Priceline Hotel: Need help, LA (Downtown) 5/17-5/20

paintergirl
By paintergirl,
in

I need help on a bidding strategy. I need a 4* or maybe 3 1/2 * downtown LA for 5/17-5/20.

Did you want to try for a 4* first up to your limit, then if rejected try for a 3.5*... OR is your goal the least expensive 3.5* or better for this trip? Should we used $100 or $125 as the upper limit in a bidding strategy?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Let us know the above and we'll advise accordingly.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I would like to try to get a 4* under 100$. That would be my goal. If that is not possible I will go to 125$ My last option would be a 3 1/2* under 100$. I need to look at the list of 3 1/2* hotels and see the caliber.

I hope this answers your question. I just don't know what is feasible....

Thank you!!!

Rates are somewhat high over these dates that i'm doubtful that a 4* hotel will be possible at under $100 or under $125, but since you have time on your side, let's take a 2 day approach:

When bidding 4* and 3.5* in Los Angeles you have FOUR re-bid zones. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 4* Downtown...

Bid $80, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $85, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $90, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $95, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $100

If the above is rejected wait 24 hours and re-try, once again using a PRICELINE link from the board (and not a link in any email that PRICELINE may sent you). Re-try:

Select 4* Downtown...

Bid $105, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $110, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $115, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $118, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $120, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3.5* Downtown...

Bid $80, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $85, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $90, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $95, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $100

Any questions feel free to ask.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thank you so much for the strategy! The only thing I am struggling to find is the re-bid zones. The only one I can confirm is the Culver City area. I am ready to start bidding other than that detail. The zones in the better bidding list do not quite match up with the ones listed on the Priceline bidding section.

The only thing I am struggling to find is the re-bid zones....The zones in the better bidding list do not quite match up with the ones listed on the Priceline bidding section.

As per the comments at the top of the Priceline Hotel List DON'T use the hotel lists to determine your re-bid zones!!

If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Please see the link above and confirm your re-bid zones with the board. If you're read this link and are still confused post back and we'll break it down further for you.

So far I have bid on 4* only

$85, $90, $95, $100, $105 The regions I added were Culver City, Inglewood, Lawndall, and USC. I will continue on my 4* bidding tomorrow. I might take my bid a little higher if I have to. It looks like one of the 3 1/2 * options downtown has gotten some ROUGH ratings. 3.5* Millenium Biltmore

HOTWIRE has NO hotels offered in the Downtown zone and rates through traditional booking channels generally seem very high.

Using BiddingHelper.com i see that HOTELS.com has the Miyako for $169/nite. While this property is only 3* rated by PRICELINE, the reviews are generally pretty good and this rate appears to be refundable up until the day before your stay (always verify cancellation terms during the check-out process)... many others are sold-out, very low rated, or priced much higher. I would book this as a back-up while you continue to try PRICELINE / HOTWIRE over the next few weeks for something better, but at least this would protect you from even higher rates down the road.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases. (or our HOTELS.com should you book the above as a back-up)

Keep us updated on your progress and let us know what you decide or if we can be of further help along the way.

When you lower your star rating it's treated as an entirely new bid. However, the previously selected zones on the screen will be pre-selected and you can't UNcheck them as they'll be grayed-out. What you need to do is close the current browser, use a link on the board to re-access PRICELINE, then select the lower star rating you want and you then have a 'clean slate' to start from in regards to the zones you choose.

Did you want try for a 3.5* first up to your limit OR hope for a lower priced 3*? Is your maximum bid still $140?

Awesome! Thank you for the info. I wasn't sure how that worked.

I really would rather not pay more than $125 for a 3 1/2*... If I could get a 3* much cheaper that would be REALLY awesome! The only thing about the 3* hotels is they are further away from the convention center than I would like. Looks like I would have to take a cab? which would make up for the money I could save with the 3*.

So far have the bid on 3 1/2* up to $110. Can't bid anymore on 3 1/2* for another 24. :(

I have not booked a "back up hotel".

Unless the Miyako is not convenient for your needs i would strongly recommend you book that (or some other hotel you find close to your budget and is fully refundable) as a back-up thru Hotels.com. While this is just a little more than you're bidding at the moment, you may find that this is 'cheap' in a few weeks if rates continue to move even higher, and as long as you confirm during the check-out process that it's fully refundable (appears to be until a day before your arrival) then you have nothing to lose... but possible do stand to gain. You can use our BiddingHelper.com to help look for any other options.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases. (or our Hotels.com link if you go that route)

Keep us

Ok, so I went ahead and booked a back up hotel through my company. A room opened up that wasn't available before. It is the O hotel, 1/2 mile from the convention center. I am paying $169/ night, and am hoping I can find someone to room with me and share in the costs. This way I won't have to pay cab fares, and I have extreme convenience. Thank you for your help in trying to help me get a room. NEXT time I will book further in advance!!!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]