Priceline Hotel: 3* Lexington (East) Hyatt Place Lexington

Kate19
By Kate19,
in

I am looking to book a 3.5* in the Lexington North area for the dates of August 21-23rd. I have been trying for weeks unsuccessfully. I am really unsure how much I should be bidding, but have been using the free re-bid zones. I have been bidding in the $45-$65 range. Do you feel as though this is accurate for mid-week? Thanks for the help!

Kate19,

Well, Hotwire suggests your range is reasonable, with their 3* high at $62. Prior bidders have been successful in your range.

But when I look at the hotels other bidders have reported, there is only one 3.5* - the Marriott. And when I look at the rack rate (the rate on the Marriott site) for your dates, it is $189. That does suggest it is fairly full, or thinks it will be. While I've seen bids succeed for 30%, success tends to be more in the range of the 40% to 60% Priceline suggests. And it tends to be less than that when the hotel already has pretty good occupancy.

So - have you looked at the 3*s yet? At that level, three different hotels have been reported here. You can see them in the Hotel List (first post in this Priceline - Kentucky area). Of course you could always get a hotel not yet reported here, but the list will at least give you a general idea of what you could get.

One suggestion is to make a cancelable back-up reservation. Then you can continue calmly bidding until the last minute, just to see if you can improve.

Romelle

There is only one 'known' 3.5* hotel in the Lexington North zone which is the Marriott, and hotel direct rates start at $189/nite for your dates... making your current bids only about 1/3 of prevailing rates. How high are you willing to bid for a 3.5* property before considering other zones and/or lower your star rating?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks for the replies. I guess I am trying to avoid the clarion hotel as I have read bad reviews. If I tried for the Lexington south area 3.5* as well as 3* I would be more successful. Can you give me suggested price ranges for each of those star levels that I should attempt?

I believe the Clarion has been been downgraded to the 2.5* level so it should be safe to bid the North zone at 3* and above... do you still want to add the South zone to your bidding or do you want to continue to stick with only the North zone?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Kate19,

You've got quite a bit of time left, and you have free rebids. The range you were using before would certainly be reasonable, and may well work for the other zone and/or the 3* level.

Alternatively, I do see several $39 wins at the 3* level. I purely hate to leave money on the table, so I'd probably start with that. Just to prove it to myself. The rack rate of that Marriott, plus the $62 3* Hotwire, do suggest it won't work, but I'd try it anyway.

Romelle

PS - I'm a member, not a moderator. FYI.

Yes, perhaps I will also consider the Lexington south zone for both the 3 and 3 1/2* levels.

What do you want to try for first...

3.5* in the North or South zones OR the least expensive 3* or better in either zone?

When bidding 3* you have ONE re-bid zones. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 3* Lexington North...

Bid $40, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $45, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3* Lexington South...

Bid $40, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $45, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3* Lexington North and Lexington South...

Bid $48, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $50

Any questions feel free t ask.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

I am so very sorry, but would you mind helping me with the bidding strategy for the 3.5* hotels instead? I realize we probably wouldn't be able to get the Lexington North 3.5 star hotel, so perhaps the Lexington South zone may work out better? Either is really fine, but after reading some reviews of the Sheraton 4 points as well as some others I don't think I am willing to risk the 3* price.

I am sorry for having you take the time to assist me with the 3* already.

Thanks.

When bidding 3.5* in this region you have TWO re-bid zones. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

(NOTE: 're-bid zone1' is not the same as priceline's Zone1, 're-bid zone2' is not the same as priceline's Zone2, etc, etc)

Select 3.5* Lexington South...

Bid $50, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $55, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $58, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3.5* Lexington North...

Bid $50, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $55, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $58, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3.5* Lexington South and Lexington North...

Bid $60, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $63, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $65

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

All of the bids were unsuccessful. :( Is the price range too low? Or is it too early to be bidding for this?

No, it is not too early to be bidding for your dates. I think the high rack rate for the 3.5* Marriott is telling us they think they will be well occupied, and they won't have to provide any particular bargains.

I did look at the reviews for the Lex North Sheraton 4 points, and there are some sad tales there. A situation like that is sometimes referred to as a "category killer" because people avoid bidding it just because of a single problem place. However, if you don't want to increase your budget for the 3.5* bidding, maybe you could bid the Lex South and Lex East zones at the 3* level?

Romelle

Kate19, for what it's worth, I've stayed in all three of the reported 3 star North hotels in the last year. The Courtyard, the 4 Points and the Clarion. All three were clean and what I would expect for a 3 star Priceline hotel. The Clarion was a little older and the fixtures were showing their age, but we found nothing unsanitary or unclean. The beds were comfortable. The 4 Points seemed to have had recent work done as the carpets in the halls seemed to be new and the rooms definitely seemed to be "newer" furniture. Finally, the Courtyard structure was older, but the rooms had been upgraded to their new layout (I've stayed at a few Courtyards). We had a decent experience at all 3 for what it's worth. Just an FYI, I think the Courtyard and the 4 Points are 100% non smoking hotels. The Clarion does have some smoking rooms, make sure to give them a call and request a non smoking room if that is what you prefer.

Just another FYI, don't forget, if you get the Hyatt 3.5 downtown, don't forget that they will charge you for parking by the night.

Obviously, my standards may differ from yours, but we certainly didn't have any problems in the 3 stars in the Lex N area, and wound up with great deals.

petrel800,

Thanks so much for posting this. I once read of a hotel that had fired some employees and they chose to retaliate by posting some really ugly reviews. It practically put the hotel out of business. Anonymous reviews do always have to be taken with a large grain of salt. Additionally, things do change.

I've stayed several different times at a Copthorne hotel in London that has gotten some bad reviews. Like you in Lexington, I've had no problems with it. In fact, I've been completely happy with it.

Romelle

Agreed, I find with Trip Advisor, it's a good resource, but you definitely have to read what people are complaining about. Some folks are just unreasonable with their expectations. I just read one on the 4 Points Lexington that they gave a 3 out of 5, no complaints about the room, but they docked them 2 whole points because the hallways were hot, the room didn't have the AC on when they arrived (I see this at a lot of hotels in the summer to save energy), and the lock in their 1st room didn't work, so the desk moved them. Sometimes things break and don't get reported, if the desk takes care of you in a timely fashion, why would you complain on a travel website. I'd understand if the desk told you to deal with it, but sometimes minor things happen. I read another one that gave the hotel a 2 out of 5 because the breakfast wasn't free . . .?

I guess as much of a tool as these sites can be, there are just some people who will not be satisfied no matter what.

Oh well, not to jack the thread, Kate19, if you have any specific questions about the hotels in the Lex N area, I'd be happy to try and answer from my personal experience there. As another FYI, the Lexington East area doesn't appear to have any wins listed on the board, but there is a nice cluster of Hotels there off of Man O War Blvd. Not sure what would come up there and for what price, I've tried and always wound up in the N zone, but I believe there is a Hyatt Place there and a Homewood Suites, which typically are 3 stars in other areas. It would be a complete crap shoot in that area since no wins are listed, but could be worth a look as well.

Thank you to everyone who has posted in this thread with help! I am so dissapointed because I am currently bidding in multiple cities for a long roadtrip I am taking and everything has been unsuccessful. I may try again tonight or tomorrow and up by bid by $10 for the 3.5 stars and if that doesn't work then I might consider giving the Lexington East section a try. I completely understand what you. petrel800, are saying about the tripadvisor reviews. It only bothers me when I read about the room being dirty or bugs. We will see what happens! I will be sure to post (hopefully!) a winning bid soon!

Thanks again everyone

Would someone please be able to identify these hotels for me. I have been unsuccessful bidding for the Lexington North and South areas at the 3.5* level.

Dates of travel for the Lexington hotels would be 8/21-8/23

3* Lexington South - Blue Grass Field LEX area hotel

Recommended in 85% of Hotwire customer reviews

$55 per night

Indoor pool(s)

Airport Shuttle

Fitness Center

Pool(s)

Restaurant(s)

Business Center

High-Speed Internet Access

Accessible for the blind

Accessible for the deaf

Free Parking

Accessible path of travel

In-room accessibility

Accessible bathroom

Handicapped parking

Roll-in shower

Can you also ID this hotels as well:

2.5* Lexington South - Blue Grass Field LEX area hotel

Recommended in 90 % of Hotwire customer reviews

$46 night

Ammenities:

Indoor pool(s)

Smoke Free Rooms

High-Speed Internet Access

Free Parking

Free Breakfast

Free Internet

In-room accessibility

I clicked on the links to access HOTWIRE.com

Thanks!

My best guess for each:

3* Lexington South - Blue Grass Field LEX area hotel

Crowne Plaza Lexington at The Campbell House

2.5* Lexington South - Blue Grass Field LEX area hotel

Comfort Suites Lexington

Thanks for using the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board.

Let us know how it goes or if we can be of further help.

Bidding for Lexington for these dates has been very challenging. Started with the 3 1/2* in North and South Zones unsuccessful up to $96 starting around $50 for those. That was over a period of weeks I slowly started working up. I then took a chance on the East zone not really knowing any potential hotels that I might get. I was hoping for the Hyatt Place in this Zone as this is what I probably would have booked if the bidding didn't work out. I was running out of patience! I bid $79 and got a counteroffer bid for $98 and denied that and bid 83 and was denied. So i tried a different credit card and started at $84 and was also offered a counter offer of $98. Denied that and then bid the $86 and was accepted. Didn't save very much, but just glad it's over and this seems to be a fairly nice property!

Thanks for everyone's assistance on the boards!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]