Hotwire Hotel: 4* NYC (MTE) W New York

JulesBo
By JulesBo,
in

Hi, this is a great board, going to spend some time tonight reading through the forums for NYC advice.

The hubby and I are taking our first real vacaton since having our baby a year ago, and since our honeymoon 4 years ago. Want to do a "major sights" tour of Manhattan, with plenty of wining, dining, and people watching. I've been there 4x, hubby hasn't ever.

I'd go up to $200/night since it's a vacation, but would consider a 3* if you guys can recommend zone(s) for me to try, where I'm less likely to get a mediocre hotel.

Any advice is appreciated. I just tried bidding for 4-5* on Priceline, started with MTC, MTW, MTE for $150, then added UE for $175, then UW for $180. Probably my strategy is all wrong, and I hope to learn a lot from y'all.

Dates 8/31-9/4/05, which is Labor Day weekend (we leave the day before Labor Day).

Thanks!

Ms. J

Hi

I found I could book 4* (W Hotel, Hilton) after this weekend for around $130-147.

Before using Priceline and this forum, I had earlier found the Bedford Hotel, via zuji.com, but it is 3* at best and $145/night for the late August-early September dates.

For NYC, look at some recent posts for 4* in the midtown areas from $130, in case you can get one of these.

On Hotwire (via a savingsbarn.com link) I first booked W 4* for $147 on Sept 2-4.

For Sept 4-6, I used Priceline, to book the NYC Hilton for $130.

After no success looking to buy a 5* at up to $220 on these dates, I bid up to $128 for 4* and won at $130, like the other recent bidders.

Look at the Hotwire forums here in case it helps you with what is available and pricing.

Share your stories of what you find!

Welcome to BetterBidding!

You're now locked-out from bidding for 72 hours so you can bump this thread when you're eligible to bid again and we'll take a closer look at rates for your specific dates at that time.

In the meantime, given your previous rejections up to $180, i would book a cancellable back-up. I recommend the Beekman Tower where $168/nite will get you a 1BR suite with a full kitchen and the reviews are excellent!

This hotel is not in the center of it all, but it's convenient enough that you should have no trouble getting to anyplace you'd like to go (the subway is about a 7-8 minute walk)

Let us know what you think.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks, I may just book the Beekman if my next Priceline bid is unsuccessful.

I can always use a different credit card and log in as my husband on Priceline to "get around" the 72-hour rule. So, your advice would be much appreciated. I'd like to try another bidding session on Priceline tomorrow (Wednesday).

Ms. J

OK, guys, I am striking out for Labor Day weekend. Here's what I just did on Priceline:

8/31/05-9/4/05

MTE bid $120

added MTW bid $125

added UM/CPS bid $130

added MTS bid $135

added UE bid $140

added UW bid $145

All rejected. Perhaps I'm doing this wrong, because I didn't understand what was meant by this (from other threads):

Bid $115, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $120, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Can someone explain this slowly...I'm blonde :)

For 8/31/05-9/4/05, if it matters, Hotwire is showing the following. Hotel names are theories based on the BetterBidding list.

4.5* TS Westin: $244

4* MC Sheraton (not sure: amenities are only Restaurant, Fitness Center) $204

4* TS Millenium Broadway $207

4* MS Morgans-Ian Schrager $211

I'm ready to bid on Priceline again today with a different login and credit card (unless you have other suggestions) or wait until tomorrow for my original bid to pass the 72-hour time frame.

I'd pay the $204-$211 for the 4*'s on Hotwire if I must...it's a vacation after all. But I hope to find a better deal, and (IMO) I have a little time yet.

TIA,

MS. J

The rates I'm getting on Hotwire are not bad. I'm still dreaming of a winning bid for a 4* for $150-$170, but I'll pay up to $211 if I must.

For 8/31-9/4/05, here's what I got on Hotwire. Hotels are guesses based on the BetterBidding hotel list

4* MC - Is this the Sheraton or Algonquin or...? Amenities are only Restaurant, Fitness Center, and it is not a "customer favorite." $204

4* TS Millenium Broadway $207

4* MS Morgans-Ian Schrager $211

4* ME Grand Hyatt $222

Based on experience and/or reviews, which of these would you choose? Or, is it your opinion that I should keep trying for a better price on Priceline...and hope these Hotwire rates are still available (or even better) in the coming weeks?

Thanks bunches,

Ms. J :)

I SWEAR I thought I was posting on the Hotwire forum. Had two windows open, so perhaps it got confused.

Anyway, I saw the solution to the "strategy" on that other thread. Will post when/if I have success, but for now I think I'm cool.

J

By splitting the weekend into Wed-Fri ($156) and Fri-Sun ($157 with Netscape, $159 with IE), I got a rate with which I am very pleased for a well-known 4* hotel. Plus I used the GUESTCARD06 code on both bookings, for $10 off per night! Total with taxes and fees for four nights: $345.95 + $353.95 = $699.90 for four nights in Manhattan. People have gotten better deals, but I was ready to pay over $200/night, so I'm thrilled.

MTE, amenities: Boutique Hotel, Fitness Center, Spa Services, High-Speed Internet Access, Business Center

Perhaps they'll make us check out for 3 hours then check back in again, but it'd be worth it.

I had unsuccessfully bid up to $145 on Priceline (using the strategy described in this Priceline Thread

Thanks, BetterBidding.com, I just placed a $43 order on Amazon through your affiliate link, it ain't much, but I try.

Thereuare, we'd happily buy you a drink or breakfast/lunch Sept. 1-3. E-mail me if you'll take me up on it, because I probably won't visit this site until my next trip. In the meantime, if you have any bar/restaurant suggestions to send me I'd be grateful.

Jules

See this Hotwire thread for the happy denouement to my drama. Perhaps I could've done better if I kept bidding Priceline every 72 hours for the next couple weeks, but my "time is money" as well, so I'm glad it's booked and I can move on with my life.

If anyone books my dates on Priceline or Hotwire and gets a better 4* Midtown rate, please e-mail me, I'd be curious to hear about it.

J

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]