Hotwire Hotel: Help with Chicago Hotel - July 15 through July 19

shelleycj
By shelleycj,
in

I am new to this and am wondering if it's too early to be looking for a hotel for a July 15 through July 19 stay. We will have a car but would like to have easy access to the Blue Line. I've been told that the Rosemont area is great, and when I search Hotwire for a Rosemont, IL hotel, the first option is a 3 1/2* hotel in the Northbrook - Glenview - Mt. Prospect area for $61 per night. Do hotels in this area have easy access to the Blue Line? I'm so confused...

Since we will have our car, I'm thinking we will want to stay outside the city and commute to avoid parking costs and hassles downtown. I edited my initial posting, which might provide more information on our stay. As far as our budget, I'd like to keep it under $100 per night, if that would even be possible.

The Northbrook-Glenview area would have easy access to the Metra train line, which is actually a nicer option. The Metra trains are more Amtrak-like, with two levels, conductors and bathrooms (as well as more comfortable seats than the CTA "L" trains, such as the Blue Line.) The Metra trains don't run as often as CTA trains, but are certainly a more comfortable longer ride than the Blue Line CTA. Additionally, there's a nice array of restaurants and shopping near and an easy drive from the Northbrook/Glenview area. There's also a few sights (Chicago Botanic Garden) in the North burbs, as well. You are looking at about a 40-45 minute train ride from the Northbrook area, which is somewhat quicker than the trip on the Blue Line from the airport.

Rosemont is more the West 'burbs, while Northbrook/Glenview are the North burbs. I'd also suggest Deerield, which is a separate area on PRICELINE (although it falls under the Northbrook-Glenview area on HOTWIRE, and is next to Northbrook.

How many are in your party?

I do think you could use PRICELINE to stay downtown for a little under $100 (probably $85-95, +/- $5), although that's before parking cost, which would be about $25 per night if you parked at a city lot. If you used PRICELINE in the North 'burbs, you are probably looking at $45-55 + the trip downtown on the train (parking is free in the 'burbs.)

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

Thanks so much for the information. In your opinion, would it be more cost-effective to stay downtown and pay for parking but not have the Metra expense, or to stay in the burbs and take the Metra to the city and not have the parking expense? If we wanted to stay somewhere with a lake view, would that be considered downtown? There are 4 of us traveling, including a 17-year old and a 13-year old, so we'd have 4 train tickets wherever we went. I mostly want convenience, but obviously price is important.

I've used HOTWIRE in the past, but the bidding on PRICELINE kinda confuses me. Your help is SO appreciated, because I've been so frustrated with this whole hotel thing that I've about ready to forget Chicago and go somewhere else!

There are no hotels with lake view in the 'burbs (taken up by beaches or houses) and lake view downtown (such as at the W Lakeshore) is generally a paid upgrade, which is not an option via HOTWIRE or PRICELINE (given the discounts). There are few properties with lake view - personally, I prefer "river view" upgrades downtown because it's really pretty at night with the city lights vs the lakefront, which is largely in darkness at night. Still, both discount services only guarantee a regular rate room - upgrades can be asked for, but it's up to the hotel and they can say no or charge more.

If you have a party of four, then I'd recommend HOTWIRE, as you can indicate the amount of people in the party and guarantee some form of bedding for the party (2 beds commonly, but can be 1 + sofa, etc) vs PRICELINE, which only guarantees double occupancy/1 bed. You may have better luck requesting two beds when using PRICELINE in the suburbs, but it's more of a risk downtown.

Metra is about $5 each way (it went up recently), but there is a cheaper 10-ride pass (which can be shared with a larger group) and weekend (which would work for the Sunday.) Still, it does add up with four people.

With HOTWIRE, there is the $61 3.5* in Northbrook. When searching for 2 downtown, there are a number of options near your desired price target, from a $96 4* in Lincoln Park to a 4* North Michigan Ave for $105. Unfortunately, there are fewer options when searching for 2 adults/2 children - the cheapest option is a 3.5* in the Mag Mile area for $117.

I do think you could get a 4* for around $85-95 +/- $5 as well as parking when using PRICELINE, but again, you would have to hope the hotel is willing to work with you in regards to more than one bed.

With the Metra tickets, the difference between the suburbs and downtown + parking isn't vast, but with PRICELINE or HOTWIRE, you are likely looking at over $100 with parking if you went downtown. Would that be acceptable? Would the two bed risk with PRICELINE be acceptable?

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

I really don't want to risk Priceline and potentially only having one bed. We have decided, however, that we'd rather stay downtown to be closer to the things we want to do. We have a friend in Glenview that will let us park our car at her townhouse, so we won't have to worry about a parking fee in the city.

While doing some online searching today, I found a $110 rate at the Courtyard Marriott Downtown-River North on lastminutetravel.com. I think that's a good deal, as the regular rate on the Marriott site is $249. What are your thoughts on that hotel?

Also--would it be "wrong" to just say there are 2 adults, and then request 2 double beds and "sneak" the kids in???

If you have to 'sneak' them in then i think you answered your own question ;) , but with that said, it's done all the time (although a bit easier when your kids are 4 and 6 and not 13 and 17). The bigger issue though is what if the hotel is unable, or unwilling, to accommodate your request for a room with two beds? That is a risk you'll need to decide if you're willing to accept. There are some hotels in Chicago where rooms with two beds are considered an upgrade so at these properties it would be difficult to simply request a room with two beds and have the request honored, more likly you'd need to negotiate an additional fee with the hotel (if they have the availability and are willing to upgrade you for an additional fee)

I don't think you mentioned your budget above, but given the $110 rate you quoted for the Courtyard (not sure if that is listed as 'available' or 'on request' OR if that is for double/quad occupancy) i did see on HOTWIRE when searching for 2adults/2children what i believe to be the Hotel 71 for $119/nite... it gets great reviews on TA (4.5/5.0), is 95% recommended by previous HOTWIRE guests, and gets a 5.0/5.0 on location. AaronJB knows this area best but i would think that this would be a nice experience then the Courtyard. Also for 2adults/2children is a 4* hotel in the NMA-Water Tower zone for $144/nite... if you decide you're willing to take the double occupancy risk there are 4* hotels starting at $105/nite.

Let us know how you'd like to proceed and we'll take it from there.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

The 71 has had a somewhat bumpy history - it was going to go condo and that was never completed, among other issues. I believe the property went under new ownership a couple of years ago and reviews have improved significantly since and are now quite good. The hotel is in a top-notch location across from the river, right by the corner of Wacker and Michigan. The Michigan ave. shopping area is right across the bridge to the North, while the Art Institute and Millennium Park are a little to the South. State St shopping and River North restaurant options are also not far.

What I'm seeing when searching (the prices you see may vary slightly)

2a/2c:

Boutique, Restaurant, Fitness, Smoke Free, Hi-Speed Internet, Business, Free Internet. 3.5* Mag Mile, $117. Best guess would be 71.

2a/0c:

4* NMA Boutique, Restaurant, Fitness, Smoke Free, Hi-Speed Internet, Business, Tennis, Spa $105. This is a possible match for the Affinia or Drake. While it's more likely the Affinia (I believe this amenity set has only been seen with the Drake once or twice), if it is the Drake, that is a historic property with small rooms.

4* Lincoln Park - : Restaurant, Smoke Free, Hi-Speed Internet, Business, Golf, Tennis $96. This would be a likely match for the Hotel Lincoln. Lincoln Park is to the North of the NMA area - it's a nice area/neighborhood, but it's a bit of a trek to get to even the top end of the North Michigan Ave. area. The Zoo and Old Town (Second City theater) areas are right nearby.

Boutique, Restaurant, Fitness, Smoke Free, Hi-Speed Internet, Business, Free Internet. 3.5* Mag Mile, $110. Best guess would be 71.

My guess is that you could get a 4* in the NMA-River North area for $85-95 +/-$5, but then it becomes possibly getting any of the 4*'s in the zone.

In terms of only indicating two people on HOTWIRE or using PRICELINE, the hotel could:

1. Say yes to two beds - no problems.

2. Say no to two beds. Then it becomes trying to make the situation work (sleeping bag, etc)

3. Charge an upgrade fee, which is (usually) the difference between a room with one bed and two.

There is no way to know what the hotel may say - and it may depend on who you talk to and the day.

While it is tempting to not include the kids in the party count, I definitely don't want to risk the possibility of not having 2 beds. Plus-I'm always afraid karma will bite me in the butt. ;)

With respect to our budget, I would ultimately like to be under $120 a night. As far as using Hotwire vs. Priceline, I'm more comfortable with using Hotwire to ensure enough sleeping space.

Bottom line, I'd like to spend less than $120 a night ($85-95 in the NMA-River North area would be perfect if we could get it), include 4 in our party, and use Hotwire. Your help is very much appreciated.

With HOTWIRE the prices are shown and the only downtown property (Loop, Mag Mile or NMA-WT-Gold Coast) under $120 when searching on HOTWIRE for 2a/2c is the 3.5* Mag Mile w/Boutique, Restaurant, Fitness, Smoke Free, Hi-Speed Internet, Business, Free Internet. $117. Best guess would be Hotel 71.

If you do get 71, I'd suggest asking if there was any way that you could get a river view room. The hotel could say no, but it's worth a try.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]