hockeylfe11
By hockeylfe11,
in

Travel 8/8 - 8/11 two adults

Chose 4 star for downtown SD & Harbor Island

1st bid $92 - rejected

-Added El Cajon as there are no 4 star hotels listed

2nd bid $99 - rejected

Now I will wait the 72 hours+ and try again but wondering if you had advice on how much to go next. I was considering doing a 3.5* as well because I was hoping to book something in the $100 range for the downtown area. I would be okay with a 3.5* for that price but obviously if I can get a 4*, that would be the best bet.

thanks for the help!

Welcome to BetterBidding!

The lock-out period is now only 24 hours... not 72 hours, so you can try again 24 hours after your last bid.

As well, when bidding 4* in San Diego you have 14 re-bid zones, so plenty more opportunities to bid inside of a 24 hour window. If you're not familiar with re-bidding see Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free (highly recommended) to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before bidding. As a guesstimate, i think you may be looking at ~$110-$125 for a 4* hotel... perhaps ~$85-$105 for a 3.5*.

Let us know any thoughts/questions and how you'd like to proceed and we'll take it from there.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

So I have been continuing the process of trying to land 4* for under $105 for August 8th-11th. I know its nearly six weeks in advance to my trip. In your experience, is it better to wait until the last week or two and try booking or should I just keep plugging away? I saw nearly 10, if not more, rebid zones for 4* in the downtown area so I pretty much just start at $75 and end around $105-110. But just wanted to see if I'm maybe wasting my time with the amount I'm hoping to get it for this far in advance. Maybe as it gets closer they are willing to take less to get the room booked. Thanks!!!

It's impossible to stay if rates will come down between now and your stay... or if the hotel will get busier than they currently believe they will be (ie- more actual reservations and fewer cancellations come in relative to expectations) and rates will rise further from here. For a further discussion see the related 'Bid Early or Close to Check-in' link in our PRICELINE FAQ.

With the above noted, i don't think you're too far off.. as noted above i think you'll be successful somewhere between your current bids and $125, but it's up to you if you want to bid this high now in order to get it take care of and know the price OR if you want to wait it out and hope rates some down a little between now and then (with the risk being that they move higher)

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Keep us update on your progress. Let us know what you decide or if we can be of further help.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Hi - part of the problem is that your dates are sandwiched between two conventions - a veternarian's meeting at the front and a spa tradeshow on the other end.

Neither meeting is a huge one like Comic-Con, however, because the meetings are at the Convention Center, downtown zone hotels become harder to get (since the convention people want to be walking distance to the Convention Center).

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]