Travel from Vancouver, BC to Rome, Italy

bigenna
By bigenna,
in

Vancouver to Rome late October to early November

This is my first post to this forum and I would like to try to bid on this flight. However I am concerned about the maximum layover that might occur. Is there any way to find out what that might be before I put in a bid? I don't mind having flights at any time of day or night but hate to think I might be stuck at an airport waiting for a connecting flight for many hours.

Can any one help me?

This reply from Priceline this morning:

"Connection times for domestic travel (travel within the U.S.), can be up

to 3 hours, depending on the best available routing. Keep in mind that

80% of domestic connections booked by priceline are 2 hours or less.

International layovers can be longer and vary by region. We always try

to make the layover time as short as possible."

I know they used to present specific statistics, but maybe are not doing that anymore.

Sorry I couldn't shake out more help for you.

Romelle

Thanks Romelle

I also got some direction from Priceline by email.

Following their directions :

Go to "Search Flights" then under the "help" menu at the top right of the page, click on FAQ.

Halfway down that page it has a box "search by topic". When I entered "layover" it took me to "connections, stops, and layovers", where I got this :

If you choose to Name Your Own Price® , or choose any reservation where the full itinerary is not disclosed prior to purchase, we will always search first for non-stop flights; however, you must agree to make at least one connection each way. By agreeing to make "up to at least one connection," you could be placed on a flight with either one stop OR one connection, but never one connection plus one or more stops. Similarly, if you agree to make up to two connections, you could receive a reservation with one stop AND one connection, or two stops, or two connections. Connection time is determined in conjunction with the best available routing. You will see your complete itinerary, including total stops and/or connections and connection times after your purchase is completed.

Additional information on Name Your Own Price® or other undisclosed itinerary connections:

Domestic travel: Connection times for domestic travel can be up to 3 hours, depending on the best available routing. Keep in mind that 80% of domestic connections are 2 hours or less.

International travel: When flying internationally, connection times vary according to the destination. Please review our guide to average and longest international connection times.

Following along to the guide I got this information :

Average and Maximum International Connection Times

Destination region

Africa 3.9 8

Asia 3.0 8

Australia 2.5 8

Canada 1.5 4

Caribbean 1.5 4

Central/South America 2.3 5

Europe 2.3 6

Mexico 2.3 5

Middle East 3.4 7

South Africa 4.5 12

*Data updated 7/1/2005

The first set of numbers is the average, the second set is the maximum. It does say Data updated in 2005 do I hope that is still valid.

Thank you! I was so sure it was there somewhere, but just wasn't finding it. Must have been asleep at the keyboard.

For your initial research before bidding, matrix.itasoftware.com is sort of a one-stop shop. Similar to Kayak, but actually more powerful.

If it would work for you, sometimes SEA can be a little less expensive than YVR. You can check both of them at the same time with the above package by just coding "yvr,sea" in Departing From.

Romelle

Thanks, but now I have another problem. I tried to enter a bid but their was no way to complete my address as their drop down menu does not list any Canadian provinces. I have emailed their help center but if anyone knows the answer so I can start my bidding today that would be great.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]