Hotwire Hotel: Best method for booking a weekend + weeknight stay?

vancityscotty
By vancityscotty,
in

I will be staying in new york Sept 14(friday) - september 19 (wednesday)

I've read most of the tips on bidding, free re-bid techniques etc.

I'd like to stay anywhere central manhattan (midtown east/west, central park south, etc) in a 4* if it's a smokin' deal, or a 3* for around $100/n if possible.

Should I aim to book Friday/saturday as a separate bid, and then try to score a better deal for sunday-tuesday night? It seems that the deal I'll get on fri/sat will be a higher rate than the other nights.

Or does priceline like...average out the rate? I've also read it can be hard to get 5 nights in a row, especially if it's high-occupancy nights like fri/sat followed by low-occ nights.

I don't mind switching hotels as long as it's in the same price range/general area. I'm a seasoned backpacker, so not too used to booking ahead and staying in hotels :)

Thanks for any advice, this is a great resource!s

-vcs

Welcome to BetterBidding!

If you haven't yet, please start by reading your messages.

...a 4* if it's a smokin' deal, or a 3* for around $100/n if possible.

What do you consider to be a "smokin' deal" for a 4* hotel, as your expectations for a 3* hotel at $100 are probably not realistic for these dates.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Unfortunately, after a somewhat slower Summer, rates quickly ramp in September and into the Fall until about mid-December. Based on the rates that I'm seeing for these dates, in Midtown you're probably looking at $150 (and very possibly towards the $165-185 neighborhood) for 3* or above.

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

Hmm, ok thanks for the info. A smokin' deal is hard to find in Manhattan I guess :)

I was hoping to pay around $100/n. What star level do you think I can achieve for that amount in the areas listed?

I'm totally comfortable with Holiday Inn-type hotels, just the basics y'know, we don't spend much time there anyway. I've read several reviews of 3* hotels on this and other sites and fear that a 2* or below may be a fall-apart, roach motel, but I'd love to be wrong about that.

As far as booking the weekend separately from the weeknights do you have any input on that?

Thanks a lot!

Even a "just the basics" hotel will be over $100/night in that part of Manhattan then.

Frankly, even a "fall-apart roach motel" might be $100/night.

If your budget doesn't allow for more than $100/night, I would suggest looking into staying either:

a. On the weekend, in a part of Manhattan that empties out on the weekend and may have better hotel deals (specifically lower Manhattan)

b. On the weekdays, stay across the river in NJ near a Path station - you can be in midtown in 15-20 minutes and will save a lot on your hotel.

As far as splitting weekend and weeknight, as I noted above some parts of Manhattan tend to have much less activity on the weekends and you may find better deals there. The parts of Manhattan you mentioned are in demand all week long and, while rates may be lower on weekends, they aren't going to be low enough to get into your price range.

Unfortunately even your weekend dates are not as inexpensive as you would like. At current prices you will need to likely raise your budget OR stay outside of the city and commute it. I prefer Hoboken-Jersey City-Weehawken in NJ vs. Long Island City on the NY side, but not everyone does. If looking on the NJ side you can get a 4* hotel for under $100/nite, but it will most likely (at this time) be the Sheraton Lincoln Harbor, which is not near a PATH train but there is a bus top right near the door of the hotel that will take you to NYC. It's a short trip depending upon traffic going into the Lincoln Tunnel (which is unpredictable but typically bad during rush hour)... but otherwise should only take less than 15 minutes.

Let us know your thoughts and how you'd like to proceed and we'll take it from there.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

The more I look into it, staying at the Lincoln Harbour Sheraton is a nice choice, with options of the bus or a short cab ride to the 24hr PATH station.

One last query would be your thoughts on hotel pricing in Manhattan in the southerly/northerly regions like the financial district etc. I can take the subway everywhere if there's any chance of getting Manhattan (anywhere truthfully)for "around" $100/n.

So grateful for all your wisdom and directions oh wise ones :)

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: SPRINGTRAVEL

(any Hotel, Car, or Flight where Coupon is accepted / max $60 discount... expires 03/24/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]