Priceline Hotel: 2* Philadelphia Suburbs (Horsham - Fort Washington) Days Inn Horsham

SteveinPhilly1
By SteveinPhilly1,
in

I use your hel;p every year for this annual visit and can use guidance again. I'm willing to get a 2* for the two nights and usually bid 2.5* and then 2* and get upgraded to a 2.5 (Spring Hill Suites - my favorite - or Residence Inn Conshocken. There are no 2* hotel in this area on PL. By search for regular hotels shows me $84 at 2 Star equivalent Extended Stay. But I need to pay less.

For the last two years I;ve booked in June (for August) and gotten $50 rate. This week I tried (using BB link by starting at 2.5 stars at $50. and then 2 stars at $52. but no luck as of tonight. I guess I should have started at 3 stars. (One of the 3 stars (Courtyard by Marriott) does not include breakfast while the others do. But, I'll accept Courtyard if I get it.

Any suggestions for getting my room for $53.00 or lower?

Thanks as always!

If PRICELINE offers bidding at a given star level in a zone it's best to error on the side of caution and assume that they do indeed offer a hotel at that star level in the zone. Unless you're willing to accept a 2* hotel in this zone i wouldn't recommend using 2* as a pseudo re-bid zone.

As you've already bid up to $52 and were turned down, and your maximum bid just $1 more, you're not leaving much room for success... try the $53 bid and if not successful you can wait it out and try again in the weeks ahead, lower your star rating or increase your budget. What is the current rate for a 2.5* hotel in this zone?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Unless you're willing to accept a 2* hotel in this zone i wouldn't recommend using 2* as a pseudo re-bid zone.

I would actually accept a 2 star hotel, just not a 1 star (yet! - I had to do that one year).

As you've already bid up to $52 and were turned down, and your maximum bid just $1 more, you're not leaving much room for success... try the $53 bid and if not successful you can wait it out and try again in the weeks ahead, lower your star rating or increase your budget. What is the current rate for a 2.5* hotel in this zone?

Any of the 2 + plus ones are about $79. plus tax (but I need to consider PL booking fee too and no hotel "points".

So I guess the plan is is (IF I'm willing to go to $53. and go as low as a 2 star) that I first bid on a 3 star at $51, then change to a 2.5 star at $52 and then a 2 stat at $52.?

I can't bid again until tonight but will use your BB PRICELINE link as always.

ThankS!

So I guess the plan is is (IF I'm willing to go to $53. and go as low as a 2 star) that I first bid on a 3 star at $51, then change to a 2.5 star at $52 and then a 2 stat at $52.?

No...

At the 3* level you have ONE re-bid zones... none at the 2.5* or 2* levels. I would bid:

Select 3* Plymouth Meeting Norristown...

Bid $51, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $53, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 2.5* Plymouth Meeting Norristown...

Bid $50, if rejected lower to 2*...

Bid $50

Then repeat the above every 24 hours but increase each of the bids in the last bidding cycle (when bidding 2.5* and 2*). Obviously $50 has a low chance of success at the moment since you were just rejected at $52, but i lowered the bid amounts for sake of example. This differs from the bidding strategy you mentioned since yours lowers the star rating and increases the bid amount at the same time, which is not recommended, as per this thread: If You Lower Your Quality Level Then Lower Your Bid Price.

Thanks for using the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board.

Keep us updated on your progress and let us know how it goes.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks! Soory to be a pain but I can't change my re-bid zone. I need to be in that zone. Valley Forge is too far away. If I wanted Valley Folge, I could get $49. for a 2 1/2 star hotel with cancellation priviliges.

Still thinking I can get for my price as there are more hotels this year.

So, if I don't want to change re-bid zones can you revise the suggested strategy please?

Thanks!

I'm not sure you're following... nowhere above does it suggest adding Valley Forge to your bidding.

Please click each of these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links, then reply to this thread and we'll have a look at your post above.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

In your instructions last night you said Select 3* Plymouth Meeting Norristown

Bid $51, if Rejected add re-bid zone. Since I must be in Plymouth Meeting Norristown I couldn't do that.

I selected 3* and bid $51. It was rejected. I then lowered to 2.5* and increased bid to $53. - rejected.

I logged out and used the re-acess link you gave and chose 2* and bid $50. It was rejected.

Is this my daily plan for now?

Oh yes, I did use the BB PRICELINE link to get in.

I don't think you're following the re-bid concept.

Start with the following...

1) Use the PRICELINE search box on the upper right of this page, enter 'Plymouth Meeting, PA' and your dates, and click "GO".

2) List each zone that is offered in this region.

3) Next to each zone list the highest star rating offered in the zone. The way to determine the highest star rating offered in the zone is by selecting the first zone i the list, then scrolling down to see the highest star rating selectable (ie- not greyed out). NEXT UNcheck the selected zone, place a checkmark in the next zone, and repeat the process for each zone in the region. Each time you take note of the highest star rating in the zone, make sure that only ONE zone is selected above.

4) post your findings and we'll take it from there

If you don't follow the above just post back and we'll break it down further.

I guess I'm a bit dense this week. I used your link - always do. I clicked on your PRICELINE link and Chose Philadelphia Western suburbs and then checked box for only region I want (Plymouth Meeting). It gave me 4 boxes to choose from. Highest is 3*, then 2.5*, then 2 Star and finally 1 star.

Per the BB list the hotels are: 3.5* Marriott Philadelphia West REVIEW

3* Courtyard by Marriott

3* Doubletree Guest Suites

3* Residence Inn Conshohocken REVIEW

3* Summerfield Suites

2.5* Springhill Suites

1* Extended StayAmerica

I used the NON bid priceline to see what was in the region and they list the Dopubletree, , Residence and Marriott as 3 stars, Springhill and Hampton as 2.5 * and America's Best Value as 1 star.

They never had a 2 star in this reagion before and apparantly don't but it is not greyed out.

I'm willing to go to $53 and as low as 2 stars. Game plan?

BTW, I checked Hotwire which uses different zones. They use Playmouth Meeting-Ft Washington and had two hotels:

a 3 star at $85 and a 2 * at $77.

Thanks as always.

You shouldn't be looking at the board's hotel lists nor at the 'retail' side of PRICELINE, please following our lead and provide the following information:

1) Use the PRICELINE search box on the upper right of this page, enter 'Plymouth Meeting, PA' and your dates, and click "GO".

2) List each zone that is offered in this region.

3) Next to each zone list the highest star rating offered in the zone. The way to determine the highest star rating offered in the zone is by selecting the first zone i the list, then scrolling down to see the highest star rating selectable (ie- not greyed out). NEXT UNcheck the selected zone, place a checkmark in the next zone, and repeat the process for each zone in the region. Each time you take note of the highest star rating in the zone, make sure that only ONE zone is selected above.

If you don't follow the above just post back and we'll break it down further.

Thanks.

DONE

DONE

2)List each zone that is offered in this region.

Exton

Horsham

Plymouth Meeting

Pottstown

Valley Forge

West Chester

Exton -3 star

Horsham - 3 star

Plymouth Meeting - 3 star

Pottstown - 2.5 star

Valley Forge - 3 star

West Chester - 3 star

See above. ThankS!

Exton -3 star

Horsham - 3 star

Plymouth Meeting - 3 star

Pottstown - 2.5 star

Valley Forge - 3 star

West Chester - 3 star

So let's say you were to bid and set the minimum star rating at 3 stars and bid on BOTH Plymouth Meeting (3* highest rated hotels in the zone) and Pottstown (2.5* highest rated hotels in the zone).

If you were to win a hotel, do you see how the hotel you win would have to be in the Plymouth Meeting zone, since the other zone only contains hotels that are rated lower than the minimum threshold you selected?

This picture may also make it clearer:

Priceline RE-bidding

Let us know if the above now makes sense, or if you have any questions, and you're comfortable using the ONE re-bid zones you have in this region.

Here's an update and info that may be helpful to you and readers.

I went up to $54.00 for 3* or 2* in Plymouth Meeting and tried 2* at $52.00. Was rejected at midnight last night.

When i looked at PLs "Express" rates (like Hotwire set rate but hotel hidden) I saw a "Ft. Washington/Horsham" 2* at $37. (and included Breakfast). When I looked at PL's full rate hotels in Ft. Washington/Horsham the only 2 star was the Ft. Washington Best Western. Best rate there was $90. Since I need to be in Ft Washington area on Saturday night (18th) but closer to Plymouth Meeting for Friday night (17th) I figured that was a good deal - even if a bit further. So I went in (using your link) and bought the $37. room. Turns out it was Days Inn Horsham (about 7 miles away from Ft. Washington) but that's okay as I need a clean room and it was $15.00 less than what my max bid would be. (And I travel light so different hotels not an issue this time).

So that leave me with only Friday night (8/17) to bid for in Plymouth Meeting. So I may have a better chance as Fridays are sometimes less busy. Because I bid at midnight I really can't bid today (can I if I changed dates to only one night instead of two?)

Anyway, I thought knowing the Days Inn-Horsham is a 2* EXPRESS DEAL hotel for PL.

As always, thanks for your guidance.

Congratulations on your partial purchase... glad you found something that works for your needs for this Saturday nite.

Can you confirm the complete list of amenities associated with this property... you can still view this information by going to PRICELINE and clicking the MY PROFILE >> MY TRIPS link at the top right of their home page.

When you change dates it's treated as an entirely new bid so any previous bids you made in the last 24 hours wouldn't effect your ability to bid again immediately. For 8/17 in Plymouth Meeting, what is your goal in terms of star rating and budget?

Last things first (because of space):

I'd like to get a 2.5* or above - but will settle for a 2 star in Flymouth Meeting zone ONLY for no more than $53 for a 2.5 or above or $51 for a 2*.

Now as to the Amenities for the Days Inn Horsham on PRICELINE EXPRESS:

Here they are:

Days Inn Horsham hotel details

more photos

amenities

245 Easton Road

Horsham, PA 19044

Hotel Features

This four-floor hotel is home to 171 non-smoking and smoking rooms with some smoking-hot style for a value-rate establishment. Taking a modern spin on classic style, rooms are outfitted with simply elegant mahogany furniture and soft, subtle palettes for an upscale feel. Free Wi-Fi, cable with HBO and microwaves and mini-fridges come standard. A little naughty, a little nice, the complimentary breakfast includes pastries and baked goodies, along with fresh fruit, hot and cold cereals and, of course, loads of caffeine. Beyond the comfort of their rooms, guests can ascend to the impressive four-story atrium lobby/hospitality area to watch TV, fire up free Wi-Fi and relax in front of the fireplace. A fitness room and business center keep guests ship shape. Parking is free. Pets are accepted with an additional fee.

Guest Favorites

Priceline guests say the Days Inn Horsham is "cheap and awesome," offering convenience to top guns including NAS Willow Grove and Temple University, "friendly staff" and "clean and comfortable" rooms.

24-hour front desk

Accessible facilities

Air conditioning

Alarm clock

All news channel

Bus parking

Coffee/Tea maker

Coin operated laundry

Complimentary coffee in lobby

Complimentary continental breakfast

Complimentary high speed internet in room

Conference facilities

Dry cleaning

Exercise gym

Express check-in

Express check-out

Free parking

HBO available

High speed internet access

High speed internet connection

Ice machine

Interior corridors

Internet services

Ironing board

Maid service

Onsite laundry

Outdoor parking

Pay per view movies on TV

Pets allowed

Photocopy center

Recreational vehicle parking

Remote control television

Restaurant

Satellite television

Security

Smoke detectors

Truck parking

Vending machines

Wake-up calls

Wheel chair access

Wireless internet connection

As far as the amenities for your Priceline Express purchase... all of the amenities you posted above were not shown prior to your purchase (on the screen where the hotel was 'offered' at $37/nite). Based upon a current search i think the amenities were:

Free Breakfast, Free Internet, Free Parking, Restaurant, Fitness

Does this information still show anywhere in your PRICELINE profile and can you confirm that these were the amenities?

For bidding for the nite of 8/17 i would try for a 2.5* at $45 and increase $3 every 24 hours until you hit your limit of $53, then try the same for a 2* property... but based upon current prices, and your previously rejected bids for the complete stay, i think your chances of success are somewhat low.

Good luck! Keep us updated on your progress and let us know if we can be of further help along the way.

Rather than using my profile, I went in today to search again using the Express Deals. The hotel - OBVIOUSLY the Days Inn Horsham is now down to $35. for my dates! And the Amenities I rember are still there. Here is a Copy:

Horsham - Fort Washington Area

$35

per night

Rated

out of 10 (or higher)

Map it

This Hotel has: Free Breakfast | Free Internet | Free Parking | Restaurant | Fitness Center

Hope that helps you. I'll try your bidding technique but it may pay for me to grab the Days Inn at $35. for Friday and drive the extra 10 miles or so.

I'll let you know results.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to update you. When I went back to PRICELINE's EXPRESS deals the Ft. washington/Horsham 2* (obviously the Days Inn Horsham) had dropped to $35 for Friday night! (I paid 37 for Saturday). I used your PRICELINE link and bid on the 2 stars in Plymouth Meeting up to $48. (it's 8 miles closer than Horsham) and was rejected 4 times. So I grabbed the Days Inn via PRICELINE EXPRESS (with your link) and decided I couldn't do any better. BTW, Hotwire keeps listing that Days Inn as $60 and if you go to Days Inn site it was only $59.

I always appreciate your guidance and send lots of folks to BB.

:)

If you are looking for a dinner suggestion, right next door to the Days Inn is Otto's Brauhaus, featuring German fare. Sauerbraten, Smoked Pork Chop, Schnitzel, and in the summer they have an outdoor Biergarten. They also have standard menu items as well.

If you are looking for a dinner suggestion, right next door to the Days Inn is Otto's Brauhaus, featuring German fare. Sauerbraten, Smoked Pork Chop, Schnitzel, and in the summer they have an outdoor Biergarten. They also have standard menu items as well.

thanks. Actually I will be coming back late from Philly Folk Fest and arriving at 1am and leaving at 9am each day. So just wanted clean CHEAP room! :)

I remember when ott's was in Philly in Olney in the 1960s and 70 before they moved.

I'm not sure if this is exactly on topic but I had to keep myself from falling off my chair laughing when I read the following. And thought it might add a smaile to your day:

When I looked at details of the America's Best Inn in Norristown(one of the 1 star hotels) it said:

"In addition to a concierge desk and self parking, Americas Best Value Inn Norristown/Philadelphia features air conditioning in public areas." Ooooooh. You don't see too much air conditioning in public areas now, do ya? :)

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]