Priceline Hotel: 3* New Orleans (Downtown) Holiday Inn New Orleans Downtown

Joe H
By Joe H,
in

Hello, all.

I am looking at May 19-21. We will be renting a car as well, as we are bowling in Baton Rouge on the following Tuesday and Wednesday. So with that into consideration, would it be wise to get the car when we get into town on Saturday, or wait until Monday when we are leaving? I am seeing most properties in the FQ have $28/day parking fees. If we bid on Downtown, will we need a car and are there large parking fees there as well? Is a car really needed?

I would like to spend around $100/night as well, but lower would be fantastic, maximum would probably be in the $120 range, as it seems I can book directly for those rates. I am not sure what star levels would be appropriate. I have not been to New Orleans before so I am not sure what type of things we'd like to do there. I know I'd like to visit the FQ and Bourbon street. I am 29 and my traveling companion is 62 (but still is still willing and able to do everything from walking distances to staying out late).

Thank you,

Joe

Wait to get the car on Monday.

The FQ zone is your first choice, but any hotel in the Convention Center or Downtown zone will be within about a 10 minute walk to the Quarter. If you head to the Garden District you can take the streetcar, and even if you decide to head somewhere else away from downtown, roundtrip cab fare will be less than the cost of the car plus the cost of parking.

When you do get the car look for a downtown rental. Budget has a location right near the FQ on Canal St, Enterprise has one nearby that will offer pickup service, and the other agencies have locations in some downtown hotels. Renting downtown instead of at the airport will save you a bunch by avoiding the airport fees and taxes. If you're flying back out of MSY, you should still be able to return there with no extra dropoff fee.

Swag,

Thanks a lot for the reply. Answers a lot of my questions! :)

We are arriving at 3:30 on Saturday on Amtrak (Enterprise is right around the corner and they close at 4:00 so it would be cutting it close) but we are flying out of MSY on Thursday at 1:45 pm. I would like to pick up the car from Enterprise and return it to the airport. I will look into the other agencies as well. I did look at the rental costs and most of them were at least double to price to rent from the airport.. Crazy... 212 downtown and 389 at the airport for the same time periods..

-Joe

swag is more local to the area than i am, but i prefer to stick with the French Quarter and Downtown zones... if those are rejected up to your limit then consider the Convention Center area. As most visitors want to spend the bulk of their time in the Quarter, most of Downtown still gets you plenty close, whereas the southern most part of the Convention Center zone can get 'a little further out' for my preference (but still do-able)

If you're ready to start bidding for a hotel, let us know what star rating you'd like to try for first, and which zone(s) you'd like to include, and we'll suggest a strategy for you to follow.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Listed in order of preference.

Are you willing to pay more to stay in your first choice of zone vs. the others OR is the goal the least expensive 3* or better in any of the acceptable zones? (or do you want to bid your first two choices of zones before including the third?)

Let us know and we'll advise accordingly.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

The goal is to keep the cost down. Don't want to spend a lot more for the quarter or downtown. Would like to try the first two adding in the third later. But if the convenience of the quarter is worth the extra, would be willing to pay for it. Really Don't want to go over 100 a night. That would probably be the max but I don't know what would be realistic. Since we won't be getting a car till Monday I guess that money saved could be put into hotel. Say a max of 120 a night.

So I guess from your post it would be the least expensive 3* or better in the FQ/downtown first adding in the third (or all three f that's a better strategy).

So I guess from your post it would be the least expensive 3* or better in the FQ/downtown first adding in the third...

I think this is a viable strategy and i do think you have a good chance at being successful at $120 or less for a 3* property.

At the 3* level you have have TWO re-bid zones. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 3* Downtown...

Bid $75, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $80, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $85, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3* French Quarter...

Bid $75, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $80, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $85, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3* Downtown and French Quarter...

Bid $90, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $95, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $100

I'd start with the above and if rejected we'll take it from there. Any questions feel free to ask.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Looks like the two re-bid zones would be New Orleans East and Garden District.. So I bed 75 and was rejected. I need to add New Orleans East and bid 80? If that is rejected then add Garden District and bid 85... COrrect? Do the same with the other two strategies? NOEast has a 2* max and Garden District is 2 1/2* .. so if I enter 3* chances are I am not going to get those two zones?

Congratulations on your success!

Glad to see you were successful and came in under budget! Hope you're pleased with the results and looking forward to your trip.

Thank you for sharing your win and using the PRICELINE links on the board to begin your bidding.

Enjoy your stay.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]