Priceline Hotel: 4* Chicago (North Michigan Ave - River North) Hotel Felix Chicago

Jesse20
By Jesse20,
in

I will be traveling to chicago 8/1 till 8/5 with my 6 and 10 y/o boys and we will be attending a cubs game and a white sox game and also hopefully some of the likes of the aquarium and sears tower. I was wondering as i dont travel that often on some tips for hotels to stay at and other things to do in the area.

thanks i appreciate all your help

Jesse

And oh yeah help on finding at least a 3 star n a good area to easily do stuff with the kids.

Welcome to Betterbidding. :)

Unfortunately, these dates run into the period that the Lollapalooza Festival is going on in Grant Park downtown (8/3-5, with a fair amount of people likely coming in the night of 8/2.) As a result, rates are on the high side for these dates. What would be your desired budget per night? Are you driving or flying in?

While Navy Pier is a common stop, I'd really suggest the Lincoln Park Zoo, which is a terrific zoo (and free.) The Museum of Science and Industry is also a lot of fun, but a bit far South of the city (it can be accessed by public transit, but takes a bit of time.)

In terms of the Shedd Aquarium, I'd suggest being there fairly early/making it the first stop - it can get rather jammed in the Summer months.

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

Thanks for the reply. We will be driving in from Iowa and obviously I would like to spend as little as possible on a place to sleep but with the kids i also dont want an extensive amount of driving time to get to the city to do stuff. I would be comfortable with something around 100 a night. Also would like a pool if possible and also do you know if there is a hotel with a waterpark. Also good tip on the zoo thanks

If you haven't yet, please start by reading your messages.

PRICELINE only guarantees double occupancy, after that it's at the discretion of the hotel, and you could receive a room with only one bed. While you can call the hotel you win and request a room with two beds, the hotel may not be able, or willing, to honor your request.

If this is not a risk you're willing to take then HOTWIRE may still be an option as they allow you to search for up to quad occupancy and ensure sleeping accommodations for everyone you include in your search (although this usually means two beds, the second 'bed' could be a sofabed, rollaway, etc)

Let us know the above so we have a sense of which service(s) are acceptable to use and we'll then be able to have a look at prices and what amenities you may be able to get.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

The cheapest hotel in the downtown area on HOTWIRE when searching for 2a/2c for these dates on HOTWIRE is $199. There is a 3* for $112 in the Museum Campus/McCormick Place area for $112 that is likely the South Loop hotel - that is a good deal South of the city. There's really nothing around it and it's a trek to really any sort of sights - you can't really walk to anything. It would be okay for someone needing to be near the convention center, but would not be an option I'd recommend otherwise. Parking at downtown hotels is generally $45-55, but some hotels are as high as $65. The city lots (such as Millennium Park) are (at last check) $25 + city tax. Other garages around the city are also generally around $30-35.

In terms of the North burbs, there is a 3.5* in the Northbrook area for $61. As noted above though, this would require a short drive to the nearest Metra train station (Metra trains are sort of Amtrak-like, with two levels, conductors and bathrooms - they have bench seats that can be flipped so that a party of four can sit all together) and take about a 40-45 minute ride in. The area has a lot of shopping/restaurant options and some sights. The hotels in this area have free parking. So, cheaper than downtown, but it becomes whether or not the trip each day is worth the savings and that is going to be different for everyone.

Let us know your thoughts and we would be happy to offer suggestions on how to proceed (or to bid, although that risks winding up with one bed.)

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

Hi,

I've taken my kids downtown for many years. So I have some ideas. Since you have time to plan ahead, think about joining the Shedd Aquarium before you arrive. If you buy the full ticket to the aquarium, it costs $34 right now. If you get an individual membership you can take in an adult and a child. In August, the line to buy tickets is VERY VERY long. t can take an hour or more. If you have a membership, you walk right past that long line and go into the aquarium. That said, the aquarium is HUGE. But it has a lot of ambient noise and movement, which is tiring to kids. My kids generally wanted to stay about 1.5 hours. Since I live in the 'burbs, we went several times a year...for 1.5 hours each time. You might want to bypass all the hype they have about the many exhibits and buy the $8 admission to the main part of the aquarium. Your kids will remember the aquarium, and you'll not have spent a lot of cash on an expensive admission. In addition, the Field Museum is a 3 minute walk from the Aquarium, right there on the Mall. My kids always asked to walk over there and see what's up. They have a large selection of stuffed animals, insects, and other things that boys find fascinating. It doesn't have a line to get in, and it's great for another couple of hours.

Another BIG cost savings...buy a family membership to the the museum in your town. That membership will get you into ALL the Chicago museums for FREE!!! That's a big deal. Most of the large museums have reciprocal memberships, allowing you to get into other museums free. But the local museums don't want to lose income. So if you buy a membership to one Chicago museum, you still have to pay to get in the others. But if you buy a membership from a museum that is not in Illinois, you get in free to all the Chicago museums. (You can ask more if I haven't explained that clearly)

So...now you have gone to the Aquarium and the Field Museum. Another GREAT museum in Chicago is the Children's Museum. Your kids are the perfect ages for the Children's Museum (Free admission if you have a membership to an out of town museum) The Children's museum is at Navy Pier. My kids don't find Navy Pier all that interesting. There are restaurants, shops, and a few outdoor shows. My kids did not find those things very interesting. But they have spent HOURS at this museum. I always had to DRAG them out. You can take a boat ride from Navy Pier to the Aquarium (or visa versa) for about $8. It's a very nice ride, you get to see Chicago from the water, and it goes frequently.

You looked at the Museum of Science and Industry....another great museum for kids. (I hate to repeat myself, buuutt....once again...free if you bring your out of town museum membership card) It is on the south side, a bit of a drive away from downtown. But the kids do love it. Lots of things to see and do, buttons to push. If I was time limited, I'd do the Chidren's Museum first.

Lincoln Park Zoo is also free, and good. They have the largest monkey/chimp exhibit. It is on the lakefront. It is in a very fun section of town. You can also go to the Notebert Nature Museum, right next door. (It's mildly interesting..worth about 45 minutes, but it's right there)

Be sure to walk through Millennium Park sometime, esp the Bean. Kids love to see the Fountain/Water area, as well as the Bean. It is good outdoor fun. Try to get a schedule of the activities going on in Milliennium Park. They have lots of free family stuff that is unique. They have families from all over the world coe and put on free street shows that you can happen into. They have free concerts almost every night. Once I was there and they had a puppet show with puppets that were 10 to 12 feet tall. These puppets had been brought in from Germany. Just wandering through Millennium Park (MP) often yields serendipitous events.

Keep your eyes peeled when you arrive. There are always coupons for the top of the Hancock, as well as the Sears Tower. Ask your concierge.

Regarding hotels, you will pay more to stay downtown. But I think it's really worth it to stay in the area that stretches from the Loop (Palmer House, maybe Hilton Towers)Up through Streeterville. If you stay in that general area, it will be easy for you to get around, and you will see a lot more. (I just remembered that Buckingham Fountain, in Grant Park is a fun sight in the summer. They choreograph the fountain to music, with lots of colors, after dark. If you stay in the heart of the city, you will happen upon all kinds of interesting sights. Chicago is at it's best in the summer. You can look for something on Hotwire, try to get a deal on Priceline. Lollapalooza will make the first night expensive. There are a bunch of strategies to get the cost down. I don't know that you'll get anything for $100 per night, but if you go up to $130ish and keep tring, you have enough time to make something happen. I would also check Travelzoo.com every week or so. Look under Chicago and Midwest Hotels. Often something pops up there for about $110/$120 per night.

Especially when you include the baseball games you are attending, this is way more than yo can fit into the days you have. But I don't think you will go wrong with a trip to Chicago with kids. You got me going down memory lane. Sorry for the long post. Good luck, and I hope you have great memories of your time in Chicago.

P.S. Don't forget the fireworks every Wed and Sat night near the Swisshotel.

Peruse22 thank you so much for all the useful info. On the deal with getting into the museums for free does the museum that i join here in Cedar Rapids, IA have to be part of a special association or can it just be any museum card. we have an african american museum and a art museum and that is all that i know of so hopefully one of them will do. Also as far as priceline only promising double occupancy thats not a big deal we will make it work with what we get not a problem but good info. Thanks for all of the great information guys if you have anymore please let me hear it.

Thanks again

Jesse

I would call the museum - museums usually have relationships with a set of other museums around the country that may or may not include certain museums. For an aquarium though, it's generally other aquariums - unfortunately, the Shedd (for example) doesn't have too many others: http://www.sheddaquarium.org/reciprocalmembership.html. It's really going to vary with each museum and I'd contact them or view their websites under the membership section for more info.

I'm glad to help.

According to the website these museums in Cedar Rapids are included in the Reciprocal Memberships:

Science Station

Interim location: Lindale Mall, 4444 First

Avenue NE, Cedar Rapids 52401

(319) 363-4629 www.sciencestation.org

F: All family members, up to 6 members

Here is a link to the site with ALL the museums.

http://www.astc.org/members/passlist.htm

Another thing to think about is parking. If you park with the hotel, you'll pay about $50 per day. But if you look around a bit, you can find parking for as little as $25 per day. It's still an expense when considering your budget.

I just checked Kayak.com and they have the Holiday Inn Chicago Mart Plaza for $150/night taxes INCLUDED. Perhaps you want to reserve that, then get Priceline bidding advice from the pros here. That is a nice hotel in a great location. It has a pool for the kids. The rooms have fun views. I don't know if you'll get anything cheaper that you would want to stay at during Lallapalooza. But if it can be done, the people here have the right advice. Good luck.

Sorry, but one more post,

Since you are coming in at the same time as Lollapalooza, you might want to get a hotel sooner rather than later. I think the rates may go up as the dates approach. I looked a bit for those dates, but nothing jumped out as a great deal. Look every couple days, and soon something will pop up. As a side note, sometimes a hotel called "Club Quarters" comes up as a 3.5 or 4 star. I do't know how they have that nice of a rating. But if you look at the reviews (on tripadvisor, Expedia, etc) you will find that the rooms are teeny tiny. I often fit myself and a few kids into a room I got on PRICELINE, but I'm not sure that plan would work at Club Quarters.

J

I'm not usually prolific about a specific stay, but my sister happens to be coming just about the same time. lol. So I'm gathering a lot of info. We are looking into condo rentals via VRBO for those dates. It's about the same as the hotels, but we are finding we get a LOT more for the money. Small condos, but the buildings have bigger, nicer pools, great workout areas, big public areas, doormen etc. In the same areas as the hotels. We are looking at the magnificent mile, the loop, Lincoln Park, River North and Streeterville. The cheapest hotel I've found so far is $1024 for the entire stay, including tax. Then I have to include another $125 to $150 for parking. (Although we are seriously thinking about leavng the care at home...;lit's a big pain downtown) So far I've found 4 condos for $1000 that will accomodate us.

Another thought.

To confirm, you're ok with the double occupancy risk:

PRICELINE only guarantees double occupancy, after that it's at the discretion of the hotel, and you could receive a room with only one bed. While you can call the hotel you win and request a room with two beds, the hotel may not be able, or willing, to honor your request.

If this is not a risk you're willing to take then HOTWIRE may still be an option as they allow you to search for up to quad occupancy and ensure sleeping accommodations for everyone you include in your search (although this usually means two beds, the second 'bed' could be a sofabed, rollaway, etc)

Let us know the above so we have a sense of which service(s) are acceptable to use and we'll then be able to have a look at prices and what amenities you may be able to get.

What star rating, zone(s), and maximum budget (per nite before taxes and fees) have you decided upon?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

As noted, the Lollapalooza Festival goes on during part of this time period, so I would strongly suggest trying to lock something in now. The Loop area will likely be more expensive during these dates because those going to the festival want to be closer - so I would suggest looking North of the river (the Mag Mile-River North, Water Tower-Mag Mile North or Gold Coast areas on HOTWIRE). Given that you are a party of four, I'd stick with HOTWIRE instead of PRICELINE, as PRICELINE only guarantees double occupancy/1 bed. If you are driving, you could stay in the suburbs (which are quite nice) for less than half of what downtown will cost for these dates (plus free parking at the majority of suburban hotels), but that then requires taking the Metra train in (about 40-45 minutes.) The Metra trains are nicer than the CTA trains and children under 11 ride half price during the week and free on weekends. Under 7 ride free on weekdays, according to the Metra website.

There is a actually only myself and my two boys so there is only three of us so im not worried about pricelines double occupancy.so yes i will try priceline. I would like to try for a 3 1/2 or 4 star bit i dont want to spend a lot so we will see. I also would like to stay in the suburbs but my 6 y/o gets motion sickness sometimes so riding the train for 45 min. Kinda scares me so i think im probably better off trying for downtown first. I would like to stay under 150 night but it looking like that may not be a possiblity

I would like to try for a 3 1/2 or 4 star bit i dont want to spend a lot so we will see. I also would like to stay in the suburbs but my 6 y/o gets motion sickness sometimes so riding the train for 45 min. Kinda scares me so i think im probably better off trying for downtown first. I would like to stay under 150 night but it looking like that may not be a possiblity

Given all the above, please let us know:

-which zone(s) you're willing to accept

-if you want to try up to your maximum bid ($150?) first for a 4*, then if rejected try for a 3.5*... OR if the goal is the least expensive 3.5* or better for this trip

-dates to try for first (are you bidding for the complete stay of 8/1-8/5 or are you SPLITTING YOUR PRICELINE BID?)

With the information above we'll be able to suggest a strategy for you to follow.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases. (and please click each of these previous links before replying)

Thanks.

-which zone(s) you're willing to accept

???

maximum bid ($150?)

???

-dates to try for first (are you bidding for the complete stay of 8/1-8/5 or are you SPLITTING YOUR PRICELINE BID?)

???

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases. (and please click each of these previous links before replying)

???

Sorry i was on my phone when i was responding the first time and idk what the heck i did. Honestly im not familiar with chicago at all so im not sure on the zones although believe i probably want to stay as close to downtown as possible.as far as what to spend i gotta spend what it takes i already promised this trip to my kids without knowing about lalapalooza just would like to get the hotel as cheap as possible.i am open to splitting the dates if thats what you guys with the experience think is best. does anyone know if it would be a good idea to get in a suburb somewhere close around 20-25 min if there is one and then just drive downtown to park somewhere like navy pier or one of the museums then ride the trolley or take a cab to go places?

thanks for helping me out

Jesse

I don't know if your dates are flexible at all. But when I checked July 31 to Aug 4th, there were a lot of nice choices for $140ish. You should book fast though. Just a week ago, Sat was the only hyper expensive night. Now, Friday is already very expensive. And Thursday has risen quite a bit.

There are several nice places around O'Hare, and some of them are right by the L (Elevated train). The ride from O'Hare downtown is about 35 minutes and costs $2.25. Good suburbs, in my opinion, for getting into the city by Metra, (the train system) are Evanston, Deerfield, Chicago North Shore, Arlington Heights, Glenview. I'm sure there are others., These are just the ones I know about.

Personally, I often recommend the North burbs instead of the airport for those driving in due to free parking (a number of airport properties do charge) as well as the North burbs' restaurant/shopping choices. You can also get access to beaches, though some do charge. The Metra trains are more expensive than the CTA trains, but they are much more comfortable and - I think - family-friendly, especially for the longer distances.

Downtown prices continue to go up for these dates and, as I noted above, I'd suggest only looking at the River North-NMA area on PRICELINE. I think you're likely looking at $140-160+ for a 3.5-4* in this zone for these dates. Parking is going to add $20-25 (for a city lot) or more for a hotel. I'm guessing you're likely looking at $45-55 for a 3.5* in the North 'burbs but then it becomes having to take the trip downtown (about 40-45 minutes). The issue with Chicago is that there's the city and then there's little in the way of hotels for a while until you get out into the 'burbs.

You can bid in the Skokie-Evanston-Niles zone, which is the suburban area closest to the city. However, my concern with that zone at the 3* level (which is the highest level in that zone) is the Holiday Inn North Shore, which gets very mixed reviews. The zones to the North of this zone are likely going to be at least mildly cheaper for higher star rating properties.

Let us know which of the two options - downtown and expensive or suburban and much cheaper (although a trip downtown each way of probably anywhere from 35-45 minutes) - is more appealing and we would then be happy to offer suggestions based upon which route you decide upon.

If you stayed in the suburbs, I wouldn't drive downtown. It's very straightforward to take public transit downtown.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]