Priceline Hotel: 2.5* Newark - Meadowlands (Secaucus - North Bergen) Meadowlands Plaza Hotel

CyberFunk
By CyberFunk,
in

Looking to book a hotel to stay between June 30th to July 2nd.

Will be travelling into the city with a car, so I'd prefer a place that offers free parking but secure at the same time. Thinking of staying in Hoboken,NJ and communicating into Manhattan by public transit as many of suggested due to the traffic and higher cost.

Put in an initial offer of $60 on Priceline for a 2* (i think it's Candlewood Suites) but was rejected.

Any strategy? Most important for me is that they offer free parking and that I can get some stuff shipped from Amazon,eBay to the hotel with being charged extra.

It seems like it's pretty easy to get to Manhattan from Hoboken, but how about Secaucus/Rutherford?

I did notice there was a 2* offered on Hotwire in North Bergen with the following amenities: High Speed Internet, Free Parking, Comp. Breakfast, & Free Internet.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

Please follow-up your previous Priceline San Diego thread with whatever you ended up doing for that trip, then click each of these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links and reply to this thread, we'll have a closer look at and comment on your post above.

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

2x

Thanks.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

sorry, forgot to update after my last trip.

Please post your wins as you receive them (ideally before your trip) so that the information can help others with their own stays, who might be traveling to the area at the same time as yourself.

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

3x

Please click each of the links above and reply to this thread, we'll then comment on your Hoboken bidding.

Thanks.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Most important for me is that they offer free parking...

The Candlewood Suites is the only hotel in PRICELINE's zone that i know if that offers free parking, and it has not been seen as a win in a LONG time. You can certainly try, but i wouldn't expect this to be the hotel you win given how infrequently it appears. Keep in mind that the star rating you select is the minimum you're willing to accept, so your 2* bid could always be upgraded to a higher rated hotel (which may not offer free parking as the Candlewood Suites does).

...and that I can get some stuff shipped from Amazon,eBay to the hotel with being charged extra.

I have only had to have items shipped to a hotel once or twice so i'm not sure if there are some that won't accept packages, and for those that do, what the charge (if any) would be. The few times i had it done my package was routed to the hotel's business center and i was charged a fee for this service.

It seems like it's pretty easy to get to Manhattan from Hoboken, but how about Secaucus/Rutherford?

Most, but not all, hotels are near a bus stop that is walkable... or shuttle service to the train station. Should you end up at a hotel without a bus stop or shuttle service, since you have a car you could drive to the nearby Park N Ride and leave your car and take the bus into the city from the Park N Ride location. I think the fee is ~$10-$12 for roundtrip bus far and parking, with additional bus tickets available for sale for anyone else in your group. While this area is a little less convenient than Hoboken/Jersey City, and you commute by bus which is far less exciting and a feeling of being on vacation vs. the PATH train, this area will likely cost less than Jersey City and parking at most (all?) hotels is typically free.

Let us know how you'd like to proceed in regards to zones, as well as your maximum bid and desired star rating, we'll then have a closer look at your options for this trip.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Thanks thereuare for your response!

Ultimately, it would be amazing if there was free hotel parking in Manhattan with the cost being lower, however I know that will never happen. So ultimately, I'd prefer something close and convenient to Manhattan where I can take public transit over that's why I was first looking at Hoboken. However I am open for other suggestions, I did take a look at Secaucus and it doesn't look too much farther.

Maximum bid I am looking at putting in is $75-80/night. If I'm paying $80, i'd prefer for the free parking and being in Hoboken. However, if it's less, like $60 or so, I wouldn't mind a little further like Secaucus. Desired stars would be 2* or 2.5*. Prefer not the 3.5* or higher as I find they generally charge for parking and receiving of parcels and I'd probably will have a number of parcels. Any strategies for bidding w/ Priceline?

Separately, I noticed on Hotwire they have a hotel for around that same price point. Any ideas which one this is? Can't seem to find a similar match on the Hotwire list.

2* - Hoboken/Jersey City/North Bergen - $87/night for June 30th to July 2nd

Amenities: High Speed Internet, Free Parking, Free Breakfast, Free Internet

Cheers!

I don't know what the 2* hotel is, but any 2* hotel in this zone will likely be along Route 1&9 and that's not the area in this zone you want to stay... it's not convenient to Manhattan transportation and it's not a very nice area, imo.

Given your parameters and budget the Secaucus-North Bergen area i believe will actually work best (and given your budget, this and the Meadowlands-Rutherford zone may be your only viable option... but the former is generally more convenient into Manhattan than the latter). However, as noted above, you could end up with something which requires you to drive to the Park N Ride to take mass transit into Manhattan.

If you'd like to move forward let us know which zone(s) you'd like to include in your bidding and we'll take it from there. Also, assuming you're bidding the 'Secaucus - North Bergen' zone, do you want to include Hoboken-Jersey City as a pseudo re-bid zones? The PRICELINE zone is drawn differently than the HOTWIRE equivalent zone and you should be fine anywhere within PRICELINE's zone in terms of convenience to Manhattan, but you should expect to have to pay for parking (unless you can find street parking on the weekend days you're there) and there may be a charge to receive your packages given how it's a business oriented district during the week (although with your stay commencing on a Saturday afternoon, no deliveries on Sunday, and you departing on Monday, i'm not sure just how much time you will be there in order to receive packages... but you know your needs better than i do)

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Okay, that sounds likes viable option. Let's consider Secaucus/North Bergen and Hoboken/Jersey City as possible bid zones. Hate to complicate this even more, but looking at hotels around Newark Airport on google maps it seems like commute time into manhattan is somewhat comparable to Secaucus in terms of time. Is that true?if so, maybe add this in as a re-bid zone?

...but looking at hotels around Newark Airport on google maps it seems like commute time into manhattan is somewhat comparable to Secaucus in terms of time.

Unless you land the Newark Penn Station (or a hotel nearby it) you're chances of having an easy and/or inexpensive commute are fairly nil. You need to get to Newark Penn Station to take the PATH into Manhattan (taxi fare) or a hotel shuttle to the airport and then the various transportation options from the airport (which run ~$10-$17 per person each way) not to mention wait time for the hotel shuttle, travel time for the hotel shuttle, and wait time for your mode of transportation into the city.

On the other hand if you intend to drive from your hotel to an area to pick up the PATH train into the city, it's a viable option, but then the question becomes where to, and how much does it cost to, park from your departure point.

Let us know with which zone(s) you'd like to proceed and we'll take it from there.

What star level did you want to bid for first... 2.5*?

Also, note that if you are successful i think there is a decent chance you're upgraded to the 3* Sheraton, and this is a hotel that is not walkable to a bus stop (although they offer shuttle service to the train station, it is not on demand and according to a schedule... your non-shuttle option here would be to take the Park N Ride)... this would be fine?

To confirm, even when bidding 2* PRICELINE will always try to upgrade you to a higher rated property if available for your dates... so as you bid higher, your 2* bid could be upgraded to the 3* Sheraton. As well, there is a Homestead Suites located right near the Sheraton which has not yet been reported to the board, but if available thur PRICELINE / HOTWIRE i think would likely be 2* rated... this would leave you with the same issues as the Sheraton except no shuttle service to the train station, and being a limited service type of property i'm not sure if they would accept packages for you or not.

Let us know how you'd like to proceed.

When bidding 2* in this region there are NO re-bid zones.

I'd start with:

Select 2* Hoboken...

Bid $35, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 2* Secaucus-North Bergen...

Bid $35, if rejected add Hoboken...

Bid $40

If the above is rejected wait 24 hours and re-try:

Select 2* Hoboken...

Bid $43, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Bid $43, if rejected add Hoboken...

Bid $45

If the above is rejected wait 24 hours and re-try:

Select 2* Hoboken...

Bid $483, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Bid $48, if rejected add Hoboken...

Bid $50

If all the above is rejected i have some other ideas/options.

Good luck! Keep us updated on your progress and let us know if we can be of further help along the way.

• 2 weeks later...

Used the board PRICELINE links for all my attempted bids.

Started from

Bid $40 - rejected,

Bid $45 - added rebid zone, rejected.. wait 24hrs

Bid $50 - rejected,

Bid $55 - added rebid zone, rejected.. wait 24hrs

Bid $60 - rejected

Bid $70 - added rebid zone, rejected.. wait 24hrs

Bid $75 - rejected

Bid $80 - accepted..

Got Meadowlands Plaza Hotel... I guess I should have just went with the Hotwire offer of $53 considering it's right next door. Not sure how this hotel stacks up to the Red Roof Inn that HW was offering.

Doesn't seem to be in the most ideal location for transportation, at least the hotel has shuttle service to drop us off/pick us up from the nearby bus stops.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]