Priceline Hotel: 2.5* West Des Moines - Rejected!

Nautica3
By Nautica3,
in

Tried and rejected for the following (all for Aug 10-15):

1) 2.5*, West Des Moines/Clive, $32/night

2) 2*, WDM/Cl, $25/night

3) 2.5*, WDM/Cl, $33/night (added DSM Airport area for instant rebid)

4) 2*, WDM/Cl, $27/night (added NW DSM/Urbandale area for instant rebid)

At this point I gave up and booked the Clarion via H/W for $35/night (details in Iowa Hotwire thread).

I half expected this, as the Iowa State Fair is running that week. Glad I had H/W to fall back on. It's obvious that reservations are up that week, because the first 2 bids are old standards that have historically been successful many times (I've done them myself more than once), and the secondary bids are slightly higher.

[Granted, I had some "relocation" risk w/ bid #4, as there are no 2* hotels in the NW DSM area, but there are 2.5* ones. Still, I figured I wasn't likely to have a 2.5* hotel pick up a $27/night bid, and even if they did, it's a decent area and only a 5-mile difference in distance, and a great rate for a 2.5*!]

Nautica3

Even if H/W can't *beat* P/L directly on price, it still works for me under certain situations.

If I've tried a couple times on P/L, and can't get accepted on what I believe are reasonable

offers, and H/W is offering a hotel at a fairly close price, I'll go with H/W, since it's a sure thing.

I don't mind paying a buck or two more per night for the sure thing.

Then again, I'm going for the same area over & over again, and I know all the hotels that

are likely to be involved, so I've got some pretty decent working knowledge of what to expect.

This strategy won't work for everyone.

Nautica3 <-- Hoping to find a job in St. Louis so I can stop travelling!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]