Priceline Hotel: 2.5* Portland (South Portland - Scarborough) Best Western Merry Manor Inn

BiddingBetterDC
By BiddingBetterDC,
in

I will be sure to use the PRICELINE link when I have some kind of strategy down.

Looking for any and all tips.....looking for a 2 or 3 day stay..... in the 24th of may (a thursday) at earliest and out the 27th of may OR in friday (25th) out sunday. I'm sure that 1 day being on a weekday might make a difference in how to bid since prices tend to be cheaper on weekend.

I'm looking to downtown Portland ME, just west Portland or south Portland (airport, mall etc).

I'm a single traveler. I'd rather not spend over 100/night super absolute max before tax so there's the budget :).

I've seen some Priceline winning bids for $79 / 3* hotel in Portland/West Portland but not sure how recent or old that bid is and if it's for a weekday bid or weekend.

Thanks.

I'm looking to downtown Portland ME, just west Portland or south Portland (airport, mall etc).

To confirm, the names of the PRICELINE zones you're willing to accept are:

Portland - Portland West and

South Portland - Scarborough

Also, do you prefer a 3 nite stay vs. a 2 nite stay? (ie- did you want to try for a 3nite stay first before dropping the Thursday nite?)

Please confirm the above and we'll suggest a strategy for you to follow.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

One more question...

Would you be willing to pay a little more ($5-10/nite) for a 3* vs. a 2.5* OR is your goal the least expensive 2.5* or better for this trip?

Please confirm and we'll advise accordingly.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I'm hoping for the nicest thing I can get my hands-on (3.5*) as far as what's available in those bidding zones. But 2.5* is the "lowest" star/class I'd want no matter what. I'd rather not go over 100 bucks BEFORE tax whether it's a 2.5 or 3 or 3.5*. Of course I'd love a 3.5 for at or under 100 before tax but that might not happen..

Thanks.

When bidding in this area at the 3.5* level you have TWO re-bid zones, at the 3* level ONE re-bid zone, and at the 2.5* level NO re-bid zones. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

As only South Portland has 3.5* hotels i'd start with the following:

Select 3.5* South Portland...

Bid $75, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $80, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $85

If the above is rejected wait 24 hours and re-try:

Select 3.5* South Portland...

Bid $90, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $95, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $100, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

(you can bid the following without waiting 24 hours this time since you're lowering the star rating)

Select 3* South Portland...

Bid $65, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $70, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3* Portland-Portland West...

Bid $65, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $70, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3* South Portland and Portland-Portland West...

Bid $75, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $80

Any questions feel free to ask. If rejected just post back and we'll revise accordingly.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

About to get started with your PRICELINE strategies using that link.... reading the Priceline Re-bidding explained made by head hurt to be honest haha. Fingers crossed.

But to be clear on South Portland I only check South Portland, 3.5 and enter 75. If rejected.... bid 80 with only 3.5 checked and s. Portland still checked but add Portland-Portland West or Saco-Biddeford if that doesn't work add 85 keep 3.5 checked and add that last re-bid zone of Saco-Biddeford or Portland-West Portland?

Not sure if I understand that part of how to figure what my re-bidding zones are for a certain star level. But Biddeford-Saco has nothing more "upscale" than a 2.5*. Portland-Portland West does have 2.5* and 3* (no 3.5* for Portland-Portland West tho) same as South Portland-Scarborough.

So.....if I can't get that 3.5* in South Portland-Scarborough for at/under 100 before tax and have to go down to a 3* and in the 3* case Portland-Portland West is the best deal according to NYOP would South Portland-Scarborough be my re-bidding zone or is it Saco-Biddeford or am I goiing off of your original strategy altogether? lol

Thanks.

So.....if I can't get that 3.5* in South Portland-Scarborough for at/under 100 before tax and have to go down to a 3* and in the 3* case Portland-Portland West is the best deal according to NYOP would South Portland-Scarborough be my re-bidding zone or is it Saco-Biddeford or am I goiing off of your original strategy altogether?

I think you get it... but now i'm the one not following your post :)

Try this:

1) Use the PRICELINE search box on the upper right of this page, enter 'Portland, ME' and your dates, and click "GO".

2) List each zone that is offered in this region.

3) Next to each zone list the highest star rating offered in the zone. The way to determine the highest star rating offered in the zone is by selecting the first zone i the list, then scrolling down to see the highest star rating selectable (ie- not greyed out). NEXT UNcheck the selected zone, place a checkmark in the next zone, and repeat the process for each zone in the region. Each time you take note of the highest star rating in the zone, make sure that only ONE zone is selected above.

4) post your findings and we'll take it from there

If you don't follow the above just post back and we'll break it down further.

Not sure if I understand that part of how to figure what my re-bidding zones are for a certain star level. But Biddeford-Saco has nothing more "upscale" than a 2.5*. Portland-Portland West does have 2.5* and 3* (no 3.5* for Portland-Portland West tho) same as South Portland-Scarborough.

So.....if I can't get that 3.5* in South Portland-Scarborough for at/under 100 before tax and have to go down to a 3* and in the 3* case Portland-Portland West is the best deal according to NYOP would South Portland-Scarborough be my re-bidding zone or is it Saco-Biddeford or am I goiing off of your original strategy altogether? lol

Thanks.

I read this thread twice. Biddeford-Saco is your free re-bidding zone. It lets you squeeze one more bid out for your two desired zones, since it doesn't have the star level you want (or a higher star level).

But do recheck each day before you start a bidding session. Things change.

Romelle

I read this thread twice. Biddeford-Saco is your free re-bidding zone. It lets you squeeze one more bid out for your two desired zones, since it doesn't have the star level you want (or a higher star level).

But do recheck each day before you start a bidding session. Things change.

Romelle

Biddeford-Saco is my 1 free re-bidding zone for a 3*? I feel so blonde no offense to any blondes reading.

I used that link typed in portland me and my dates and hit search now but then you lost me lol. I'm going to try that last run at the strategy for the 3.5* in an hr or 2 tho.

I think you get it... but now i'm the one not following your post :)

Try this:

1) Use the PRICELINE search box on the upper right of this page, enter 'Portland, ME' and your dates, and click "GO".

2) List each zone that is offered in this region.

3) Next to each zone list the highest star rating offered in the zone. The way to determine the highest star rating offered in the zone is by selecting the first zone i the list, then scrolling down to see the highest star rating selectable (ie- not greyed out). NEXT UNcheck the selected zone, place a checkmark in the next zone, and repeat the process for each zone in the region. Each time you take note of the highest star rating in the zone, make sure that only ONE zone is selected above.

4) post your findings and we'll take it from there

If you don't follow the above just post back and we'll break it down further.

I tried S. Portland for the 3.5 using the 2 re-bidding zones of Portland-Portland West and Saco-Biddeford by doing s. portland checked and bid 90, it was rejected so I checked Portland-Portland West and bid 95 and/but instead of doing 100 on my last re-bid with Saco-Biddeford checked now I gunned it out of frustration silly me to 106 instead per night pre-tax but I think Priceline timed out or something because it said:

We're still working on your request:

Thank you for your patience. We're still looking for a hotel room at your price and should have an answer for you within 15 minutes. Click on the button below to get your answer.

AND under that it says: Click here to see a summary of your request. If you cannot access the status of your request after one hour, do not submit another request. Instead, call our automated information center toll-free at 1-800-657-9168.

Something is up :/ ....i'll wait the 15 min and check. But I've never seen this happen before. IF accepted it'll be close to 239 with tax. *shrugs* .....kinda pricey for a 3.5 star in Maine memorial day weekend or not. I can pay those rates here in D.C. lol.

UPDATE: It was rejected....they're nuts if they want more than that on a weekend. I just saw a 3 star was just one for 110....yikes.

That "...still looking...." response occurs from time to time. Priceline just has some sort of a jam-up on its computer. Not unlike an automobile traffic jam.

Sorry you got a little anxious on the bidding. That also happens to people from time to time. Some sort of bidding fever or competitiveness?? I'm glad you are keeping your sense of humor about it.

Having cancelable back-up reservations can help.

Or sometimes just one big "oops" and then one is more cautious in the future. I've racked up a couple mistake bids, and I suspect most anybody that has done more than a few also has a mistake bid in their history.

In fact, I usually take a pencil and paper and write down my planned maximum bid before I even put my figures on the computer.

Romelle

I made 2 updates above...... i think i'll give up on bidding over 106 a night for a 3.5 star....i dunno what more they want because it's not much of a deal or saving then. Moving on trying my luck @ a 3*....i just saw someone bid 110 on a 3* as i said above....yikes again. What happened to weekends being cheap/cheaper? lol

So saco-biddeford is my only free-rebid for a 3* ..... it's saying right now Portland-Portland West is the better deal instead :/

Update:

Oh and for a 3 star they won't even take 100... realize I did the bidding strategy wrong and threw all my eggs in one basket at once. Should I wait another 24hrs and do-over?

How about booking the Residence Inn for $129/nite which appears to be fully refundable up until the day before your stay (always double check and confirm during the check-out process)... then you can continue to bid on PRICELINE and/or search HOTWIRE knowing your 'price to beat'?

How about booking the Residence Inn for $129/nite which appears to be fully refundable up until the day before your stay (always double check and confirm during the check-out process)... then you can continue to bid on PRICELINE and/or search HOTWIRE knowing your 'price to beat'?

Ugh I was expecting a better deal..... is this normal? No other strategies or suggestions? lol

Median 3* for portland-portland west is 161

south portland-scarborough is 149. *fold arms & smh*

Have you tried bidding the 2.5*s yet? For that one, you do not want to add Biddeford-Saco, since it does have 2.5*s available. At that star level it is not a free re-bidding zone.

Also, have you looked at the 2.5*s on Hotwire?

You can check the hotel lists at the beginning of both Maine-Priceline and Maine-Hotwire to see if other bidders have reported wins at that level. Also, the amenities lists on the Hotwire deals can be pretty good clues as to what the hotel will be.

Romelle

PS- it does sound like you are running into an "event" weekend. Sorry about that. Free market economics at work.

Yeah it is an even weekend "Memorial Day Weekend" but even then Priceline reps tried to convince me basically not to pay attention to others winning bids because I was like wth I bid all the way up to 110 for a 3 star on a weekend day (memorial day weekend or not) and it was still rejected...that's crazy and that the avg 3* portland-portland west is 161 and south portland-scarborough is 149. So 110 for south portland-scarborough should've been accepted at the least. I was also more-or-less told not to really pay attention to what 2.5 or 3 stars were going for elsewhere because they aren't accurate of what hotels might be accepting bids or some garbage which is a lie. And all they could give me was a sorry. They're trying to price gouge people even on NYOP price and i'm beginning to think for memorial day weekend trying to find a deal with NYOP might be useless.

On fireside inn & suites they have a deal of a King bed poolside room for 119/night advance purchase rate. But their reviews are so mixed....didn't see if anyone here has stayed there and the HJ Plaza Portland in the Portland West-Westbrook area is 115/night on 2 different sites both of those are supposed to be 2.5/3* depends on the site I look at. If I can't get a deal today for 3* ....I might just get the Fireside Inn & Suites outright through their site.

Thanks for clearing up not to use Biddeford-Saco as a re-bidding zone. I don't want to be in that area at all. I'll give a go at P-PW for 110 and then 115, then try SP-SB for 110 and 115 and then try both together for 110 or 115 .... unless anyone has any other strategies or suggestions.

There are indeed times when neither Priceline nor Hotwire works. I've personally run into it in a couple European cities. I even ended up in a Youth Hostel in London & a college dorm in Dublin when there was nothing else for which I felt like paying.

If you do end up booking conventionally, there are quite a few direct links from this site to different hotel chains on the Support Page (above left).

Your logic for bidding the 2 1/2* is correct. First one zone and then back out. Come back in and bid the other zone. For the third bid, stay in and just add the original zone. That squeezes three bids out of a two zone situation.

Good luck!

Romelle.

If you've bid up to your limit and included all acceptable zones there is no other strategy to use, although i'd suggest booking a fully refundable back-up and continue to try every other day or so in the weeks ahead. PRICELINE does not set hotel rates, the hotels do, and if the hotel feels they may be able to fill all their rooms on their own they may offer no inventory to the opaque suppliers (or what they do offer may not be discounted by very much). With 2 weeks to go hotels may be holding on to rooms in hopes of getting some last minute holiday weekend reservations and full rate, but if these reservations don't materialize within the next week, they may begin to offer some rooms out to PRICELINE / HOTWIRE.

You can also try our sister site MAPS and HOTELS.com to try to find an acceptable hotel, as it offers an easy interface to determine how much more/less it will cost to stay closer/further away from your ideal location, as well as how much more/less it would cost to go up/down in star rating.

Let us know whatever you ultimately decide to do for this stay or if we can be of further help.

I wouldn't know if i've bid up my limit but maybe I have. I guess i'm "clear" for today though as in i'm allowed to make bids again I guess. I don't see any reasonably priced "refundable" options. I looked on marriott the cheapest is the courtyard marriot which is 159/night before tax. Don't want to pay that much. I might go the fireside inn & suites route if priceline doesn't work out today.

MAPS and HOTELS.com shows HJ Plaza Portland 3* @ 120 and Fireside 3* at 129, Hampton Inn Airport 2.5* @ 143. If you can be of further help after I try out this priceline strategy again I'll be updating. Thanks Romelle and thereuare.

Does it matter if I sign in to make booking etc faster (info already auto-filled) while I'm doing my bidding or no?

P.S. I tried every combo.

Bid with only 3* south portlandp-sb, then went up some added saco-bd)

Later bid with only 3* portland-pw and went up some and added saco-bd

Tried a 3* bid with portland-pw & south portland-sb checked at the same time and went up some and added saco-bd to the tune of 120/night and was rejected still.

I'll try 2.5* (minus using saco-bd as a re-bid zone) and see what happens.

UPDATE 2 for 2.5* : Tried P-PW for 95 and it wouldn't let me make a higher bid with checking or changing anything

so i tried sp-sb for 95 and again couldn't bid higher without checking or changing anything

then tried sp-sb and p-pw together for 95 got the best western merry manor inn.

Not super happy to have this particular 2.5* but guess my bidding debacle is done.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]