Priceline Hotel: Hotel, 3.5 star, 8-29-12 to 9-3-12

memphisman13
By memphisman13,
in

Going to NYC on Wed. August 28 and leaving on Labor Day, Sept. 3. Have stayed at the Wellington, the Days Hotel on 8th near 44th and then a great deal one time at the Helmsley New York. Have reservations at the Hotel 91 near Chinatown, and it is a full bed for $154 a night and taxes. Downside is said to be the noise of the bridge and also the smells (guess it is the food and trash). Said to be a pretty nice room for a 2.5 star on tripsadvisor, but it gets decent reviews. Dont need internet as I will be really only using my Iphone to respond to emails.

Wondering if it is realistic to get a better room near the same price. Can get like the Hampton Hotel near Times Square for $204 or so. The Doubletree, cant remember which, is not that much more. Even saw a deal on the Beekman.

Primarily we will be shopping in Soho, want to get to Tribeca, Nolita, Chinatown, and then Broadway at night, through we will see the Yankees that Sunday and the Giants preseason game the day we get there. Open to new areas to stay in if we got a fantastic deal, say the $150 we got 3 years ago for the New York Helmsley.

Looking really only for nice, clean room, non smoking, queen bed, dont even care if they have a restaurant since we just go out to the street for bagels and donuts for breakfast.

Any help would be appreciated

My dates are very similar (August 28 - Sept. 2). What I ended up doing is booking the Cosmopolitan on the Last Minute Travel Club website for $126/night (+ taxes and fees). It is a 3* in Tribeca, with a double bed. There are various codes for getting free membership to www.lmtclub.com - right now FBFREECLUB12 works. It's possible Priceline would offer a better deal, but when I tried bidding a while back, I wasn't getting anything close (even with bonus cash). Longer stays tend to be more difficult, although it's quite likely that a bid right near the dates would have worked, but I wanted to lock something down that I liked.

With On-Request, you do the booking, and then they get back to you in 24-48 hours with the result. If there's a room, they charge your card, so you can't do any PRICELINE booking or other nonrefundable booking, while you are waiting. I think almost always there is a room, so if you can stand the wait, and you see a room you want, book it and wait, is my suggestion.

Hotel 91 is convenient to soho. We will be in soho a lot shopping, and at night, going to see broadway. Is the Andaz wall street convenient for that? Love the price, around $140 a night, king bed, and much higher rated. Drawback is maybe it is so far from Broadway and Soho and Midtown shopping. Anything you recommend that I look at in the $150 price range?

Saw the Astor by the Park, upper Central Park I think, never even been up that far, for like $117 a night. Decent ratings. Anyone comment on that? Or is that too far from Soho and Times Square? I dont mind saving money, but saving $30 a night is not worth the convenience since I am already around $154 a night at the Hotel 91.

Priceline, I am still reading up on the 3 and 3.5 and 4 star hotels in areas, but that Lmt site, I can maybe pay a little more but get the exact hotel I want.

Thanks for all this help.

I checked out the Astor in the Park neighborhood when I was last in NYC, and there are interesting things around there (which I visited), but I wouldn't particularly want to stay there, and it does feel way out.

For the other location questions, maybe try Google Maps, and map out some itineraries, both by walking and by using transit. With Andaz Wall Street, you could do something like take a taxi in the morning to your first location, or back again - it could well be it's still worth the price. Another thing to consider is if you want to visit your hotel during the day, which would probably mean you want a midtown one (or set up your activities in such a way that you don't inconvenience yourself if you choose a different location).

Will, Wife said Astor out. She would visit upper east side, maybe, but Soho, Little Italy, Chinatown, Nolita, Tribeca, at least two days. She likes boutique stuff over say Macys and Bloomingdales, now that our daughter is in Atlanta. Taking the bus from the busyard to MetLife stadium for the football game that Wed, (Times Square hotel would help) and subway to the Yankees. If we get to MidTown, I might go to a hotel and pay some concierge 10 or so dollars to hold some stuff for hours until we subway it back.

$126 for the Cosmo, $139 for Andaz, $154 for the Hotel 91 - probably leaning to seeing if I cant get the Andaz as LMT. Free snacks and breakfast eats in the morning is worth $10 or so. May go see if there is a subway card as we will be using at least a ride or two each day minimum

Went to the lmt thing and put in a request for the andaz. i think they have some fees that get added, because the Andaz runs $859 for the stay and my Hotel 91 was $897. The price per night was $140 at Andaz and $154 at Hotel 91, so that was $64 spread before taxes, so maybe $76 savings, but instead it was half that. Oh well, $38 savings and a much better hotel.

If anyone else joins, the membership at lmt renews automatically and they can ding the card you use to make reservations. You can cancel more than 30 days in advance but have to send a letter.

6. TERMINATION, CANCELLATION OR EXPIRATION OF YOUR MEMBERSHIP

a. Termination of Your Membership. In the event that you fail to comply with any of these Terms and Conditions or the Guidelines, LastMinuteTravel Club may immediately terminate your Membership. If your Membership is terminated by LastMinuteTravel Club for any reason, you will not be entitled to any refund of payments or Membership Fees, and any and all Travel Commissions and/or Member Referral Bonuses earned by you may be withheld if necessary to offset any balances owed to LastMinuteTravel Club and/or LastMinuteTravel Club’s suppliers.

b. Cancellation of Your Renewal Membership. Unless you elect not to renew your Membership by notifying LastMinuteTravel Club in writing delivered to the following mailing address at least thirty (30) days prior to the expiration of your Membership, or LastMinuteTravel Club elects not to renew your Membership at least thirty (30) days prior to the expiration of your Membership, your Membership will be automatically renewed for additional terms of the same duration of time as on the initial application, subject to payment and collection of the applicable Renewal Fee(s).

LastMinuteTravel Club

c/o Travel Holdings, Inc

220 E Central Pkwy, Ste 4010

Altamonte Springs, FL 32701

Should you elect to cancel your Membership, once LastMinuteTravel Club is contacted in writing for cancellation, a cancellation number will be issued to you and a cancellation agreement may be sent to you to sign and return. Once your cancellation number is issued, you agree to return to LastMinuteTravel Club the signed cancellation agreement, if applicable. While LastMinuteTravel Club agrees to stop future billings at the time of your cancellation request, you agree that your Membership will not be canceled until this cancellation number has been issued by LastMinuteTravel Club. You further agree that should you fail to meet all of these requirements within the cancellation period provided, your Membership will remain Active and all future billings as agreed upon at enrollment will be resumed. At this point, you will be obligated to fulfill the

Seeing as how that hotel was a great price, I had no choice but to. I dont travel much, so I can see myself next month sending in that letter, as I usually use hotels.com. I will try to figure out the priceline bidding, but it seems that I travel to places where I have relatives, or to say Destin, FL, where I have a friend who rents us her condo at less than market rates, or we go to NYC every other year, so I could always join back up. Thats to the above poster, this hotel is a steal at the price I would get it at. Otherwise, it is back to reading up on the rebids and looking at what people have gotten hotels for, and I have my hotel 91 as backup at $154 a night for a double bed.

LMT could not get the room at the Andaz.

So, to recap, I have a confirmed hotel at Hotel 91 near chinatown for $154 a night, downside is it is next to the Manhattan bridge, only a full bed, but good reviews. We will be going to plays, but will be in Soho, the village and midtown for the most part. Looking for 3 star and up, queen bed and non smoking. Nights are August 29th to September 3rd.

LMT has the Astor on the Park (north of anywhere we have ever stayed) 2 beds at $113 available ($97 for one on request)

Cosmopolitan in Tribeca on request for $127

Could try Andaz again at $140 and try 2 beds this time

The Bently for $146 or $157 (available) on 62nd street

Amsterdam for $157 is available

You may say that I am best at keeping the Hotel 91, or you may have insights on getting a great deal at say the Helmsley NY on 42nd (MTE) where we have stayed but that was $150 3 years ago.

Ill be glad to try priceline.

Any help is appreciated

Here is what I got to when I just went to the negotiate your own deal screen for the first time, using the clickthrough on a thread here

4 Star Deluxe Hotel 4-Star

Check-In Date: Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Check-Out Date: Monday, September 3, 2012

Region New York City

City Areas: Midtown East

SoHo - Tribeca

Times Square - Theatre District

Check-In Time: Guaranteed late night arrival

Check-Out Time: Check-out times vary by hotel

Room 1: ****

Number of Rooms: 1

Guaranteed Amenities: Guest Score 7/10 or Higher

Number of Nights: 5

Offer Price Per Room, Per Night: $130.00

Click to Chat

Subtotal: $650.00

Taxes and Service Fees: $142.50

Total Charges*: $792.50

Do I go for it or what? Seems that Mid Town East might be a large area but we can walk from the Helmsley NY to Grand Central

That PRICELINE page is simply asking you to confirm the information that is about to be submitted... it is not indicative that PRICELINE has a hotel for you at $130/nite. At this point in the booking process inventory hasn't even been checked.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

The: Thank you. I went ahead and bid for TS and 4 star and $130. Nothing. Then increased bid to $140 and used MTE. Nothing again There were a lot of 4 star in SOHO -Tribeca and then a few in the Financial District.

1) Is it realistic to expect a room at a 4 star for less than $170 a night? If so, which hotel is likely to be it and what area should I bid to insure that.

2) Any other tips or considerations or something that might help, like go down to a 3.5 star and bid another amount?

And someone sent me a private message to say that I need to refine even more what I prefer.

Not looking for a long walk to subway. DOnt need to eat at the hotel, since I try to find the vendors with bagels and donuts or will walk while wife gets ready to bring back a coke and something. Queen bed preferred, but double bed at a 3.5 or higher is fine. I think Hotel 91 is a three star. Small room is okay, it is just us and two pieces of luggage. Stayed at the Wellington and that room was so small, roll out of bed and into the bathroom. It was fine but noisy. Helmsley New York was big for us. We will be in Soho a lot and at Times Square at night. Giants football when we arrive, Yankees on Sunday, and SUnday morning, somewhere near Chelsea and Mesa Grill for brunch. Other than that, mostly shopping. Never been on Upper East Side or anything, not really into clubs (maybe a comedy club) but do like to walk around. If you suggest we head up above 60th or so and we can get a 4 star around $150, talk to me. Being in Times Square in the past or by Grand Central, so easy for us to ride on the subway to where we need to go.

$190 for a 4 could work. I have $154 for a 3 star. SOmething like a 3.5 star for $160 to $170 would work. Wife is okay with the Hotel 91, but really would prefer a queen bed. Always the chance we could be upgraded. Because we are so close to tribeca, soho, greenwich, see is okay with that. Wants some of the funky shopping, not the Bloomies and Saks variety, so Soho and Nolita are great.

I really appreciate this forum.

$190 for a 4 could work... SOmething like a 3.5 star for $160 to $170 would work.

What is it that you want to try for first? (and $190 is the low end of the likely range... it may take up to $220) If trying 4* which zones are acceptable... if the 3.5* level which zones are acceptable?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

What did you want to try for first... a 4* hotel or a lesser expensive 3.5* property? And keep your maximum bid at $190?

Zones preferred, in order, are Soho, then Tribeca. then Times Square, then Midtown East

Soho and Tribeca are part of the same zone, not two different zones. Are you willing to pay more to stay in your first choice of zone vs. your second choice vs. your third choice... OR is your goal the least expensive property at the minimum star level you designate in any of these three zones?

Yes, max bid at $190. We can stay in any of those areas, the ideal would be to get the room as cheap as possible. I think we are going to get a 7 day unlimited subway pass, so saving $10 a night or more pays for itself. We will be in Soho and Tribeca mostly the first few days, and Broadway at night, so being closer to Soho helps that I can run back to the room with the packages I know my wife will accumulate (or we may just pay some hotel concierge wherever we are to hold them for a few hours). As you said, goal is the least expensive property at the minimum star level in any of these three zones

... the ideal would be to get the room as cheap as possible.

I assume this means that you'd prefer a less expensive 3.5* rather than a more expensive 4*?

Note that when bidding 3.5* and lower:

MTE - some 'known' hotels can be up to a 15 minute walk to the subway... is this acceptable?

Let us know the above and we'll advise accordingly.

...unless say the 4 star was a super deal.

What would you consider to be a 'super deal'?

Note that when bidding 3.5* and lower:

MTE - some 'known' hotels can be up to a 15 minute walk to the subway... is this acceptable?

Would prefer not to.

This would then reduce your 3.5* bidding to just the Times Square (typically very expensive) and Soho zones... we can certainly try, but i don't think you're giving yourself much of a chance. If you're looking for the best bang for your buck, i think a 4* in Times Square might be had for ~$215-$235... a 4* in MTE for $195-$215

HOTWIRE also has a 3.5* in the Chelsea-MSG zone for $208/nite that i believe to be the Element Times Square West. It gets excellent reviews and given that it includes breakfast, may be worth stretching your budget a bit since it would save any money that you would otherwise spend each day on breakfast.

Let us know your thoughts and how you'd like to proceed and we'll advise accordingly.

Thanks for using the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]