Smoke free rooms

Indoor Pool(s)

Fitness Center

Restuarant(s)

Accessible Bathrooms

Accessible for the blind / deaf

High Speed internet

Business Center

Also does anyone know if this location is close to the PATH train into NYC?

Thanks!

Please follow-up your previous Hotwire Washington DC thread with whatever you ended up doing for that trip... then click each of these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links and reply to this thread, we'll have a look at the offer above.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... and your searches too!

Thanks.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not currently seeing this property offered when searching HOTWIRE for your dates... are you still seeing the above on your own search? If so, are you searching HOTWIRE for more than one room or for more than the default 2adults/0children?

Thanks for using the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

...or bus stop 2 blocks away, 40 minute ride to midtown.

Not sure where you read 40 minutes... without traffic it's about 10 minutes, but anytime you're dealing with the Lincoln Tunnel traffic is a big unknown.

A third option, other than the two you mentioned, is to take the PATH from Hoboken, but there are a few options on how you get to Hoboken Terminal (walk (25 min), lightrail ($2pp), bus ($3.45/pp))

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

I love the site - but I'm still not 100% sure how to use it to it's fullest. Here's what we want to do:

What we need: Dec 7 - 9 for touristy trips into the city. 2 rooms, for a total of 4 adults and 2 children (12 and 6). 3* in Long Island City near subway. We're driving in and parking. I'd be thrilled to get the Holiday Inn Manhattan View ( as others have won) but I need some bidding help. I typically use HOTWIRE, but everything I've read here points to the 3* hotel they feature being in Maspeth.

Please advise,

Be aware that Priceline gives you no option to ask for or bid for a room with two beds, it's single occupancy only. A hotel that takes your big "might" negotiate with you for a double room but there's no guarantee. Hotwire is going to be a better bet for you or contact the area hotels direct for any deals.

Good idea - so let me clarify a bit

What we need: Dec 7 - 9 for touristy trips into the city. 2 rooms, for a total of 4 adults and 2 children (12 and 6). Hoping for a 3* in Long Island City near subway. We're driving in and parking. I'd be thrilled to get the Holiday Inn Manhattan View.

We are traveling in 1 vehicle from New England. My preference is a 3* in LI city for a max of $180 a night (not incl parking, taxes etc). If I cannot get into LIC I'd consider Jersey City on Hotwire, but the transportation doesn't appear to be as smooth. Walking 2 blocks to a bus, transfering to PATH train, then more subway transfers in NYC.

Thanks again Better Bidding!

I'm very comfortable with MTA, not so much with PATH and NJ busses.

Walking 2 blocks to a bus, transfering to PATH train, then more subway transfers in NYC.

Not sure where you're getting your Sheraton Lincoln Harbor information but as long as you're not traveling during the wee hours of the morning (ie- not between 1:30am-5am) there is only one bus needed and there is a stop right in front of the hotel.

However, we will move forward with Long Island City...

It was eluded to above, but never really answered... by using PRICELINE you're willing to take the risk of receiving rooms with only one bed in each?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

That's good to know - I had heard from someone on TripAdvisor that it was a 2 block walk to the bus? Our plan is a full day in the city, probably returning to the hotel after a show (11-12 pm). I do know the risks with Priceline and I've only gotten burned once at Niagara Falls. I figured if it's a 3 * hotel on LI our odds are pretty good that they will have a room with 2 double beds (we only need one of the two rooms to have this). Let me ask this: I've already bid up to $180 on Priceline and been rejected. Added all the Manhattan Zones obviously. Do you see any reason for that to change or become more available at LIC? Or should I just move on to the NJ location?

Thanks!

Inventory is always changing so it's certainly possible that something could become available later on as you get closer to your trip.

It appears that HOTWIRE is experimenting on some searches by showing two hotels at the same star rating per zone. When searching your dates, 2rooms/4adults/2children i see the 'usual' 4* hotel in the Hoboken-Jersey City zone with TWELVE AMENITIES and a 90% recommendation from previous guests and a 4.0/5.0 TA rating:

Indoor Pool

Smoke Free

Fitness

Restaurant

Business

Hi-Speed Internet

Blind Accessible

Deaf Accessible

Travel Accessible

Room Accessible

Bathroom Accessible

Handicapped Parking

HOWEVER there is an alternate 4* hotel offered which has FIFTEEN amenities listed, a 95% recommendation from previous guests, and a 4.5/5.0 TA rating:

Indoor Pool

Smoke Free

Fitness

Pool

Restaurant

Business

Hi-Speed Internet

Blind Accessible

Deaf Accessible

Free Internet

Room Accessible

Wheelchair Accessible

Bathroom Accessible

Handicapped Parking

Roll-in Shower

If you can get this second property to appear best guess for this one is the Westin or the Hyatt Regency, both of which are near a PATH station, and that would be my first choice... but ultimately it's your trip so you have to decide if you'll be happy in NJ or not.

Let us know what you decide and how it goes or how we can be of further help.

Hello I'm back to close out this thread with what we decided. I've been to NYC dozens of times. On another trip I'd give Jersey City a try. But bringing older people down to NYC for the first time, in the winter, convenience was #1. So we opted for the more expensive Long Island City (10 minutes to Midtown on the subway). Using the betterbidding links, we couldn't get a win in from PRICELINE up to $190 a night - didn't try higher. I did get the Hotel Verve for $154 (King rm), and $195 (2 doubles room) including breakfast and free cancellation. I'm happy with how it ended up - thanks for the research and help BB!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]