Priceline Hotel: Maui - September/October

KATMAI_KID
By KATMAI_KID,
in

I've spent a couple of weeks bidding for a resort or a 4 star in late September / early October and have been unsuccessful. My bids have been between $115-$155 for a 7 night stay. I found this a little shocking considering others have had success around $120 in the same general timeframe and this is considered "off season" for Hawaii. Am I missing something here (event in Maui, foreign holiday)? Is it too early to expect similar deals and would I be better off waiting ? Thanks in advance!

Are you bidding Ka'anapali-Lahaina (or also Waliea-Makena??)

Rates are currently a bit high for these dates with prices starting at $250+ and most over $300. With this noted you can choose to wait it out and hope rates come down in the next few weeks/months, but i also don't think you're too far off at the moment... are you willing to increase your budget to $165?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I was one who scored a RESORT in Maui for 9 nights for $118 per night, but that is extremely rare to get such a low price. I booked it around 3 weeks ago and others have had success. I landed the Sheraton while another poster landed the Hyatt. I decided to bid on PRICELINE $118 since I'd noticed a 4 star property in Kaanapali, which I figured was either the Sheraton or the Westin, was going for $131 a night. Previously, it had been going for $182 a night. Within 10 days of my bidding and winning the Sheraton on PRICELINE, I noticed that Hotwire increased the price for their 4* from $131 to $138 back to $133 back up to $138, then right back up to $182 per night, eventually dropping to $176 per night, so you see, the prices are all over the place. I too am surprised that you can't get a better deal for late Sept/early October. Perhaps you could just keep a watchful eye on prices over on HOTWIRE, and if they drop significantly, then that would be your cue to bid even lower on PRICELINE. Sept/Oct is not usually the crowded season in Maui. I guess it just depends on conventions, room blocks for weddings, et cet.

One other thing: $118 is an extremely low price I was shocked that it would be accepted; the norm for me has been to bid around $185 a night and win Hyatt -- four years ago we won the Westin for $125 a night, but that is not necessarily the norm. I agree with THEREUARE, if you are willing to start your bidding higher, say, $145 up to $165, you'd proably have a much better chance. $115 seems overly optimistic. I remember a time when we thought $220 a night was a great deal for a Kaanapali resort property, and that was 10 years ago. I thought $185 a night was excellent in 2009, so you would still be getting a tremendous deal if you were to win a property for between $150 and $175.

FYI: I just punched in your travel dates over on Hotwire, and a 4* resort property is listed at $176 per night, which is either the Sheraton or the Westin, so if Hotwire is listing it at $176 per night, then you could bid 10 to 15% less over on Priceline and probably win it. I always use Hotwire as a barometer as to what I wish to do. If you don't want to go the PRICELINE route, then you could just choose the 4* for $176 a night on HOTWIRE and be done with it?

If you're saying you've been bidding for 2 weeks and you're not getting any hits at $150 or under, then maybe you could just bid $152 per night on PRICELINE and it might be accepted. $176 minus 10% is approx $158 a night and 15% less brings it down to $149, so if that didn't work for you, maybe you could bid somewhere midway between -- or just call it a day and bid $155 outright and be done with it. The Sheraton was going for $154 per night around 8 years ago, just to put things in perspective, and that was a great deal then.

good luck --

Steakknife,

Please start a NEW TOPIC with the dates of your stay and you can that thread updated with your bidding history (and hopefully eventual success)... this will help others who may be looking at this area for the same dates and/or timeframe, and then when making posts such as the above you can link others directly to your thread so they can see what has already been tried.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Thanks.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Hello - I could use the board's assistance in identifying a 3.5 star hotel with "resort amenities" for a late September stay. This is really throwing me for a loop - how can you have a 3.5 star "resort" and also not have reviews yet ? (The site says they are "still gathering reviews for this property.") Advertised for $127 a night.

Help - ID 3.5 star Ka'anpali area hotel (resort amenities)

Amenities as follows:

* Resort

* Suite

* Beachfront property

* Fitness Center

* pool

* restaurant

* laundry facilities (self service)

* High Speed Internet

* Golf nearby

* Tennis nearby

* Kitchenette

* Spa Services

* Children's Activity Program

Please keep all posts for the same stay in the same thread.

Please click each of these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links, then reply to this thread and we'll have a look at your post above.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases... and your searches too!

Thanks.

A RESORT would be the Sheraton, Westin, Hyatt or one of the big-name hotels. 3.5 star would not be a resort, yet the hotel or condo is calling itself a resort. 3.5 could be something like Kaanapali Villas. Because a kitchenette is mentioned, it's most likely a little condo or a studio of some sort. My guess woul be that it's located north of Black Rock in Kaanapali, meaning you wouldn't be in the heart of Kaanapali beach near Whaler's Village, but to the north of that area, which is still very nice, but the beach isn't as nice. It's a narrower beach north of Black Rock, unless you are at the Royal Lahaina. If you want to be on the good part of Kaanapli Beach there is a hotel called the Kaanapali Beach Hotel which is in a fabulous location, but the pool is bare bones. However, there's a very nice lawn area with plenty of trees for shade; it's considered the most Hawaiian hotel on Maui. It's rough around the edges. I've never stayed there but know plenty of people who have. It won't be a Sheraton or a Hyatt, but it will be reasonably priced and gets good reviews on the various trip review web sites. I believe KBH Hotel comes up on HOTWIRE as a 3.5 star sometimes. Resort fees at this hotel are not $25 a day like they are at all the other hotels either

Hey guys - thanks for all of the feedback; very helpful. I'm going to periodically keep trying all the up until a week before the trip. Given the timeframe, I think its better to be patient and I'm confident I'll score a better deal. I'll reply back with my final dates and hotel in late Sept.....

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]