Hotwire Hotel: 3* Chicago (Vernon Hills - Lincolnshire - Mundelein) La Quinta Inn and Suites North Shore

KyleF
By KyleF,
in

I'm new to this forum, but not to Priceline bidding. As for hotwire, I've only booked one stay before for my parents. Therefore, I could use some hotel advice for Chicago.

Looking to spend three nights the Chicago area, Tuesday 7/31 - Friday Morning 8/3. I have two younger kids (3 & 7) so we are planning on doing the downtown attractions such as the Shedd Aquarium, natural history museum, possibly planetarium, navy pier, Lincoln park zoo, maybe other things? Based on those locations, I would think of bidding on Priceline for a downtown hotel. However, and it a a big however, we will drive to Chicago so we have parking to contend with. When you combine $30-$55 a night parking and the fact my wife is getting tired on staying in fancy hotels that cater to business and aren't kid friendly. Plus, complementary breakfast would be a big help in the morning to get us going without the added costs/time constraints of eating fast food in the car.

So, I'm thinking hotwire might be a better option. Am I correct in thinking we can specify 2 adults / 2 kids and be guaranteed a double room?

Here are the options I'm thinking about, it would be nice to stay under a $100 a night and not be too far, but the driving trade-off might be fine. I'm thinking once we get downtown, we would stay there and see everything over the course of two to three days.

1) Ithaca Area Hotel, 3* $53 a night - Amenities Indoor pool(s), Fitness Center, Pool(s), Free Parking, Breakfast, Internet, 95% recommendation

2) O'Hare North, 2.5* $62 night - Amenities Airport Shuttle, Fitness Center, Restaurant, Free Parking, Breakfast, Internet, 85% recommendation

3) Lombard -Oak brook - Downers Grover 3*, $52 a night - Amenities Fitness, Business Center, High-Speed Internet, Free Parking, Breakfast, 85% recommendation

4) Any other good options? Priceline express (or is there the bed issue unless I get an all double hotel), Priceline? I can pay more, but everything with free breakfast and parking seems to be about 10-15 outside of the city and in the $50-65 range.

Thanks in advance – sorry for the long post.

Welcome to Betterbidding. :)

Personally, I'd skip Navy Pier, although the Children's Museum is there - personally, I like the combination of the Peggy Notabert Nature Center and Lincoln Park Zoo, which are next to each other (the former does charge admission, the latter does not.)

Are you looking to stay in an outlying area the first night or all nights? I often recommend staying in the suburbs, especially for those driving. I usually recommend the North Burbs, which offer a few sights (Wagner Farm, Ravinia Music Festival and the Chicago Botanic Garden - Ravinia is all Summer and the nation's oldest outdoor music festival, while the Chicago Botanic is in the burbs, despite the name.) Plus, you are near the beach and the suburbs offer a good deal of restaurants/shopping. Ravinia does have some family concerts. Parking at nearly all of the North Suburb hotels is free (aside from the few hotels in the suburb of Evanston.)

Otherwise, to the NW of the city, I recommend Schaumburg. On HOTWIRE, further North in the North burbs, I see a possible match for the La Quinta North Shore (which is an all-suite property) for $61 for 7/31-8/3. There is a very nice Dominicks Grocery a few minutes drive from that property for cheaper snacks/drinks (although that offers free breakfast, too). They are doing some work on the main road near that property - it shouldn't create noise issues, but may make getting in/out of the hotel a tad more difficult at times.

If you stay in the suburbs, I'd suggest considering taking the Metra train in (metrarail.com) instead of driving.

PRICELINE only guarantees 1 bed/double occupancy - you can request two beds with the hotel after making a reservation. It's less of a risk the hotel would say no in the suburbs vs the city, but there is still the possibility. With HOTWIRE, if you select 2/2, that should ensure bedding for the entire party - that is commonly 2 beds, but can be 1 + sofabed or 1 + rollaway.

In terms of the HOTWIRE listing above, please provide the complete set of amenities associated with each listing.

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

I'm not seeing a hotel for $61 when I enter 7/31-8/3 and 2 adults/2children. I added the addition zones too? We are looking to stay at one hotel for the duration of the stay. Maybe I'm confused by what is considered the north burbs. Are you talking $61 as shown, or $61 when all fees are entered in? The amounts I mentioned were in the search listings.

Thanks for your advice on places to visit and stay. I'll use the proper links to book our stay. For the amenities, do you want the expanded set or he ones initially displayed, which is what I did?

I see two La Quintas listed as 2.5* - one in O'Hare north and one in Oakbrook. Is one of these hotels the LaQuinta ou are referring too? Do you think the hotel I listed in Ithaca is the Hyatt Place? It looks like a newer renovated place, but I know getting around the airport can be horrible.

My only worry about the Metra is that I thought it dropped off at Union station and transportation hubs that would require decent walks? My youngest is just about 3 and I worry about the kids being too tired when we get to the destinations.

Please provide the full (expanded) list of amenities for each HOTWIRE listing.

The North Suburban areas on HOTWIRE are Skokie-Evanston-Niles (closest to the city), Northbrook-Glenview-Mt Prospect (next area further North) and Vernon Hills-Lincolnshire-Mundelein (yet further North and parts of that zone start to get what I'd call "far North" or at least "far-ish" North)

In the Vernon Hills zone when searching for these dates for 2adults/2children, I'm seeing a 3* for $61 (before taxes/fees) (the price you see may vary slightly) w/

Suite

Indoor pool(s)

Fitness Center

Pool(s)

Laundry Facilities (self-service)

High-Speed Internet Access

Free Parking

Free Breakfast

Free Internet

In-room accessibility

Wheelchair accessible

Accessible bathroom

Handicapped parking

This would be a possible match for the La Quinta North Shore.

The Metra Trains either end at Union or Ogilvie, but there is transit ("L" or bus) nearby or not too far a walk away that goes to other parts of the city. If you drive to the city, there is actually a long but pretty "scenic" route from the North 'burbs, but otherwise I'd take the expressway in - parking at downtown lots is expensive (parking for the Museum Campus - Shedd/Field/Adler), which is the Soldier Field lot - http://www.soldierfieldparking.com/rates.php)

Additionally, one recommendation would be to see the Shedd first thing in the morning, before it gets crowded - it can get jammed, and I just don't think it's as enjoyable when it's packed.

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

Thanks for the great advice!

I think I see it now, it is coming up as $62 for me. Sounds like a good deal for the hotel. I'm also curious if you could help me identify the 3* hotel I mentioned. Truthfully, my experience in Chicago has been more in the western suburbs, but I'd like to have two options to run by my family. I've tried pulling the hotel up on Tripadvisor, but not having luck. I was trying to figure out the milage to downtown Chicago. (Edit - looks like Bannockburn, IL?)

Dates 7/31 - 8/3/12

Chicago, IL - Ithaca zone

3* - $54 a night (other sites $100) 95% recommendation

3-star Hotel in Itasca

This Hotel features the following amenities:

Indoor pool(s), Fitness Center, Pool(s), Laundry Facilities (self-service), Golf Nearby, Tennis Nearby, Free Parking, Free Breakfast, Free Internet, In-room accessibility

The La Quinta that this listing is a possible match for is in Bannockburn (tripadvisor: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g35644-d248638-Reviews-La_Quinta_Inn_Suites_Chicago_North_Shore-Bannockburn_Illinois.html) . There are a couple of different ways to go, although the hotel is right next to the Expressway, and that is definitely the quickest route downtown.

The Itasca property has not yet been ID'd/reported to the board, but my guess is that the Country Inn/Suites Elk Grove Village would be a possibilities, although it could be something else.

I am seeing a 2.5* in Schaumburg for $44 (the price you see may vary) w/Fitness Center

Business Center

Golf Nearby

Free Parking

Free Breakfast

Free Internet

Wheelchair accessible

If you click on 'see detail', then scroll down on the detail page, there is a 4.5/5 tripadvisor rating (double check that you are seeing this as well). That listing has not yet been ID'd, but may be something along the lines of the Wingate Schaumburg.

Additionally, the Food area on the top floor of the IKEA in Schaumburg is a great spot for cheap eats if you do decide to stay in that area.

In the North Burbs, Bannockburn is also not far from the very quaint historic town of Long Grove, which has the Long Grove Confectionery (http://www.visitlonggrove.com/), a very famous candy store. In the North Burbs, there's also Homer's Ice Cream (http://www.homersicecream.com/history.asp), which has been around since the '30's and has been ranked as one of the best in the country. As for the Farm I mentioned above, this is the website (http://www.wagnerfarm.org/) - that's a small place/quick family-friendly stop, but interesting and kind of fun to see a farm in the middle of developed suburbia. The Chicago Botanic (http://www.chicagobotanic.org/calendar) also has family-friendly activities, as well. Schaumburg does have Legoland (http://www.legolanddiscoverycenter.com/chicago/)

Thanks for the great advice. Ran everything by my wife and we will probably drive and park at the sites. So I'm guessing we will try to group things together to avoid having too many parking fees.

Her concern is the traffic on the way in, so she wants me to scout out the Evanston-Skokie-Niles area. I not fimilar with the 90/94 in that part of town if it has carpool lanes.

Here are the two hotels, hoping you can help me ID them.

3* Evanston-Skookie-Niles area, 70% reccomeneded

$80 - $126 other sites

Indoor pool(s)

Fitness Center

Pool(s)

Restaurant(s)

Tennis Nearby

Accessible for the blind

Braille or raised signage

Accessible for the deaf

Free Parking

Accessible path of travel

In-room accessibility

Accessible bathroom

Handicapped parking

<amenity names only please... not descriptions>

Roll-in shower

#2 - Doesn't have parking, so I'd like to ID to figure out parking costs

2.5* Evanston-Skokie-Niles area , 95% recommended

$86 - $114 other sites

Fitness Center

Pool(s)

Resturant(s)

Laundry Facilites (self Service)

High Speed Internet

Golf Nearby

Free Breakfast

Free Internet

I'd steer clear from the 3*, which I'm guessing is the Holiday Inn North Shore in Skokie. I'm not seeing the 2* when searching for these dates.

A suggestion would be the Hilton Garden Inn Evanston, which is $108 on sale on Expedia - while more expensive, that is in an awesome location right in Downtown Evanston (some shopping, lots of restaurants - it's a college town, Northwestern), but the a main benefit is that you are less than a block from both a Metra *and* a CTA station (both next to each other, right down the street), so you have the option of either. Additionally, the HGI offers a refrigerator and a Microwave - there's a very nice Whole Foods grocery about 3-4 blocks East. The downside is that the hotels in Evanston do charge for parking, given the density of Evanston - I believe the HGI is $13 or so a day.

From Evanston, you could also take Sheridan road along the lake (or near the lake at times) to Lake Shore Drive and take that downtown if you drove, but having the choice of both Metra and CTA down the street from the HGI is a definite plus.

Please use the site's Expedia, HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

Just a follow-up on this post. I signed in to HOTWIRE based on someone else's post that there was a one day sale. I just got a one-day sale email after signing in yesterday.

Hoping you can help me ID the properties.

Dates 7/31 - 8/3/12

Chicago, IL

Here is the 2.5* in Evanston-Skokie-NIles for $82 (no logged in is $97) Says still gathering ratings instead of 95%, but the same 6 booking in 24 hours shows up for both listings

This time Free Parking is also listed as an ammenity?

Amennities:

Indoor Pool(s)

High Spreed Internet Access

Free Parking

Free Breakfast

Free Internet

In-Room Accessability

Also I have a much lower price on the 4* in Northbrook-Glenview-Mt. Prospect for $79 instead of $117 when not logged in, Says 90% recommended , but the same 16 booking shows up when not logged in.

Amentiites:

Indoor Pool(s)

Smoke Free Rooms

Fitness Center

Pool(s)

Restuarants

Golf Nearby

Accessbile for the blind

Accessible for the deaf

Free Parking

Accessabile path of travel

In-Room Accessbility

Accessible Bathroom

Handicap Parking

Roll-In Shower

Are you searching for 2adults and 2children when seeing the 4* at $78? I'm seeing a price point around that level when searching for 2 adults, but when searching for 2a/2c, I'm seeing a 4* in this zone for $124.

If you don't mind risking one bed/having to call and try to work with the hotel for two beds, you can try PRICELINE for the burbs.

My guess for the 2.5* with free parking would be the Comfort Inn Skokie. The 4* Northbrook would be a possible match for the Renaissance North Shore (which was renovated last Summer) or Westin North Shore.

La Quinta Inn, Bannockburn, IL

We ended up changing our trip day back one day to 8/1-8/4 in Chicago. I used the links and booked 8/1-8/3/12 at the La Quinta Inn in Bannockburn. I'm finding that the overnight stay on 8/3-8/4 must be not available on Hotwire for this hotel, so I booked only two nights for $63 a night. We are heading to the Green Bay/Door County area for 8/4-8/6 and will likely book a hotel in the same area or in-between the two areas for one night on 8/3.

Do I have to worry about calling the hotel and requesting a smoke-free room or conforming the reservation?

Congrats on your success. :)

Superb deal for this LQ property! Definitely a nice spot if you are planning to head North towards Door County, as the expressway is right there. I haven't been there in a while, but a few nice stops along the way - Cedarburg, WI and Port Washington, WI, which are cute towns just North of Milwaukee. The Brat Stop (bratstop.com) and Mars Cheese Castle (marscheese.com) are institutions just North of the border, as well. There are a lot of options North of Milwaukee if you stay between for 8/3.

Door County is wonderful, although you may want to stay in Sturgeon Bay, as the hotels on Door County proper are often really expensive and Sturgeon Bay is the closest spot with HOTWIRE/PRICELINE options.

For the LQ, there should be no need to confirm the reservation, but you could call/write to request smoke-free.

I'll also write some notes regarding the area on this post later today.

Thank you for sharing your win and please use the site's PRICELINE or HOTWIRE links to start your purchases and searches.

Enjoy your stay.

Thanks, look for to your recommendation.

I put in a request for non-smoking, but wasn't sure whether the person was helpful? He said he would note it, but it wouldn't be confirm until the morning of the stay when they assign rooms. Hopefully, it works out alright or I'll have to make sure to bid on smoke-free room for the rest of the trip. Wonder it I shoudl call during a different shift and try to confirm again.

I looked at Sturgeon Bay, but there are only 2 hotels availalble and bidding through Hotwire doesn't exist. Priceline has an option that looks like the 2.5* is the Best Western Maritime and according to their site they are down to one room type, 2 Queen non-smoking. That would be fine, but I hate them to substitute a smoking room because of tight availability. I almost had that happen at a hotel after confirming with them the room was non-smoking after booking the trip.

Green Bay may be a drive, but might have more choice. Any other places that might be closer. Should I take this over to the Wisconsin forum?

There are a lot of hotels and amenity sets above, can you please add a reply to this thread with the amenities shown before your purchase of the La Quinta... you can still view this information by going to HOTWIRE and clicking the MY ACCOUNT link near the top right of their home page.

Feel free to start a NEW TOPIC for the remaining nite of your stay (Wisconsin forum is fine if that us currently where you think you'll most likely end up).

Thanks for using the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board.

Enjoy this leg of your trip.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

In the Vernon Hills zone when searching for these dates for 2adults/2children, I'm seeing a 3* for $61 (before taxes/fees) (the price you see may vary slightly) w/

Suite

Indoor pool(s)

Fitness Center

Pool(s)

Free Parking

Free Breakfast

Free Internet

In-room accessibility

Wheelchair accessible

Accessible bathroom

Handicapped parking

This would be a possible match for the La Quinta North Shore.

Can you confirm that the amenities listed were the same as noted above? Thanks.

A few other notes:

1. This is the closest Metra station (http://metrarail.com/metra/en/home/maps_schedules/metra_system_map/md-n/station.LAKEFRST.html). The parking information number for this station is Station Parking Contact

847-234-2600. I believe it may cost a couple of dollars to park - parking varies at suburban Metra stations, but it's generally around $1.50-2.

If you take Half Day Road (rt 22) (which is right in front of the hotel) West you'll hit Milwaukee Ave. Take that North to Rt 60 (half day road) and that's the middle of Vernon Hills, which has a very nice core mall (Westfield Vernon Hills) and several small malls circling around it.

If you take Half Day Road East from your hotel you will get to Waukegan and Half Day. Go slightly further East on Half Day and you will see the entrance to a mall on the right side of the road. There is a very nice Dominicks Grocery store in the Mall; a good place to stop for snacks/drinks before the ride North.

I do have friends who've recently camped in Door County - they did mention construction around Milwaukee, but they said they didn't have much trouble with it - I'll ask if they have any other details.

Egg Harbor Cafe is a smallish local chain that's quite good - there is a location just to the West of this hotel on Half Day Road, on the NE corner of Half Day and Milwaukee. Famed local chain Walker Brothers Pancakes is also on Milwaukee Ave, just South of the intersection of Milwaukee and Half Day.

We'll continue in the Wisconsin forum, but if not Sturgeon Bay, the next best option is probably Green Bay, as Algoma and Kewaunee don't have any hotels on HOTWIRE, and Green Bay is closer and has a wider variety of hotels than Manitowoc.

I'll also note that the Farm in Sturgeon Bay is a great family-friendly stop (http://www.thefarmindoorcounty.com/)

Let us know if you have any additional questions regarding the area at all (restaurants, sights, etc.)

I posted in the Wisconsin forum. Here are the amenities list for this stay. Thanks for all your help.

We'll be looking for a day to stay between these two area, probably finding a hotel with a waterpark ( a tame one) anywhere from Chicago to Milwaukee on 8/3 overnight too. Guessing I have to book that outside of Hotwire/Priceline.

Amenities:

Suite, Indoor pool(s), Fitness Center, Pool(s), Laundry Facilities (self-service), High-Speed Internet Access, Free Parking, Free Breakfast, Free Internet, In-room accessibility, Wheelchair accessible, Accessible bathroom, Handicapped parking

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]