Priceline Hotel: Are you charged Canadian Currency when booking a Canadian Hotel...

bigredsfan
By bigredsfan,
in

I asked this question in a general forum, but I think a response will be quicker here.

I think the answer is obvious but I want to make sure. We are from the Toronto Area and are going to bid on a Hotel in the Toronto Downtown South Zone, and want to clarify that our bids are made and billed in USD? Obviously I would like the winning bid to be in CAD since the Hotels are in Canuckland, but pretty sure it's USD no matter where you book?

On PRICELINE, you bid and are charged in US dollars. No way around that. As someone who lives in Calgary, I get why you would want to keep it in loonies, but that's the way the ball bounces. You are going to get hit with at least another 2-3% surcharge on your Canadian credit card for a foreign currency transaction on top of the normal markup they charge.

From my most recent Hotwire experience, HOTWIRE will let you pay in Canadian dollars if you pay using your Visa or Master Card. That said, all they do is take whatever they use as the prevailing exchange rate, and present the final price to you in loonies. It is still better than what TD, BMO, or whoever you bank with.

What I have found to the best in terms of paying for hotels on PRICELINE as a Canadian and if you book more than few times a year or regularly shop in the US is to get a BMO US dollar Master Card. They have the lowest annual fee of all the banks that issue a US credit card ($25), and will rebate that the next year if you spend more than $1,000 on it. You can then buy US dollars at the normal markup to pay your bill.

Proud to be Canadian!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]