Hotwire Hotel: 4* Napa - Sonoma (Napa) Silverado Resort and Spa

Darin
By Darin,
in

Hotwire fail!!

The regular 14-day advance purchase price on the hotel's website is LOWER than the Hotwire price. PLUS the taxes and fees on the hotel website are $22.80 fees and 26.31 tax = $49.11, but the taxes and fees on Hotwire are $66.61!

So the net difference is $235.26 on the hotel website and $259.61 on Hotwire for the SAME room. (Before taxes and fees, hotel = $186.15/night; hotwire = $193.00/night)

I called Hotwire and they first tried to argue that the hotel's 14-day advance purchase discounted rate does not apply!? The CSR said that they compare the rates as if you wanted to book the room to stay today instead of in August when i am going. What? How can you compare prices for different days?

Once she conceded that the hotel's website was in fact lower, she agreed to refund me the difference BEFORE TAXES AND FEES, even though I pointed out to her that the taxes and fees were $17.50 more on Hotwire. She said that the taxes and fees are not part of their price guarantee. So they agreed to refund me $6.85.

My main gripe even beyond having to pay MORE on Hotwire is that I would never have picked that hotel in the first place, regardless of the price difference. As you know, the whole point of Hotwire is to give up your ability to pick the hotel you want but in exchange get a much cheaper rate.

So now I have to stay at a hotel I didn't want AND pay more than if I had just booked it on their website.

How often does this happen?

-Darin

Sorry I forgot to post the amenities:

4-star Hotel in Napa

This Hotel features the following amenities:

Resort 

Resorts offer a complete destination experience. Facilities generally include a spa or fitness center, one or more swimming pools, and superior dining options. Depending on location, recreational activities may include water sports, golf, tennis or skiing. Coastal resorts usually boast ocean views or beachfront access. Note: A resort fee may be charged.

Fitness Center 

Guests have access to exercise equipment; an additional charge may apply.

Pool(s) 

Property offers at least one pool area; hours and dates of operation may be seasonal.

Restaurant(s) 

Property offers at least one restaurant on the premises; hours and days of operation may vary.

Business Center 

Guests have access to business equipment and services; an additional charge may apply.

Laundry Facilities (self-service) 

<amenity names only please... not descriptions>

High-Speed Internet Access 

Guestrooms are equipped with high-speed Internet access; an extra charge may apply.

Golf Nearby 

Property is located within walking distance or a short drive of at least one golf course; an extra charge typically applies.

Tennis Nearby 

Property is located within walking distance or a short drive of at least one tennis court; an extra charge typically applies.

Spa Services 

Guests have access to a spa facility or spa services; an extra charge typically applies.

Accessible for the deaf 

TTY for telephone, visual or flashing fire alarm and vibrating alarm clock

Free Parking 

Accessible path of travel 

In-room accessibility 

Accessible path from the room entrance to the window, the bed and the bathroom; accessible hardware and minimal resistance to open the door; accessible temperature controls and window coverings

Wheelchair accessible 

Wheelchair accessible common areas

Accessible bathroom 

Raised toilet, hand-held shower and grab bars at the tub and toilet

Handicapped parking 

Please post only the amenity names (and not the descriptions) as you can see how much easier it is to read and helps minimize the chance that we'll miss an amenity when researching your trip.:

Resort

Fitness

Pool

Restaurant

Business

Laundry

Hi-Speed Internet

Golf

Tennis

Spa

Deaf Accessible

Free Parking

Travel Accessible

Room Accessible

Wheelchair Accessible

Bathroom Accessible

Handicapped Parking

Please follow-up your previous Hotwire San Diego thread with whatever you ended up doing for that trip, then reply to this thread and we'll have a look at the offer above.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Thanks.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Got it. Will do next time.

I also "closed" the other thread from March 2011 since we never ended up booking the hotel.

With the booking above, I was just wondering if this is a common problem with Hotwire where you end up paying more on Hotwire.

I also just wanted to let others know before they book anything on Hotwire.

Thanks,

-Darin

Sometimes HOTWIRE is not cheaper than the hotel's own website, but this is much more the exception then the rule (i'd guess less than 1% of the time), but they do have their 'Best Rate Guarantee' which as you've learned only covers the room rate and not fees/taxes.

In the future feel free to ask the board for help before your purchase as we can usually take an educated guess at the property and, while no guarantees, often help you avoid unwanted outcomes.

Thank you for sharing your win with the board.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Enjoy your stay.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]