Hotwire Hotel: Help Identifying 4* SoHo/Financial District Hotel

tab10us
By tab10us,
in

Looking for some guidance on bidding for a 4* in NYC from 8/19-8/22.

Any price/location recommendations? Looking, of course, for the best bang for the buck. Biggest preference would be the theater district, but I'm open to anything in Manhattan.

One important spec that I would like to have is a fantastic view. I was reading about hotels in the financial district, and a lot mention that there is no view/natural lighting. I definitely don't want that.

Getting a room with a great view usually commands a premium through conventional booking, and you definitely cannot expect that if you book with Priceline or Hotwire.

I realize that. My example is of Gild Hall in the financial district. People have said that the rooms are dark because there's very little natural lighting that comes in due to the close quarters.

I'm simply looking for some recommendations for the best areas to bid in NYC. I know that some areas have much lower rated 4* hotels than other areas.

You can't bid on a specific hotel when using PRICELINE, you have to be able to accept any hotel in the zone at the star level (or higher) that you choose. With HOTWIRE you can often take an educated guess as to what is being offered based upon the amenities associated with the property, but it's still a 'best guess' and no guarantees you will receive the hotel you're hoping for. As well, HOTWIRE only shows one hotel at each star level per zone, so there is a chance the hotel you're hoping for isn't the one which is offered for your particular dates.

With the above noted and hotel direct rates at Ink48 nearly $300/nite, if you'd like to try bidding for a 4* hotel in the Hell's Kitchen zone (realizing that you could receive a property other than Ink48) what would be your maximum bid?

I will add a reminder that PRICELINE and HOTWIRE reservations are for guests who are flexible in their plans... anytime you are trying for a specific hotel, room type, view, etc, etc you're seeing yourself up for disappointment. The deep discount you're trying to get is the trade-off for choosing your hotel, room type, view, etc, etc.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Additionally, in terms of views, while Ink48 may have views in some rooms (given the location in an area that's not *quite* as densely built), I believe views are paid upgrades. There *MAY* be more natural light given where the hotel is, but any sort of view in NYC is almost certainly a paid upgrade, which definitely may not be offered to PRICELINE/HOTWIRE reservations.

You could try bidding for a 4* in this zone starting at $120 and working higher by $5's using re-bid zones, but as noted above, there could always be a different hotel than ink48 appear in this zone (whether via re-zoning, change of star rating or new hotels, etc.)

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

• 2 years later...

What did you do for this trip? Did you book a regular rate listing (if so where and how much), cancel the trip, etc?

Please remember to follow-up your threads with your wins/decisions as you make them (even if you don't ultimately use PRICELINE / HOTWIRE, cancel the trip, book direct, etc) as this help keep the board better organized and more useful for everyone... as well as being a courtesy to anyone who took the time to help with your travel plans.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... or thru our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com for your regular rate purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]