Hotwire Hotel: 4* Chicago (Gold Coast) Sutton Place Hotel-Chicago

johnnyb
By johnnyb,
in

Getting ready for our (almost) annual trip to Chicago. Usually stay downtown but looking for something new. Stayed at the Hyatt too many times already, not that there's anything wrong just looking for something different. Once did win the Courtyard on Hubbard street and thought that was interesting spot, had a good time at Howl at the Moon. I don't see any hotels listed for the Lincoln park area so not too sure how successful I would be bidding just that area. I did see a decent rate at the Indigo for the week (2 days) we are planning. Anyway that's my plan Lincoln Park area or Indigo, just thought I would post in case someone (Aaron) has some other thoughts.

There are not a lot of lots right around the Gold Coast area - I think there's one a couple of blocks over on State, but the majority of garages/lots are a little further South in the Michigan Ave. area. Parking at the Indigo is $39, which is very expensive but (astonishingly) on the low end for parking at hotels in downtown Chicago.

Lincoln Park area is a lot of fun - some neat stores and a lot of restaurant options. The Zoo is also terrific, and free.

I liked the Indigo - rooms are a little on the small side, but I like the whole Indigo look and feel and this property is in the Gold Coast area, so you do get a neighborhood feel. This is a pretty easy (and pretty, walking through a residential area full of beautiful - and in some cases historic - houses, and that chunk of the walk is shaded) walk to the Lincoln Park Zoo and Old Town area. Coupon code TRAVEL5 takes 5% off on Orbitz for the Indigo ($121.60)

I'm also seeing what appears to be possible matches for the Sutton Place ($134, a few blocks SE of the Indigo, in the Gold Coast but a tad closer to Michigan Ave) on HOTWIRE, as well as a possible match for the Hotel Lincoln ($94, the price you see may vary slightly on HOTWIRE).

The new Hotel Lincoln is not right near the "L", although there are various buses heading downtown that run by it. You could also walk to the Brown Line station at Sedgewick - although that's a bit of a walk - or actually walk to the Michigan Ave area (which is the reverse of the walk from the Indigo to Lincoln Park.)

If you are looking for something different, I think $94 for the Lincoln is worth considering. The Indigo or potential Sutton would offer the neighborhood feel of the Gold Coast while being very close to Michigan Ave and not a terrible walk to the Lincoln Park/Old Town Areas. Lincoln would be a bit of a trek from Michigan Ave, but definitely cheaper and a new area.

Please let us know if any of the above listings on HOTWIRE would be of interest and we would be happy to point them out.

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE, PRICELINE or Orbitz links to start your purchases and searches.

Awesome response, Thanks Aaron.

I think I stayed at the hotel Lincoln like 25 years ago when it was a Comfort Inn or Clarion??? I'm leaning towards the Sutton Place. I see three hotels listed on Hotwire for the Lincoln Park area. 2, 3 & 4 star. That four star (currently) for 96 bucks looks pretty sweet, would that be the Sutton Place?

Update..

After checking around looks like the Hotel Lincoln was a Days Inn back in the day. That might now be the 4* at $96.00?

I see $135 for a Lincon Park area hotel??? and the Gold Coast hotel for $134 Sutton Place?

Priceline allows bidding in that area for a 3.5 star, I would guess the Lincoln??? Wish there was more history for that area.

So Im asking?

The Hotwire 4* Gold Coast area @ $135 Sutton Place?

The Hotwire 3* Lincoln Park area @ $134 ?

The Hotwire 4* Lincoln Park area @ $96 Hotel Lincoln?

&

Bidding the 3.5* on Priceline.... probably the Hotel Lincoln

I know there's no guarantee's

The Hotel Lincoln used to be the Days Inn Lincoln Park, then a few years ago it was going to be remodeled and the hotel literally was completely remodeled and was ready to open and then because of a number of issues never actually opened. Not too long after, it was picked up by new owners and the Lincoln opened this year.

I'm seeing when searching:

4* Gold Coast: Boutique, Fitness, Restaurant, Business, Internet. This is most likely the Sutton, although there is the chance it could be the Public (which hasn't been reported to the board on HOTWIRE yet.) Both hotels are a few blocks from one another - this is a small zone.

3* Lincoln Park boutique - this listing hasn't been ID'd/reported to the board, but I'm guessing it's one of the trio of small boutiques (Willows, Majestic or City Suites.) These properties are 2.5* on PRICELINE, and the potential Lincoln for $96 would be a considerably better deal (and better location.)

4* Lincoln Park - Restaurant/internet/business/golf/tennis/smoke-free/accessible deaf/roll-in/accessible bath/in-room accessible) $96 (the price you see may vary slightly.) This would likely be the Lincoln.

The Hotel Lincoln appears to be the only 3.5* in the Lincoln Park zone on PRICELINE - the other few boutiques in the zone (there are VERY few hotels in this zone in general, which is why there's not much history - additionally, until the Lincoln, prices in this zone weren't competitive to downtown.) You could try bidding 3.5* in the Lincoln Park zone and hopefully the Lincoln would accept in the $70-85 range, given that it's showing for $96 on HOTWIRE.

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

I'm seeing what may be the Sutton or possibly Public (4* Gold Coast) for $136, the potential HOTWIRE Lincoln for $110. The location is a tad out of the way just a few minutes West of the River North area along the river, but what appears to be the Holiday Inn Mart Plaza is showing for $91.

Let us know what you decide and if you have any questions.

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

Are you looking for 6/27-6/29? Are your dates still flexible and are you able to get the Hotel Lincoln to appear for an alternate set of dates?

If 6/27-6/29 works best for your plans i'd give 1-2 days to see if any more inventory for what is guessed to be the Hotel Lincoln is added to the system.

Keep us updated on your progress and let us know what you find or if we can be of help with a different hotel offering.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Booked this today. Originally was looking at what could have been the Hotel Lincoln which kept bouncing from $95 to $110. I actually went through a $95.00 offer but was told the rates had changed and I had to start over. When this one (the Sutton Place Hotel) dropped from $136 to $120 I grabbed it.

A couple of notes -

1. As noted above, the Original Pancake House across the street is a good choice for breakfast, but the one note is that it is a smaller place and can get crowded. The newer Third Coast Cafe (http://3rdcoastcafe.com/3rd_Coast_Cafe/menus.html) is getting some pretty good reviews nearby. There's also Tempo (at 6 Chestnut St), but I believe Tempo is cash only. Original Pancake is the a great option, but if too busy there are some other options right nearby. There are some really good options in other parts of the city, as well, from Ann Sather in the Lakeview, Lou Mitchell's in the West Loop, Yolk and West Egg just East of Michigan Ave and others. Let us know restaurant likes/dislikes and we would be happy to offer suggestions.

2. It's a moderate walk to the LP Zoo from the Gold Coast, but it's pleasant and straightforward - I would walk briefly west to Dearborn, then North on Dearborn until you reach the park. The majority of the walk on Dearborn goes through a residential area of very nice (and in some cases historic) houses/apartments and this portion of the walk should be fairly shaded if it's a hot day. Once you reach the park, across the street, there is a path that leads into the park - take that path North and you will go under a bridge (LaSalle), then keep going North for a little while longer and you will get to the Farm in the Zoo, which is the South end of the Zoo. The Green City Organic Market is in the park approximately just to the West of the entrance of the Farm in the Zoo. Additionally, the Peggy Notabert Nature Museum is a couple of blocks North of the North end of the LP Zoo (giant, glassy building on the North side of the street on Fullerton - entrance on the East face of the building.)

3. If you walk West of the Farm in the Zoo through the park, you will get to Clark St. Walk South on Clark and you will get to Clark and North. At that point, the Chicago Historical Society is on the NE corner. Walk West on North and you will get to North and Wells. A few blocks to the North and a few blocks to the South is the Old Town area, which offers a number of restaurants and shops (including one of my favorites, the Spice House -http://www.thespicehouse.com/info/chicago-spice-store.html), as well as the famed Second City theater.

It's a nice walk to the Zoo, but the 36 bus can be picked up and drops off right near your hotel at State and Division.

http://www.transitchicago.com/assets/1/bus_schedules/36.pdf

That bus runs up/down Clark near the zoo.

Any city questions, please feel free to ask.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]