Hotwire Hotel: 4 star hotel NEAR, not in Historic District Charleston, SC

IowaTraveler
By IowaTraveler,
in

162 a night plus 70 dollars in taxes and other charges. I don't care about the price, the issue I have is they booked a Hotel NEAR the district, not in the Historic district. Hotwire screwed us, they said in the description that the hotel would be 0.0-1.7 miles away from city center, well the hotel they booked me in is 2.3 miles from city center. I called the customer service because their map view wasn't working the night we booked and we thought 1.7 miles was okay distance to stay. Well now they have us by the Ashley river and its not even close to the Historic District. The lady on the phone stated that their area is anywhere from 0.0-10 miles away. WHY NOT PUT THAT IN THE DESCRIPTION?? I am not happy and will not use that site again. Horrible, stay away from Hotwire.

Been on the phone with them all day, apparently the distance is in a straight line from the hotel to the city center?? Why not put that in your description then. My wife and I talked it over and are going to swallow this and just accept it for what its worth. We will take Cabs where we go, apparently they are only 10-15 dollars to the historic district, we can afford 30 dollars a day in cab rides. It just sucks that they would lie to customers in their description and then not fess up to it. They kept coming up with excuses and reading other travelers tips apparently this hotel is not that great, but oh well.

Welcome to BetterBidding!

Sorry to hear you're disappointed with the results of your purchase. As per Our Rules and Policies:

While we welcome both positive and negative experiences, please keep in mind that the spirit of this message board is helping users.

If you have a complaint, problem, or question with a recent or upcoming Priceline/Hotwire stay, we will be happy to do what we can to help, but please be considerate of the board's primary goal of helping others and first post the details of your 'win.'

It is important for everyone to know when problems and customer service issues arise, but the majority of the users come here to see winning bid information... so please oblige them with this information before asking for them for help.

Please add a reply to this thread with the details of your purchase (star rating, city, zone, hotel name, room rate per nite, dates of your stay, amenities shown before your purchase) which you can still view by going to HOTWIRE and clicking the MY ACCOUNT link near the top right of their home page. We'll them comment on your purchase/issue above.

To best help others, please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Thanks.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

********* UPDATE ********

I was on the phone with their customer reps all afternoon on Sunday. After about an hour of talking to different customer reps, I finally asked to talk to a supervisor. They supervisor looked at everything and decided that their website was wrong and that they would offer me a refund/rebook through them. We got a closer hotel and its a nicer hotel for 4 dollars more. I did agree to the terms and I now know that their distances are in a direct line instead of street distance. So overall I am glad it got changed and I hope they change their descriptions for future references.

As per above, it would be appreciated if you helped others by sharing your previous purchase to the board in a reply to this thread, and start a NEW TOPIC for your subsequent purchase.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Thank you.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 9 months later...

The original Hotel was the Marriott on Ashley River...

Please add a reply to this thread with the details of your purchase (star rating, city, zone, hotel name, room rate per nite, dates of your stay, amenities shown before your purchase) which you can still view by going to HOTWIRE and clicking the MY ACCOUNT link near the top right of their home page.

They moved us to the double tree by Hilton by the market.

...and start a NEW TOPIC for your subsequent purchase.
(including all of the information above)

Thanks.

...amenities shown before your purchase) which you can still view by going to HOTWIRE and clicking the MY ACCOUNT link near the top right of their home page.

Amenities Include:

Free Parking

Smoke Free Rooms

Fitness Center

Pools

Restaurants

Valet Parking

Ballrooms

Suitable for children

Valet, Ballrooms, Suitable for Children are not amenities that HOTWIRE uses in their hotel descriptions.

HOTWIRE links contain sessions and therefore won't work on another computer or even on the same computer after 30 minutes (as your clicking the link above will verify)

Was this a 'retail' purchase from HOTWIRE? (as opposed to an 'opaque' purchase where you only learn the name after your purchase)

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

If it was an opaque purchase then viewing your purchase history thru the MY ACCOUNT link on the top right of HOTWIRE's home page should show you the amenities that were associated with this property at the time of your purchase, which Valet, Ballrooms, etc. are not part of the amenities used when displaying opaque inventory.

If you look again and don't see it, let's just leave it that you'll begin to share your future wins with the board as you receive them so that the information can help others (and it will also avoid any delay in receiving help for your future trips).

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

As a frequent user of the links in this site, I actually appreciated reading the issues this person had with Hotwire as they have made a similar mistake on a booking I had. Users of this site, or rather this frequent user who uses the links almost weekly, I find it unfortunate that every time someone adds something to this board, that the tone from the Administrator comes off as being dictatorial. The lesson here is to be careful with zone areas and yeah, to speak up when Hotwire is simply wrong.

I'm not sure what parts of the thread you found 'dictatorial', as that isn't/wasn't my intention.

If you look at the dates on this thread you'll see that the OP had an issue in April 2012 and left this thread without posting any of the information requested (hotel name, zone, or amenities) so we were unable to even begin investigating their claim of the hotel being in the wrong location and trying to help or comment further. It wasn't until Jan 2013 when they needed help with a new stay that they followed-up here since we required it before helping with their new trip. Unfortunately, as you can see from above, by this time it was too late as most of the details of the purchase were gone.

There is a certain amount of basic information that is required for a post to be helpful to others, and in this instance i was trying to confirm the amenities that were associated with this property so that others could use this information to identify it in the future... if the amenities are incomplete or incorrect, the post becomes substantially less useful for others. The end result was the situation i try to avoid... we still don't know the amenities associated with the properties purchased and future visitors to this area can't benefit.

As far as starting a NEW TOPIC for each win, this not only helps keep the board better organized, but is also required to keep many features of the board working properly. Each win/stay needs to have its own topic so that each has its own link and can appear in the Priceline and Hotwire Calendar of Wins and Priceline Maps.

Hope the above provides a logical explanation for any of my posts that you may have interpreted differently then they were intended.

• 2 months later...
Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]