Hotwire priceinformation misleading

Tima
By Tima,
in

I just booked a hotel with hotwire in New York and am very disappointed. The hotel was at the top of the list as a "best value" hotel. The information I got was that I would save about 977 dollars compared to the standard price. I have never used Hotwire before but I would not afford a 2400 dollar hotel so I thought it was worth not knowing which hotel it would be. I found that the priceinformation given by hotwire is very wrong. The hotel I got has almoust the exact same price at hotels.com as the price I payed at hotwire!! I saved only about 27 dollars! Unacceptable! False advertasing from hotwire. For me it is absolutly worth 27 dollar to know which hotel I am paying for, and I would not book that hotel I if I had known what it was. And I would afford this hotel without hotwire!

What do you think? Has anyone else this experience of hotwire? What should I do? I have tryed to call hotwire but their number doesn't work...

(I apologize if my english is bad, I'm from Sweden)

/Tima

Welcome to BetterBidding!

From Our Rules and Policies:

While we welcome both positive and negative experiences, please keep in mind that the spirit of this message board is helping users.

If you have a complaint, problem, or question with a recent or upcoming Priceline/Hotwire stay, we will be happy to do what we can to help, but please be considerate of the board's primary goal of helping others and first post the details of your 'win.'

It is important for everyone to know when problems and customer service issues arise, but the majority of the users come here to see winning bid information... so please oblige them with this information before asking for them for help.

Please share the details of your win with the board (star rating, city, zone, hotel name, room rate per nite (before fees and taxes), dates of your stay, amenities shown before your purchase... you can still view all of this information by going to HOTWIRE and clicking the MY ACCOUNT link near the top right of their home page)

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

The crossed out price shown by HOTWIRE is the average price of a hotel of that star rating and in that zone... not necessarily the one you're about to purchase.

If you look at the * next to the price and then look at the bottom of the page you'll see:

Savings based on median published rate we've found on leading retail travel sites in the last 24-48 hours for the same neighborhood, star rating, and stay dates.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Tima - I hope your next experience with either Priceline or Hotwire will be better. They both have worked well for me for many years and many trips.

Obviously it is too late for this time. But for your next trip, it is highly recommended to research your best option first via the conventional sources like the hotel web sites, Kayak, Expedia, etc.. Then use that as a guide for your bidding. If your bidding gets too close to your best option ($27), then just switch over and accept the researched best deal.

Priceline tends to be a little less expensive than Hotwire. Not necessarily so, but it can be.

Before you accept a Hotwire deal, If you post the details on this site (rate/dates/star level/amenities) the pros here can usually give you a good guess as to what hotel you might get. Then you can check out that hotel further before committing.

I've had a few trips where I was able to find better deals than either Priceline or Hotwire, but usually I've gotten better deals through them.

Under the Support Page up in the banner are links to many different hotels and more general sites.

Romelle

Also, Tima, I believe Hotwire might have a best price guarantee. If you did not receive a better rate than you would have elsewhere, you can contact them and get either $$$ back or credit for another stay. It may not be great, but it's better than nothing, at this point.

Thank you for your replies and tips!

I thought I could guess which hotel it could be myself with the help of the hotel list but I should of asked for help.

And yes, I saw that the priceinformation was a median of the area, but I still think that that information doesn`t say anything about the hotel and is misleading...

I understand that u could make very good deals with hotwire if u are lucky, but I will think twice before using it again. If I do I will definitely ask for help to id the hotel before I purchase the deal!

• 8 months later...

I had the exact same issue with HOTWIRE. I have used PRICELINE many times before always happy. This time I used HOTWIRE and the price I paid was exactly what was on the hotel website. I was trying to get a beachfront hotel. The ones listed in their choices were all beach front. The one I got was far from the beach. I think it was false advertising to use the beach front prices as the average and then give me a full price hotel off the beach. Even if I had gottena full price on the beach I would atleast have had something. Now we have neither savings or a beach hotel. I had hoped for both but would have settled for one or the other. Of course you get nowhere with customer support. I would strongly suggest using PRICELINE as it seems more honest.

cubbie64,

Welcome to BetterBidding!

If you haven't yet, please start by reading your messages.

If this was a recent purchase within the last 6 months please see Our Rules and Policies

While we welcome both positive and negative experiences, please keep in mind that the spirit of this message board is helping users.

If you have a complaint, problem, or question with a recent or upcoming Priceline/Hotwire stay, we will be happy to do what we can to help, but please be considerate of the board's primary goal of helping others and first post the details of your 'win.'

Have you stayed at the hotel yet as we can offer some suggestions/comments.

Whether this stay has or hasn't happened yet, what hotel, city and zone was it in, as HOTWIRE's Customer Service is usually very good when you have a legitimate issue. Historically, if the hotel did not have all the amenities listed (for example if the hotel showed a Beachfront amenity and was not indeed beachfront) they have been very good and offering a refund or some other form of compensation.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]