Priceline Hotel: 3* DC (White House - Downtown) Residence Inn Washington Dc/Vermont Avenue

daddyrichbb
By daddyrichbb,
in

Just had some random questions. Im bidding Washington dc zones 5,8,9,& 14 and was already rejected at $65 per for 6 nights 3*. Does anyone have an idea if you have more total nights you have a better chance of winning a cheaper bid? I would think so since the hotel gets a longer occupancy and more total money. Also, priceline took almost 5 minutes to reject the bid. Is that just based on the quantity of hotels the site has to search? Thanks for your help.

To avoid any confusion for future readers, please list the zones by PRICELINE name (rather than by zone number) as the numbers will change as PRICELINE renames and/or adds zones in the future.

Longer stays are often more difficult than shorter stays since the hotel needs to have low occupancy and/or offered deeply discounted rates for the entire length of your stay... if a hotel is full/busy and hasn't offered inventory to PRICELINE for even just one nite of your stay then that hotel is not eligible to accept your bid.

What are the actual dates of your trip? (and zone names you're bidding)

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

If you check the hotel rates by individual nights, you can see if there is a problem night or two in your 6 night stay. Lots of ways to do this. Hotel web sites, general sites like Expedia that list individual night rates, or entering them one at a time in Hotwire (link above left). Weekends, holidays and events can all cause spikes. When you see a definite pattern, it can be better to separate a stay into the high days and the low days and bid them separately.

Not to be "the bearer of bad tidings", but I checked some random 6 night stays via Hotwire, and even out at the airports (usually the lowest rates) the 3*s were $70. In town there were a few around $100, but more around $150. Do you have a maximum budget per night for this trip?

Romelle

Ps - if you want to research some more, under the Support Page tab in the header are lots of links to hotels and more general sites.

Thanks for the tips and advice. Looks like I'll be spending a little bit more for a longer stay. Im going to keep bumping up bids $5 a day for the zones listed below. Im putting priority on the White house and convention center areas since they seem the closest to the touristy monuments and stuff that the wife wants to check out. I'm bidding $70 tonight and seeing how it goes on 3* and 3.5*. The dates are 5/26-6/1. I'll keep updating on the board in case anyone finds the info useful and definitely will keep using the handy links. Ive noticed there arent really any posts for stars under 3. I guess not many people venture into that level or there arent many in the area.

White House-Downtown

Convention Center-Capitol Hill

Georgetown-Foggy Bottom

Dupont Circle-Woodley Park

Depending upon the area, the 'sweet spot' for PRICELINE (and HOTWIRE) tend to be at the higher rated properties. While you can still get a deal at lower rated hotels, it's much easier for a 4* hotel at $200/nite to discount their room to $100/nite and still make money... it's not as easy for a $79/nite hotel to discount to less than $40.

Also, you do have re-bid zones when bidding 3* and 3.5* in the DC area (if you're not familiar with re-bidding see Priceline Re-Bidding Explained, but but if you're new to the subject it's highly recommended that you confirm your re-bid zones with the board before bidding). As well, since you're bidding multiple zones you could bid strategically and use different combinations in order to maximize your bid attempts to gradually bid higher... all in the same session.

If you'd like help with a bidding strategy let us know if you're willing to pay more to stay in a 3.5* vs. a 3* and/or if you're willing to pay more to stay in your first (and second) choice of zone(s) vs. the other(s)... OR if the least expensive 3* in any of the three zones is your ultimate goal; we'll suggest a strategy to follow.

Thanks for using the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Ive noticed there arent really any posts for stars under 3. I guess not many people venture into that level or there arent many in the area.

If you look at the list of reported hotels (very first post in this Priceline - Washington, DC area), you will see several lower star level hotels. Days Inn, ExtendedStay, and similar ones. There are some in the area, and people do bid those star levels and win them.

If it is possible to bid a star level, it means there actually is something there.

Romelle

I will definitely check out any advice you have. After reading the link you provided, I think I understand the concept of re-bid zones. Basically in this case, I could use Mount Vernon VA as a rebid zone since it doesnt have any hotels above a 2 star right? Im surprised priceline hasnt caught on to that, but I guess it helps them keep people bidding. Looking for lowest price between 3* & 3.5* and dont really have a preference. I would pay up to $10/night more for downtown (spend less on transit I assume), maybe $5 more for convention-capital hill, with no preference between Foggy Bottom and Dupont Circle after that. Thanks again for your help.

You are right on the zone that can be used for free re-bidding at a 3* level. If you are bidding at a 3.5* level, there are 4 more that just have 3* and lower.

If you decide to bid 3.5*s first, and then want to follow up with some 3* bidding, you have to sign out of Priceline to get all those zones unchecked. Or close your browser.

Then you can link back in again from here ( Priceline) and bid your desired 3*s, including Mount Vernon as your last one to give you one more bid.

Romelle

Your suggestions and help definitely paid off. Thanks for everything. I started out bidding $70 per night at 3* for White House-Downtown Area and got rejected. Added Convention Center-Capital Hill area and bid $75. The bid was accepted by Residence Inn Washington DC/Vermont Avenue. Great location and price.

Congratulations on your success!

Looks like a very nice deal for this property, and the free breakfast and internet help make this an even better value... nice score!

Glad to see you're pleased with the outcome and thank you for sharing your win with the board.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Enjoy your stay.

The rate on their web site for your dates starts at $249 a night. You really scored!

In addition to that free breakfast, the amenities even include coffee/tea facilities in the room and a "first night starter kit" of food.

I hope you will do a hotel review after your stay. I'm curious.

Romelle

• 1 month later...

The Residence Inn-Vermont Ave turned out to be perfect for our stay in Washington DC. The breakfast had different hot items every morning and they even had a free dinner on Monday-Wednesday night that they do every week. That helped us save a good bit of money on food. Great location, pretty large rooms and walking distance to mostly everything. A little noisy outside a few of the nights, but I expect that when staying downtown.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]