Priceline Hotel: Working on Getting a 4* Hotel for Bay to Breakers Weekend

Chuck W.
By Chuck W.,
in

For the last several years my wife and daughter have been going to San Francisco for the annual Bay to Breakers run. Up until last year I was always able to get a great deal though Priceline.con (using the BetterBidding link). Then last year .. nothing. I had to go to another site. I'll keep looking, but it looks grim again this year.

This has always been somewhat difficult dates, but i assume it has gotten more difficult in recent years as the economy/stock market has improved and more people are traveling. Which zone(s) have you included in your bidding and how high have you bid?

Thanks for using the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Do you have a back-up reservation... if so, where and how much? If not, you may want to make one (see MAPS and HOTELS.com and check the cancelation terms of your reservation) while you continue to bid in the weeks ahead.

Keep us updated on your progress and let us know if we can be of any help along the way.

Thanks for using the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Since you're bidding for a 4* property, and given the Hotel Fusion is typically regarded as a 2.5* property, i'd consider bidding closer to your back-up reservation... even if you land a hotel for about the same price, at least you'll be getting a much higher rated property.

Good luck and keep us updated on your bidding OR if we can be of further help along the way.

Since you're bidding for a 4* property, and given the Hotel Fusion is typically regarded as a 2.5* property, i'd consider bidding closer to your back-up reservation... even if you land a hotel for about the same price, at least you'll be getting a much higher rated property.

Good call, thanks. I'll keep you posted.

It would be worth a shot to try and book the Hyatt Embarcadero thru Lastminutetravel.com for $154/nite. It is "on request", so would take a day or so to see if you get the booking.

I tried that a couple days ago. Within a day they have back to me and said they couldn't book it. Thanks anyway!

Hey Chuck

I'm in the same boat. Been going to B2B for 15 years and, until last year, have always been able to get a 3* at the Wharf for less than $100/night (in 2010 I got the Marriott for 70!). Last year, I finally managed to snag the Holiday Inn for $150. I couldn't believe it, never paid that much. I looked around on PRICELINE's retail side and it appears hotels are going for four or close to five HUNDRED dollars a night this year! I've checked the convention page, looked for concerts or other events...nothing. Strangely, the weekends both before and after show the rates coming down to the more reasonable $200 range. I don't know what I'm going to do if they don't come down. I don't want to stay out by the airport but I can't afford $250+/night for the hotel.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't bid again yet but I have noticed considerable downward movement on Priceline's retail side for B2B weekend (Marriott FW down to 369 from 509). And since I see full availability (ie. all nights of my stay are available), I'm going to hold out before bidding again. I have a feeling I might be able to get something if I wait.

i'm still working on those dates, anyone else to share thoughts?

Please start by reading your messages and clicking each of these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links. Then if you'd like help with your stay please start a NEW TOPIC.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Thanks.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]