Priceline Hotel: 4* Newark - Meadowlands (Jersey City - Hoboken - Weehawken) Sheraton Lincoln Harbor Hotel

gohawks8941
By gohawks8941,
in

I have already been working on this for 2 weeks and I am getting frustrated. I am a veteran priceliner and encouraged by the 120-130 a night hotels in Manhattan all summer, I was excited to book a great flight deal for our first trip to NYC next month. I had no idea hotels would jump so much in September. My wife and I are flying into LGA that week and I dont really care if we stay in Manhattan, Long Island City or even downtown Brooklyn or another zone that is not to far from LGA. Anywhere close to the subway (or 15 minutes walk or so) and one that will not cost me $100 taxi rides each way(New Jersey?) I have bid every zones in Manhattan up to $160 above a 3 star and retried many times (I think Priceline is about to ban me) and have bid up to $150 in Long Island City and downtown Brooklyn. I am spoiled by the 4 star hotel deals in Texas for under $50. Other zones strategies I should try? Thanks much for any input.

... one that will not cost me $100 taxi rides each way(New Jersey?)

Do you mean taxi into Manhattan or taxi to LaGuardia... although neither is $100, nor do you need to take a taxi at all.

Given the high prices you're seeing Jersey City-Hoboken-Weehawken might be an decent option at $150 or less. If you do bid this zone the Sheraton would be most likely outcome i would think, and while the least desirable in the zone, it is still quite do-able.

A few options to commute daily into the city, the least expensive of which is by bus which is right by the hotel entrance at a cost of ~$3.20 each way... most expensive is by ferry at a cost of $9 each way (which you might want to do once simple because it's a nice experience to arrive to Manhattan via taxi)... other options inbetween these two but most likely you would commute by bus and it's a short trip (assuming you don't hit Lincoln Tunnel traffic, which is always unpredictable, but usually bad during the morning commute of before 10am... but there are other options if needed)

You can get from LGA to Weehawken (or Jersey City if necessary) a few ways, but the easiest/least expensive of which would be to take the shuttle or taxi to Port Authority... then the bus to the hotel.

I can answer any questions you have regarding the area or other commute options if you need... of course staying in Manhattan is the best possible scenario, but when it comes to value, the NJ side can certainly be do-able.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks for your input. I mean taxi to New Jersey from LGA and back. I was looking at that Sheraton in Weehawken as well (I saw it was won for $90 a night the same week we are there or right after) which I too saw it has a ferry stop. On there web sight it says LGA taxi is $120 each way even though its only 11 miles from the airport so that was my concern. I am fine with taking the bus or ferry from the hotel to Manhattan and then the subway but obviously if it costs me $250 taxi ride R/T from LGA to Weehawken then I might as well just fork over the money for Manhattan which I assume now will run me close to a $1000 with tax for 4 nights. So with that in mind if I can get that Sheraton for under $150 that may be a good deal as I cannot seem to find that in Long Island City or downtown Brooklyn. Looks like the views from there of Manhattan were amazing. Thanks much for the insight. :D

...if it costs me $250 taxi ride R/T from LGA to Weehawken then I might as well just fork over the money for Manhattan...

That sounds excessive for the airport, here are some options:

1) Ferry to Manhattan ($9pp) then take a taxi once on the Manhattan side (~$30)

2) Bus to Manhattan ($3.20pp) then take a taxi once on the Manhattan side (~$30)

3) Bus to Manhattan ($3.20pp) then take a shuttle from Port Authority (~$15/pp)

4) a local taxi company i just called charges $65+tolls (the 'issue' is that the Lincoln Tunnel toll is $12 (only when entering Manhattan... not when leaving) and if they take the midtown tunnel (optional route) it's another $6.50)

Option #2 would be the best in terms of cost/convenience... although #1 is nice if the ferry schedule works for your needs and it's a nice day (it's really cool seeing Manhattan approach as you travel on water)

Are you ready to try bidding for the Jersey City zone now or are you still only considering it?

Let us know how you'd like to proceed and we'll advise accordingly.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

EDIT TO ADD: note that gqboy did just win a Priceline Long Island City hotel for $145/nite. Dates are different than your but i mention since i know you were following/contributing to that thread.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I am a little leery of taking the bus with luggage. However I like your manhattan/taxi/ferry plan. So taxi from LGA to ferry stop in Manhattan $30? Even on Monday morning during rush hour? Ferry $9 PP which goes right to the Sheraton hotel? and then reverse back to LGA? In essence I spend around $100 total to and from the airport? I can deal with that. If this plan sounds legit to you yes I am ready to bid in NJ. Love this web sight everyone in our office comes and asks me about helping them find travel deals and I tell people about betterbiddng all the time :) . Oh one more question how do I tell the cab driver what ferry stop that would be in Manhattan? Thanks again for all your input.

I do see on Hotwire in LIC a 3 star for $130. 70% Does anyone know what hotel that is? I dont see a 3 star listed. Ammenties say Fitness Center, Business Center, High-Speed Internet Access Free Parking, Free Breakfast, Free Internet. I was thinking maybe unlisted La Quinta LIC or upgraded Holiday Inn Express LIC? I may be able to sell the Holiday Inn Express if it is that. Especially if it is close to the subway, trying to figure that one out. LIC is most preferred I think transportation wise if close to the subway.

Thanks

So taxi from LGA to ferry stop in Manhattan $30? Even on Monday morning during rush hour?

$30 is the right ballpark, but depending upon route there may also be a toll ($6.50 if taking the midtown tunnel... no toll if taking the 59th St Bridge). Rush hour is very unpredictable and naturally if you get caught in traffic it could be more. If this is a concern you could take the shuttle to Port Authority since that is a flat fee... then taxi from Port Authority to the ferry terminal (~$6-7, but of course this is less convenient since it requires an extra stop/transfer at the Port Authority)

...how do I tell the cab driver what ferry stop that would be in Manhattan? Thanks again for all your input.

You want to get to the NY Waterway Ferry Terminal at 39th St and 12th Ave. Here is a link to the ferry website schedule and information for this route.

I do see on Hotwire in LIC a 3 star for $130... I dont see a 3 star listed.

???

Amenities: Fitness Center, Business Center, High-Speed Internet Access See all

Free Parking, Free Breakfast, Free Internet

Please click the SHOW ME button next to this offering, then click the 'See all' link and the end of the amenities... do you see more amenities than what you've included above?

Best guess for this 3* property is the Holiday Inn Express Maspeth, upgraded from the 2.5* level since the last time it was reported to the board.

Note under the feedback from previous HOTWIRE guests that this property gets a 2.5/5.0 rating for Location... which is probably not going to suit your needs for this trip very well.

Thanks that may be a decent choice as it is a new hotel and has free shuttle to airport and to the subway. It looks as though its about 1.5 miles to the subway. I am wondering when coming back from the city at night if it is safe to walk in that area or if I will be able to find a cab in queens at night? The price also dropped on this hotel to $124. Thanks much for all your input this hotel may work for me.

As previously noted i'm not really a fan of this whole area as it's still fairly industrial and not a place i'd be looking to walk around late at nite. The 2.5/5.0 from previous HOTWIRE guests should be a red flag, imo, but it's your stay.

Well you convinced me (again) to try for the Sheraton in Weehawken. I started at $90 and kept adding areas in NJ until I ran out at $120. :angry:

Weird thing is its been booked for under $100 a number of times in September. Looks like it is $156 on Hotwire that week so I am probably not too far off but was really liking the idea of around $100 since I will have additional airport transportation fees. <sigh>

Rates for your complete stay are higher then when others have won at sub-$100... you may be able to get the first nite cheaper than the remaining three nites, but if you SPLITTING YOUR PRICELINE BID like that you run the risk of winning a different hotel and possibly would need to change properties mid-trip.

Well that plan worked For the Sheraton Lincoln Harbor. I figured out based upon the hotwire price changes (I am assuming the same hotel) of $108 on Monday September 17th and then $156 on Tuesday and Wednesday September 18th and 19th and back to $108 on Friday September 20th. So I assumed that correctly Tuesday and Wednesday were the expensive nights. I had bid as high as $135 (downgrading to a 3 star) and got the hook. So I am assuming $140 may have gotten it for all 4 nights or about $670 total with tax. End result wins (I will post) were $90 for Monday and $90 Thursday and $135 (go figure) for Tuesday and Wednesday. End result total for all 4 nights with Tax was $545.48. :D

Thanks for all your help.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]