Hotwire Hotel: 4.5* Chicago (Magnificent Mile North - Water Tower) Omni Chicago Hotel

biltritewave
By biltritewave,
in

Fiance and I are staying in Chicago for a night the night after our wedding before flying out on a honeymoon from O'Hare. Looking at the list of places that usually come up on Hotwire, which hotel is the NICEST/FANCIEST. I have some time to book the hotel so I am going to monitor it until one the one I want is available (hopefully).

1. Which hotel should I be aiming for?

2. Which area is my best bet for a nice afternoon/evening walking around and dinner (dont' know much about Chicago)? NMA/Goldcoast or MM/Streetville.

THanks for all the help.

Welcome to Betterbidding. :)

Congrats on your wedding/honeymoon!

The list of properties in Chicago on HOTWIRE are the ones that have been reported to the board - only one shows at each star rating for each set of dates in each zone. What night are you looking for? I'd generally suggest Mag Mile, but either NMA or MM are fine, and are effectively upper (NMA) and lower (MM) halves of the larger North Michigan Ave shopping area and surrounding neighborhoods (Gold Coast, River North).

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

Rates are actually fairly decent for the Summer period for this date. I'm seeing a 4.5* in the NMA area for $110 (the price you see may vary slightly) w/Restaurant, Pool, Fitness, Smoke Free, Hi-Speed Internet, Business (you have to scroll over "see all" next to amenities to see the full list - please let us know if you have any questions or are not seeing the same listing.) That would be a possible match for the Omni Chicago, which has been seen with this amenity set previously. If the Omni, that's right on Michigan Ave, right by the border between the MM and NMA zones.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

that's great to know. I guess my question is, out of the ones on the Hotwire list you linked to, is that the best one I could get? Like I said, I am not adverse to waiting a few weeks and seeing if one of them comes available. even if the omni goes up a few bucks in the interim, its still way cheaper than the ~400 I got quoted at the Ritz.

Hey, I think I know what you're trying to ask. In terms of area, there's really no difference between MM/Streeterville and Gold Coast/NMA in terms of walkability, location, etc. If you were interested in museums and such, MM/Streeterville is slightly closer to those.

As for fancier hotels, I would NOT go with the Omni, as that just isn't very "special" feeling. I think some hotels you should look out for are the Conrad, the James, the Sofitel, and the Drake (which is probably the best bet in terms of fanciness for the money and has a very nice, classic feel).

I think the Omni is a quite a nice property and gets excellent reviews, but I guess not everyone's cup-of-tea.

I'm also seeing:

4* NMA - $104 (price you see may vary slightly) Boutique, Restaurant, Fitness, Smoke Free, Hi-Speed Internet, Business, Tennis, Spa. This amenity set has been seen with the Drake and Affinia, but quite rarely with the Drake, so I'd lean towards the Affinia.

Travelocity has a special on the very nice 4* Sutton Place ($147), but that is in the Gold Coast area, which is a few minutes walk North of the NMA area, so it's not centrally located. HOTWIRE also has what appears to be the Intercontinental for $141, but I'd much rather suggest the potential Omni for $110.

What I'm seeing when searching:

Sutton Place ($147, Travelocity, sale) - Very nice boutique property in the Gold Coast area - not centrally located, but solid property for a special occasion.

Omni ($110, HOTWIRE) - Very good, well-reviewed property on Michigan Ave. You may want to take a look at the hotel website and see if the hotel fits what you are looking for.

Intercontinental ($144, HOTWIRE) - Good balance of old-world (the property has one of the first public pools built on a high floor - originally built in 1929 and quite beautiful) and modern in a well-located property by the river. Definitely more convention-oriented, though, and if historic properties are of interest, the Drake would be better for a special occasion.

Affinia or Drake (although much more likely Affinia) on HOTWIRE for $105. The Drake is $159 regular rate on Expedia for these dates.

Additionally, on HOTWIRE it appears as if NMA-Water Tower-Gold Coast zone has been renamed Mag Mile North-Water Tower as of this evening.

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE or Travelocity or Expedia links to start your purchases and searches.

We are currently staying at The James, and overall we are quite pleased. The location is near quite a few high end bar/restaurants for easy bar hopping. I was quite surprised that internet access is free, and the big bottle of water in the room...replenished twice a day...is free. It's not a fancy brand, but just local water triple filtered.

That being said, The Omni would be more appropriate for the type of celebration you are looking for. It is an all suite hotel, and a little north of The James. Still close to night life on Rush. If you were to go that route, sign up for their Select Guest program and get complimentary morning beverage service delivered to your room. If you mention your reason for your stay, you'll probably get some type of nasty baked...usually chocolate...goods in the evening, possibly with a bottle of wine.

I wound up away on business last week and never got to this. Right now I see two options on HOTWIRE

4.5 stars in MMA/WTA with Smoke Free Rooms, Fitness Center, Pool, restaurant, business center, high speed internet, for 110. When I click on the more info it looks like it is by the Hancock tower

and

4.5 Stars in MMM/WTA with Smoke Free Rooms, Fitness Center, Pool, restaurant, business center, high speed internet for 140. When I click on it, it shows it more along the river near the chicago history museum.

A) I have never seen HOTWIRE put tow places in the same area, but then when looking at the "more info" put the map areas as different from each other. Is that typical?

B ) With two identical descriptions, how do i differentiate between the two? Any idea which one is which?

Thanks

I see a 4.5* in the Mag Mile North-Water Tower area and a 4.5* for $141 in the Mag Mile-River North area, which are two different areas. HOTWIRE only offers one hotel at each star rating in each area for each set of dates.

I'm seeing a 4.5* in the Mag Mile North-Water Tower area for $110 with the above amenities - my guess would be the Omni.

I'm also seeing a 4.5* in the Mag Mile-River North area for $141 for this date with the above amenities - my guess would be the Intercontinental.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]