How to contact Priceline

johnrn
By johnrn,
in

I had bid on a 2.5 star level.

Priceline said my bid was accepted but they had upgraded me to a 3 star level.

When I looked at the complete list of 3 star hotels for the four zones I selected I could not find

the name of the hotel they upgraded me to.

I am not looking to change or cancel the reservation.

I would like Priceline to give me an explanation of how this occurred.

I was hoping that my bid would be rejected as I would have bid only one zone for 2 star hotels.

I am familiar with all the 2 start hotels in this one area so anyof the hotels would have been adequate.

Thanks,

John

Welcome! If you could please post your winning bid under the appropriate state, it would help identify the new hotel and give other users an idea of how much it goes for.

When I looked at the complete list of 3 star hotels for the four zones I selected I could not find the name of the hotel they upgraded me to.

If the list you are referring to are the Priceline hotel lists on this website, they are not complete listings of available hotels (as described in the warning at the top of the page).

I would like Priceline to give me an explanation of how this occurred.
Your bid is for the minimum quality of hotel you would accept. It's clearly stated in the Terms & Conditions that you agreed to (by signing with your initials).

Again, please post your winning bid on the board. :)

Thanks for your response.

It was my first bid on Priceline

I just posted the details of my winning bid in Massachusetts.

An aside--How did you do that QUOTE thing?

I looked at the list of hotels on the Priceline web site.

I looked at the names of all the 3 star hotels listed in the four zones and I did not see the name

of the hotel that Priceline upgraded me to.

I could tell you the exact screens I saw at the Priceline web site if you wish to understand my problem.

Thanks,

John

An aside--How did you do that QUOTE thing?
There's a QUOTE button above where you enter your post. :) Or you can type out the code for it, once you learn it (Alt + Q).
I looked at the list of hotels on the Priceline web site.
The Shop & Compare section of Priceline does not list all of the hotels available. It's their way of acting more like a regular travel agent for people unwilling to use the opaque 'name your own price' section.

In large cities, there are dozens of participating hotels, but only a few will be listed in the shop & compare. Otherwise, you'd be looking through page after page of hotels.

I think the bottomline is that you thought that the lists that Priceline shows on their "Shop and Compare" is inclusive off all the hotels used in their opaque service... which isn't the case.

Can you please add the address of the hotel to your other PRICELINE POST.

Thanks.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Well, please be kind enough to tell me where I went wrong.

I know nothing about Shop and Compare

Just to show I am not crazy, please do the following:

Go to Priceline

click on Hotels

enter the destination: Waltham,MA

click NEXT

The next screen you see is:

BOSTON METRO-WEST AREA

The left -most column is headed:

VIEWING TOP NEIGHBORHOODS

The first entry under the title reads:

BOSTON WESTERN SUBURBS I95 ROUTE 28 LOOP

There are five more columns representing 1,2,3,4,5 star hotels

In the row titled BOSTON WESTERN etc. Click on the 3 star hotel box.

What is displayed at the bottom of the screen is a description of seven 3 star hotels in this area.

There is no listing of the Concord Historical Inn as a 3 star

hotel in this area.

So how can I be upgraded to this hotel when it isn't even in the list of 3 star hotels in this area?

Thank you.

OK, Priceline operates two different types of services:

1) Opaque, where you don't know the name of the hotel and you 'name your own price' (i believe this is how you ultimately purchased your hotel, correct?)

2) 'Shop and Compare' where you browse hotels and are told the price... this is the list that you had seen

The two services operate independently of each other.

You assumed that the hotel list they showed you (in the Shop and Compare) were the hotels that would be available in the Opaque service... this is not the case.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks for your assistance. I am new to Priceline and I want to know how to use it properly.

Here is how I went to the Priceline screens:

Go to Priceline

click on Hotels

enter the destination: Waltham,MA

click NEXT

The next screen you see is:

BOSTON METRO-WEST AREA

The left -most column is headed:

VIEWING TOP NEIGHBORHOODS

The first entry under the title reads:

BOSTON WESTERN SUBURBS I95 ROUTE 28 LOOP. I clicked on this entry

I then clicked on:

NAME YOUR OWN PRICE

The next screen was titled:

SELECT THE AREA YOU WANT TO STAY

There are 4 areas listed:

BEDFORD-BURLINGTON

LEXINGTON-CONCORD

NATICK-FRAMINGHAM

NEWTON-WALTHAM

I now want to find out the 3 star hotels in these areas.

I return to the screen:

BOSTON METRO-WEST AREA

There are five more columns representing 1,2,3,4,5 star hotels.

I click on the row titled BOSTON WESTERN SUBURBS I95-ROUTE 128 LOOP

What is displayed at the bottom of the screen is a description of seven 3 star hotels in

this neighborhood

There is no listing of the Concord Historical Inn as a 3 star

hotel in this neighborhood.

How then, do I find out the complete list of 3 star hotels in these 4 areas?

Thanks in advance for your help.

How then, do I find out the complete list of 3 star hotels in these 4 areas?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Again, you cannot see what hotels are available through Priceline's Name your own price section. They are an opaque service where you do not know what hotel you are staying at until the bid is accepted and confirmed. Since it is an opaque service, there is no list maintained by priceline that you can view. Priceline is meant for people who are flexible in their choice of hotel quality and location.

You can view lists of reported hotels on this website, but as previously mentioned, it is not all inclusive as some hotels have not been reported (here or elsewhere).

I realize that you do not know what particular hotel has accepted your bid but Priceline does show

the totality of hotels in the different star levels.

How else would anyone be able to take advantage of free-bids? You bid for a 4 star in one zone and then

add another zone where you know there are no 4 star hotels in that added zone. You know there are no 4

star hotels in the added zone because you look at the hotels being offered in that zone.

do you agree?

You don't use hotel lists to determine free rebid zones. You have to check out each zone individually at Priceline.com, and note what the highest level hotel offered in that zone is. For example, if the zone has hotels only up to 3*, then you know it's a free rebid for a 4* hotel. But the hotel lists should not be used to determine this, because they are all known to be incomplete.

Sorry, I meant the hotel lists on this site or other bidding sites. So ignore the above.

But the lists that Priceline provides for Shop and Compare have nothing to do with the hotels they offer with the Opaque bidding service. Those lists provide some of the hotels in that area, but there's no indication they have anything to do with what hotels Priceline will award you for a successful bid.

But the lists that Priceline provides for Shop and Compare have nothing to do with the hotels they offer with the Opaque bidding service. Those lists provide some of the hotels in that area, but there's no indication they have anything to do with what hotels Priceline will award you for a successful bid.

I understand that. That fact has been posted by previous posters to this topic.

I want to find the Priceline hotel list for 3 star hotels for a particular zone.

In a previous post I indicated the Priceline steps I took to find out that information.

Maybe you can review it and solve my problem.

Thank you.

I will try one last time to explain this....

Priceline is not, and does not, provide a list of hotels that are used in their Opaque service.

The 'steps you took to find out this information' in a previous was wrong, as those are hotels which are offered for sale thru their "shop and compare" service (ie- they show you the name and the price).... and have virtually nothing to do with the Opaque service which is from where you ultmately bought your hotel room.

You have the concept down except you believe that they will show you a universe of hotels and the hotel you receive will be among that 'pool'.

The above is not the case, the short version:

-you pick the zone, price, and minium star rating... priceline tries to find you a hotel (and it can be any hotel that meets those three criteria).

No where do they say "your hotel will be among the following list of properties"

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]