Priceline Hotel: Starting bids

penny waltz
By penny waltz,
in

So I have spent a few days bidding for NYC using same strategies for NYC I have used in the past. I have been failing. I think my starting bid is too low ($80, when the median is $218..so perhaps 60% off median price). I was wondering do people use the median at all? How do you decide your starting bid?

I usually start at 80 and add $5 after each bidding round.

Using Priceline for the Best Hotel Deals!

Bidding is really a case-by-case basis. However, NYC is a particularly expensive market, and $80 is generally only seen during the slowest periods of the year (January-March or so), and $100 generally appears to be the "floor" during slower periods for 4*'s. What are your date/s of travel and what zone/s star ratings are you trying for? Additionally, what would be your desired max budget?

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

I'll try starting at $100 tomorrow. I think my max after taxes is $300 for 2 nights (so ~$120ish a night). So far, I have been doing 80-$120.

Yeah I know bidding is a case by case basis, I'm curious if I can do 2 nights for June 23-25 for around $300ish after taxes. been doing 3*.

I am wondering how do people pick their starting bid basically and if the median that PL show is any indicator :)

January-March is the slowest season (particularly Jan/Feb.) March starts to get lightly busier, especially heading into the end of the month. April and May start to really pick up into Spring and nicer weather. June is also busy, but once July comes in things get somewhat slower (although not to the levels of Jan/Feb) as temperatures get hotter.

The Fall and first half of the Winter (September through around December 20) are extremely busy and parts of that period are the most expensive of the year (with November 25-December 15 being particularly busy and probably the most expensive period of the year.)

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

I have been using the tactic that you have suggested actually in my previous Priceline NYC thread... well a bit modified by replacing UWS/UES with Lower East Side and Soho. I might consider re-adding in UWS and UES..it's just subway rides takes a bit long (esp from UES) to get to places.. but I can live with that I think..

I am still debating on what price to start as...and am curious (in general) what is a "reasonable" starting bid, so I don't "waste" a bid. I The tactic you laid out for me started at $80.. usually I have no trouble with that :) But looking back at my previous wins, they were mostly during off-peak times.

Also I might try 2*, debating what the starting bids should be for 2*.. I looked at a few of the 2* hotels on priceline (the area where you get to pick the hotel).. most of them are ok.. Since my trip is a month away, it's making me a bit uneasy.. so think I will need to book something sooner than later.

I wouldn't recommend bidding 2* in NYC... too risky based upon the varying quality at the lower star ratings in NYC. You may win a hotel that is perfectly acceptable and meets your needs... or you could receive something that makes you wish you bid for a higher rated property. Of course it's ultimately your stay and budget so you'll have to decide what works best for your needs.

I'm guessing a 3* or better midtown hotel will cost ~$140-$160 for your dates... a 4* Downtown hotel can be had via HOTWIRE for less than $150 (although this may be more inline with what you'd expect from a PRICELINE 3.5* property)

Let us know how you'd like to proceed and, and the acceptable PRICELINE zones (by priceline name), and we'll advise accordingly.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Unsure if this is considered open (since I asked a general question for my own knowledge on how people determine their starting bids and if they used the median data PL provides), so I'm closing it just in case :D So I am still searching for a room for the Saturday night. I grabbed a room for the sunday night already just in case (at the very least I needed a room for Sunday night, Saturday is just an add-on).

Here is my Sunday night priceline win.

We've moved this thread to the New York section of the board and we will continue this thread for the Saturday nite, 6/23, nite of your stay.

What star rating and bid amounts have you already been turned down for?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]