Priceline Hotel: NYC - 05/07/2013 -- 05/12/2013

steboarder
By steboarder,
in

Hello -

My partner and I are looking to visit New York arriving by cruise on the 7th May 2013, preferably staying 5 nights.

Looking at the prices on the hotel websites seem to be quite expensive for the time of year so looking forward to using Priceline to hunt out a bargain!

We'd like to stay areas 2, 11, 12 & 16, ideally 3.5* or above.

Can anyone offer their views on booking so far in advance and what typical prices are for that time of year?

Many Thanks

This far in advance, you're seeing rack rates when you go to either a hotel's site or travel site. In my opinion, you're way too early to get an accurate quote for a room, much less expect a PRICELINE bargain. If you must have something reserved for your comfort level, book a cancellable room within your budget now, and start looking for bargains around January/February.

This is high-season in NYC and you should expect high prices for this time of year.

If your plans are firm i don't think it's too early to bid... but it is too early to chase this one very high. While it may ultimately take more than $180 to win a 4* hotel in one of the zones above, i would bid every other week or so with lowball offers. Given the time of year i would start low and max out at $160 or so... then as you get closer to your trip you can raise the maximum bid if necessary. You can read more about timing the bidding in the related 'Bid Early or Close to Check-in' link in our PRICELINE FAQ.

Let us know your thoughts and how you'd like to proceed and we'll take it from there.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 5 months later...

Hello,

So were now into February and still have no reservations for my Honeymoon trip to New York!

Do you think its time to start bidding on Priceline now to bag a bargain?

Many of the hotels still seem to have high prices (at least compared to last time I was in New York a few years ago)

Thanks for your help,

Steven

Rates have certainly come up over the last few years, but this remains a busy time traditionally given graduations, nicer weather and other factors. You have time to try at lower levels in the hopes that something will accept, but I'd be persistent in trying to lock in something that's acceptable within your desired budget. As noted above, starting low and working up to a ceiling of $150-160 is recommended, and if by early March nothing accepts, you can then look to push up towards $180.

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

At the moment for a 3.5* or 4* you'll likely need to be near $200/nite... for a 3* perhaps the $165-$185 area.

Is SPLITTING YOUR PRICELINE BID an option? (i wouldn't necessarily recommend it this far ahead of your trip, but you sound as if you want to get this settled sooner rather than later and perhaps a bit frustrated in your bidding)

Using MAPS and HOTELS.com (search within 1 mile of 'Times Square New York City') what is the best rate you're able to find for a 4*, 3.5*, and 3* hotel?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Hello!

I'm happy to wait - (its my to be wife that keep nagging as this is our honeymoon trip!)

I have just looked on Maps and Hotels and the following are available (plus many others):

4* Affinia Shelbourne

$226

4* Doubletree

$259

3.5* Yotel Times Sq.

$241

3* Hotel 373

$225

3* Holiday inn Mid Town

$237

3* Best Western Plus

$239

I dont think splitting the bids is an option for us.

Thanks for all your help .

Cheers

Steven

See my comments for each of these hotels:

4* Affinia Shelbourne

$226

--> Not in any of the zones you're bidding

4* Doubletree

$259

--> still $100+ below retail rates

3.5* Yotel Times Sq.

$241

--> never seen as a win on the board thru PRICELINE (as well as still $100+ per nite than you've been bidding)

3* Hotel 373

$225

--> more than double what you've been bidding at this star level

3* Holiday inn Mid Town

$237

3* Best Western Plus

$239

The 50% discounts are not likely during this busy time of year for hotels and in comparison for the Doubletree you're still $100+ below the hotel's retail rate.

You can continue to wait if you'd like, but i think the above shows that at least at the moment your rate expectations are too low. If you do choose to wait i would find a fully refundable back-up hotel to protect yourself from rates moving higher from here.

Let us know your thoughts and how you'd like to proceed and we'll take it from there.

Some options (not as your back-up but in lieu of the failed 3.5* at $201)....

If you're willing to pay just a bit more for a 4* hotel:

HOTWIRE has a 4* in the MTE zone for $222/nite and a 4* in the Chelsea zone for $238/nite.

PRICELINE EXPRESS has a 4* hotel in the MTE zone for $235/nite (but try code PLAYOFFS for 10% bringing equivalent cost closer to $212/nite)... a 4* CPS hotel for $228/nite (with code $205/nite)

... or if you've found a fully refundable back-up that is reasonable (by NYC standards ;) ) then you can simply wait it out and try again in the coming weeks.

Keep us updated on whatever you decide to do for this stay and how we can be of further help along the way.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

Just been looking on hot Rate Hotwire, there is a 3.5* (85% Hotwire reviews) + (4 out of 5 star on trip advisor)in times square at £852 for the 5 nights.

Amenities include:

High speed internet

Business Centre

Restaurant

Smoke Free rooms

Access for blind

Access for deaf

Accessible pass of travel

In room accessibility

Accessible bathroom

Any idea what this could be, It seems a cheaper deal than any on priceline (still been bidding with no luck) and the 10% off coupon code has run out! :angry:

Many Thanks!

Please change the drop down menu on the top right of HOTWIRE's page to United States and the currency dropdown to US Dollars. Then continue to search HOTWIRE and post to the board in US Dollars so that rates are consistent and not subject to interpretation due to future currency fluctuation. Once you're ready to purchase stay on the US version of their site and simply change the drop down menu to whatever currency you'd like to use and complete your purchase.

Using the method above, what is the room rate per nite?

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]