Priceline Hotel: 4* New York City (Midtown East) Intercontinental The Barclay

saravision
By saravision,
in

Hey all,

Heading to NYC with my mom June 8-11. I have read some posts and am aware that in using PL I am unlikely to get a room with two beds. I suppose I'm willing to share with my mom but am I likely to at least get a King size bed? I've never used Hotwire before.

Any tips/advise greatly appreciated.

I'm flexible with location within the city and want to stay under $200 if possible.

I was thinking of going with a short term apartment rental but I thought that since this is my first trip I had better stay with a hotel.

Thanks!

Sarah

on second thought....this is our first trip and I suoppose location does matter. We want to do shopping, walking, theatre, sites, etc. Can you recommend the top five zones for this? Only intersted in 4* or better.

Also, I'd like to stay somewhere nice, clean, and not too small. It's bad enough sharing a bed with my mom....would like to have some space to move around!

Thanks again!!

Welcome to BetterBidding!

I suppose I'm willing to share with my mom but am I likely to at least get a King size bed?

Not necessarily, especially since it's NYC where rooms are notoriously small... and room/bed which is considered to accommodate double occupancy is the minimum threshold.

Also, I'd like to stay somewhere... not too small.

Again, being NYC, many rooms are smaller than you're likely accustomed to, and this is true at all star levels. We can try to keep you clear of any 'known' issue, but room size is not something you have control over when placing your bid.

If you're willing to accept the above, i would look at MTE, MTW, TS and ESB as possible zones. CPS is usually acceptable as well, and i think would be within your budget, but the Empire Hotel is a likely outcome at this star rating and rooms here are on the small-ish side (not like the Hudson Hotel, but probably a bit smaller then what you'd expect... we can try bidding first without this zone, then if rejected, you can consider adding it). Please confirm if these four zones are acceptable and we'll suggest a strategy for you to follow.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

When bidding 4* in NYC you have SEVEN re-bid zones. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 4* MTE and MTW...

Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $125, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $135, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $140, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $145, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* TS and ESB...

Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $125, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $135, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $145, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* MTE and TS...

Bid $150, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $155, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $160, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* MTW and ESB...

Bid $155, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $160, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* MTE and ESB...

Bid $165, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $170, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $175, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* TS and MTW...

Bid $165, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $175, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* MTE and MTW and ESB...

Bid $178, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $180, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* MTE and MTW and TS...

Bid $178, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $180, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* MTE, MTW, TS and ESB...

Bid $183, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $185, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $188, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $190, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $193, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $195, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $198, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $200

Any questions feel free to ask.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I think you may be successful within another $10-$15... do you want to bid higher? If not, you could wait it out and hope for lower prices in the weeks ahead (of course rates could move even higher from here as well), SPLITTING YOUR PRICELINE BID (probably not a great option on a 3 nite stay), lower your star rating, or consider other nearby zones (which potentially small rooms, such as the Empire Hotel you can decide if this would work for your plans or not)

Let us know your thoughts and how you'd like to proceed and we'll take it from there.

You can re-try:

Select 4* MTE and MTW and ESB...

Bid $160, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $180, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $190, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* MTE and MTW and TS...

Bid $160, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $180, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $190, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* MTE, MTW, TS and ESB...

Bid $195, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $201, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $203, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $205, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $208, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $210, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $213, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $215

Should the above be rejected, HOTWIRE has a 4* hotel in the MTE zone for $218/nite (your price may differ by a couple of dollars) with Free Internet, Fitness Center, Restaurant(s), Business Center, High-Speed Internet Access, Tennis for which i'd guess is either the Grand Hyatt or the InterContinental Barclay.

Let us know how it goes or if we can be of further help.

Out of curiosity, why am I starting again at such a low price? I don't understand....

Because you have enough re-bids to get up to your maximum bid, and if a hotel has released lower priced inventory in the last 24 hours you'd like to have a chance to win it (but chances of success is low, which is why we increased by $10 bid amounts instead of the previous $5 amounts)

Hope that explains the bidding strategy a bit better.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]