Bidding Again before 24 hours (Used to be 72 hours)

thereuare
By thereuare,
in

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

If you are bidding on a car from priceline for six days and your offer for a luxury car at $30.00 per day was denied, is it possible that you could bid again for the same luxury car right away for SEVEN days at $26.00 per day and it might get accepted even though it's a smaller bid because the WEEKLY rate might be cheaper than the daily rate for six days? If your bid gets accepted, they probably wouldn't be upset if you return the car a day early!

I have been using Priceline for about 2 months to get hotels in the SFO area. Until last week I was able to rebid on the same date, star rating and location but different price by opening another browser window and starting the bidding process over. But, this week it all changed and I get the "72 hours" message when attempting to rebid. Does Priceline allow new users to rebid to a certain point or did they just fix a bug in their system?

I'm confused. The responses on this website seem to be for the more experienced Priceline bidder, and not for the novice.

How many times are you allowed to bid for a room before you're barred for 72 hours?

If my first bid is rejected I understand I can add a zone, leave the price and quality level unchanged and resubmit. How many times can this be done by adding a zone?

If my first bid is rejected If I add a zone, keep the price the same, if I decrease my quality levelby one star, is it considered a free re-bid?

Re-read the first post of this thread. Re-bidding is adding a zone you don't really want, but since that zone only contains star ratings lower than the minimum quality level you selected, you don't have a chance of receiving a hotel in that newly added zone. Therefore, it's as if you're only bidding (again) for the original zone.

DO NOT attempt this on your own without first fully understanding how it works and how to check your re-bid zones.

I also think the images posted, about 7-8 posts down from the start of this thread, go a long way in helping people understand the re-bidding conecpt, as it adds a picture instead of just words.

I'd also suggest that you continue your existing PRICELINE THREAD and ask questions there, as the responses will therefore be more tailored to your actual upcoming stay.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 4 weeks later...

The free re-bid strategy follows the rules in various posts. Assume you want a 4* only in zone A. And there are free re-bids in zones B, C, D because B, C, D have no 4* or resort properties. Then you can re-bid in permutations, exemplified as follows:

1) 4* A

2) 4* (A + B)

now, you have to close the browser and start again (CBSA) to remove the grayed-out check boxes

3) 4*(A + C) CBSA

4) 4*(A+D) CBSA

5) 4*(A+B+C) CBSA

6) 4*(A+B+D)

7) 4*(A+B+C+D)

and so on

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

does this mean i cannot use the rebid prosess that i just read about and finaly understand ?

im trying to get a hotel in orlando " resort or 4 star minumum for around $110 a night checking in 3/26 and check out on 3/28 .

please let me know as i have not bid yet and i can wait till tonight before i do it.

thanks again for such a informative web site

Everything in this thread still holds true and you can still (and should) use re-bid zones as discussed above.

The only difference is that if your bid (and re-bids) fail, you only have to wait 24 hours to try again, instead of the previous 72 hours.

If you'd like help with a bidding strategy please post a NEW TOPIC in the FLORIDA-PRICELINE forum with the details of your stay (dates, maximum bid, zone(s), etc)

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I just did a failed first bid and then less than 48 hours later did the same process again - this time with a win. "Free rebids" are still very useful but the reduced wait time makes things even better

Example:

I need one night in downtown Spokane WA in June. There are 3* hotels in the downtown zone and that's my desired star level. There are three other zones for Spokane - all of which are 2.5* or below.

First bid series:

Downtown at $35 for 3* fails... add other zones one at a time and work my way up to $43 but have now run out of free rebids so I wait more than 24 hours.

Second bid series:

Start with $50 for 3*... it fails so I add a free rebid zone at $60 and that fails also. I now have two free rebids left or I must wait another 24 hours. I bump my bid to $64 and get a win. It's a good hotel (Red Lion Resort) and at $64 plus PL fee it's a good deal. The hotel's lowest direct book discounted Web rate is $105. I usually achieve even greater savings than this on PL but it's still a great deal!

And even with the reduced wait time of only 24 hours it still would have taken me seven separate session over a one week period to achieve what I did in two session over two days by using free rebids.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Just a note - this was addressed in another thread but merits inclusion in this one as well - Priceline has changed their interface.

The way to check what star levels are available in each zone is to open a Priceline page, check ONLY the zone you are inquiring about, and then proceed to the next page (as if you were going to select a zone)... this will give you the available star ratings in that area. You can then hit BACK on your browser, uncheck the current box, check the next box, and repeat the process.

This was the old way (though I think perhaps it should read "then proceed ... as if you were going to select a star level").

Now the process is much easier, since the zones and star levels appear on the same page and are updated dynamically. As you choose your zone, the star levels available for that zone appear un-greyed out. Of course, as always, you must be careful to choose one zone at a time, since the star levels reflect the accumulated checked zones. Check a zone, take note of the stars, uncheck that zone, then check a different zone, and so on.

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 5 months later...

what if there are 3 zones..

zone A has 4*, 3*, 2*, 1*

zone B has 3*, 2*, 1*

zone C has 4*, 3*, 2*, 1*

and i know the hotel i want is in zone A, so i bid $100 on 4* zone A.. get rejected

if i bid $105 on zone B 4* (since they don't have a 4*).. will priceline automatically put me in the running for zone A as well as zone C? cuz if so, then that would defeat the purpose since i want the hotel in zone A.. so in this scenario, would i not use the re-bid process?

what if there are 3 zones..

zone A has 4*, 3*, 2*, 1*

zone B has 3*, 2*, 1*

zone C has 4*, 3*, 2*, 1*

and i know the hotel i want is in zone A, so i bid $100 on 4* zone A.. get rejected

if i bid $105 on zone B 4* (since they don't have a 4*).. will priceline automatically put me in the running for zone A as well as zone C? cuz if so, then that would defeat the purpose since i want the hotel in zone A.. so in this scenario, would i not use the re-bid process?

Ed, you check and bid on BOTH zone A and zone B together.

• 1 month later...
There is actually a way that I just discovered to get a second bid on rental cars.

Let's say you want to have the car for close to the full 7 days.

You pick up the car at 9:00 AM on Friday.

On your first bid attempt, you say that you will return the car the following Friday at 8:00 AM. (this is 6 days and 23 hours, which is 7 rental car days).

If your bid fails, you can make a second bid attempt by changing the return date to Thursday night at 11:30 pm (this is 6 days, 14 hours, and 30 minutes, which is still 7 rental car days).

The return date is always when you say you EXPECT to return it, as long as you return it prior to Friday at 9:00 AM, they will not charge you extra.

Of course in this case, the rental car is expecting the car earlier and theoretically are expecting to rent the car out at that time. As a courtesy, you can warn the rental car that you will be returing the car later than expected, but before you feel guilty you should realize that the ultimate point is that you did pay for the full 7 days.

I hope this tip is helpful.

That was a very old post, but I'd like to comment that even though car rentals are indeed priced on a 24h basis, the rental company may charge you for overstay if you don't return the car when promised, even if the number of 24h periods is still the same. Some rental contracts even have a clause, say for weekly rentals, that if you return the car too early, they'll make you pay extra fee.

Bottom line: returning the car a few hours earlier is probably safe, returning it later may be not.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]