Priceline Hotel: 4* New York in October

ghostwriter
By ghostwriter,
in

Hey everybody,

I'm going to NY in October. I want to stay from 10/29 to 11/02. It would be nice to be there at these days cos of Halloween and a concert I want to go to. It might also be possible for me to stay from 10/19 to 10/23, if this makes it less expensive.

I would like to get a 4* around Times Square, all zones are fine to me (maybe even Downtown, if I can`t get anything else). Highest bid would be 130 $, and I don`t want to split.

Do you think theres any chance to get it?

As a backup, I would choose Hotwire and stay at what I believe is the Crowne Plaza in Secaucus (3,5 *, Customer Favorit) for 80 bucks right now.

Any help is really appreciated!

Thanks

Welcome to BetterBidding!

I never say never, but the chances of you getting a 4* in NYC for $130 in the fall would seem like a very low possibility. We can suggest a strategy if you'd like to try, but i'd be doubtful of you having success.

As an alternative to the Crowne Plaza in Secaucus what about the Candelwood Suites in Jersey City? (forewarned: only one bed in the room, don't know if that works for your needs)

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I`m not sure about the Candlewood Suites. The one bed wouldn`t bother me, but I think I'd prefer the Crowne Plaza.

Anyway, how high would I have to bid to get a 4 * at my time? A lot higher?

If you suggest a bidding strategy, I would really appreciate it. I still have lots of time, so I could still raise my bid if I can`t get anything up to 130 $.

Thanks!

I'm not very optimistic, but it costs nothing to try. Here is a strategy up to your limit (if you're not familiar with re-bidding ask for help before proceeding):

Select 4* MTE...

Bid $110, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $115, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $120, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* MTW...

Bid $110, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $115, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $120, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select UM/CPS...

Bid $115, if rejected add MTE...

Bid $120, if rejected add MTW...

Bid $125, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $130, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select UM/CPS and MTE and MTW and re-bid zone2 (ie- the one you didn't use immediately above);

Bid $135, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $140.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Tried all your suggestions and got rejected everytime - as you expected.

As I still have lots of time, I will keep trying and let you know if I ever have success :)

I`m also thinking about adding MTS. Should I just go like this then:

110 MTS

115 rebid 1

120 rebid 2

and that right after bidding for MTE and MTW?

Or would you have an even better strategy?

Really appreciate your help, as I`m a first time priceline user.

I'm not very optimistic...

I mentioned that above and i don't think your maximum bid is realistic for the dates of your stay (it's the beginning of a peak period in the NYC hotel market). If the above failed, your not very likely to have success in the MTS zone as it is one of the more expensive areas at the 4* level.

I think that you should think about what you will do if you're not successful at the price levels you're currently considering... would you bid higher, lower your star rating, stay elsewhere, etc?

Have you looked at what rates are directly thru the hotels for these dates?

• 2 weeks later...

I think I give it up. Raised my bid up to 155 $, but I git rejected again.

going to try for Jersey City now. (Hyatt or Doubletree, might even consider the courtyard).

What do you think... what`s a reasonable bid for a 3 star there?

should i start a new thread at the nj section?

We'll continue this thread here and if you ultimately get a hotel in NJ we'll move the thread to the appropriate forum.

However, i don't think you're going to find any great deals at a 3* hotel in Jersey City (based upon current rates)... is the Candlewood Suites a possibilty for you?

Well, that`s what I thought. I tried Jersey City on Priceline up to 110 $, but got rejected. What would be a reasonable bid?

I also thought about splitting the bid, even if this is my last option. The rates of the hyatt are:

10/29: 199 $

10/30: 249 $

10/31: 319 $

11/01: 319 $

Would I have a better chance splitting it in 2 bids with 2 days each?

About the Candelwood Suites: Well I kinda don`t like em but still wood take em if I can`t get a better hotel. I know the reviews are good, but I thinkI would prefer the courtyard then.

Or maybe I just wait till the beginning of October... I just don`t know :)

Thanks for your help! I really appreciate it!

Oh, by the way: I always use savingsbarn for my bids!

I was going to book the Crowne Plaza Secaucus. They have quite a good rate. Even if I prefer staying in Jersey City or Manhattan. But thats just a backup till I find something better! (Hopefully!!!)

I also get more and more convinced about the Candelwood Suite. It`s on Hotwire around 100 $ I think. Is there a chance to get a better price on priceline?

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

I didn`t have any luck with bidding (using savingsbarn!) on New York so I finally decided booking the Cosmopolitan Hotel through hotelconxions.com. Got it for 693,53 incl. taxes and fees for 4 nights.

The hotel gets pretty good reviews, so I`m satisfied.

Still trying in Boston and hope that I will be successful there.

Thanks for all the help! This site is great!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]