Priceline Hotel: 4* New York City (Soho - Tribeca) Sheraton Tribeca New York Hotel

thecodemonkee
By thecodemonkee,
in

Hi all,

I just came across this forum and have found previous posts to be very helpful. My wife and I are visiting NYC for the first time over the Easter weekend. We're flying in to JFK early Friday morning and leaving late Sunday night. I've been checking hotwire rates for the past week or so and wanted to get some advise for priceline bidding.

Hotwire rates for downtown is at $180/night

Hotwire rates for midtown is at $210 - 240/night

I'd like to get something for about $150/night or lower. We're planning on taking the subway or walking most of the time and visiting the typical attractions (times square, central park, watch a show, etc.) Is this realistic?

We're planning to take the airtrain from JFK to Jamaica station and head into Manhattan. Is this our best option? Since we'll be there in the morning (way before check-in), will the hotel hold our bags? What would be the charge or tip for this?

Thanks in advance.

Hello thecodemonkee and welcome.

In order to have an idea on your price range we need to know what hotel rating you want? Do you want a 4* hotel or something lower.

You can use the Calendar of Wins here and see what people already won on the dates you want. This does not mean that you will be able to get the same rate but you can see the price range in general.

Do you prefer to stay in the midtown area or is going downtown to the financial district is o.k as well? The downtown area is usually cheaper.

Now going from JFK to Jamaica and from there to Manhattan is the best way i know off. Unless you want to use a taxi or something but the train is better specially if you get to JFK early morning, traffic can be bad.

If you have a reservation for a hotel they will always keep your bags until your room is ready so you dont have to worry about that. There is no extra pay for that, but when you arrive to the hotel to get your room someone will bring your bags to your room so for that you usually give a tip to the guy.

Getting a 4* hotel in midtown on those dates will not be easy but in the downtown area it possible.

Getting from the downtown to times square for example will take you 15 minutes with the subway, it's not a big deal.

You need to decide what's more important to you, the location or the hotel level.

You can try bidding on a 3.5* hotel in midtown and see if you get something in your budget. If that doesnt work you can try the downtown area with 4*.

$150 seems like it may be difficult for these dates, but to begin, what do you want to try first:

-The least expensive 4* hotel in all acceptable zones?

-Try for a 4* first in the midtown zones, then if that is rejected try for a 4* Downtown

-Try for a 4* first in the midtown zones, then if that is rejected try for a 3.5* Downtown

-The least expensive 3.5* hotel in all acceptable zones?

Let us know your thoughts and we'll take it from there.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I've tried 4* up to 175 in the midtown area and 4* in downtown up to 150 with no luck. I think we'll have to bump up the budget to 200 and keep looking midtown. How would the 3.5* compare? Would we be better off in a 4* downtown? What about the upper west?

We're pretty flexible and don't want to stay in a crappy place.

If you are willing to go up to $200 i would suggest to keep trying in midtown, i do believe that in the area of $200 you should be able to find something.

In the downtown area you should be able to find something at a price a bit higher than what you tried. Maybe $160 or a bit more.

You should maybe check if on those dates in NYC there is a big even. Something like a big conference, concert or anything that would book the hotels in the city. If so it will be hard to find a cheap room.

About 3.5*, you cant really know. There are some good 3.5* hotels and on the other hand there are some poor hotels. With bidding you can never know what you get so it's kinda a problem to guess.

It's not really proven that waiting closer to the date will give you better rates. On one hand if the hotel is not full closer to the date it is logical to think that the hotel will prefer to sell the rooms at a lower rate than not tonsell at all. On the other hand you can never know if hotel will get full or not.

I am actually surprised that you were not able to get a hotel in the downtown area for $185.

Actually thinking about it now those dates are holidays:

6th is good Friday

7th is Passover

8th is Easter

This is the reason for the high prices and hotels probably more full.

I dont really know the long island area so I can't tell you much about it.

I think you're likely quite close to a win in MTW/MTE/CPS; if $185 was not accepted, I'd try $190, then $195. I'm guessing you're likely looking at a range at the 4* level in these zones between $190-210. Please let us know if you have any questions before bidding.

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

I am a bit surprised at the high prices since holidays don't usually negatively effect rates in NYC... usually holidays are a little less than usual since although it brings in a few more tourists able to travel due to time off from work, there is little/no business travel taking place which tends to free up a fair amount of hotel rooms. On the otherhand, this is the beginning of high season so perhaps this is just a preview of even higher rates to come.

As far as Long Island City, i'm not a fan of the area as it just feels 'dirty' to me with lots of industrial areas and graffiti on walls. As well, this zone only goes up to 3* and i would sooner consider a 3* in Manhattan before opting for a 3* in Long Island City. If you're willing to bid up to your $200 limit i think your chances of success are "pretty good" at landing a centrally located 3.5* or better hotel in Manhattan itself.

If you are looking at a Manhattan alternative i sooner recommend the 4* hotels in the Jersey City area, as the area along the waterfront (where the 4* hotels are located) has been revitalized and is quite nice (although i'm admittedly biased since i'm a 'jersey boy'). HOWEVER, i don't think Jersey City will likely save you that much money for these dates and if it is your first trip to NYC, you should try as much as possible to stay in midtown (Downtown is ok too if it offers substantial savings, which i don't think it does for these dates given your previously rejected bids, and Downtown will be fairly quiet given the holiday weekend (so you may not feel the full 'buzz' of the city).

Let us know your thoughts on how you'd like to proceed and we'll take it from there.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Another option is to look at Fort Lee, NJ.

I don't think i'd recommend bidding this area as a NYC alternative. I wasn't aware of the shuttle from the Doubletree to the Hilton so thanks for letting us know about that, but besides potential traffic, inconvenience and not knowing how frequently/infrequently the shuttle runs, the issue is that you could easily receive a different hotel in this zone and your options to get to NYC diminish greatly.

EDIT TO ADD: there is a charge for the shuttle and it makes 8 round trips per day (although i don't know how early it starts or how late the last shuttle leaves NYC)

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]