Priceline Hotel: Bid Asssistance for NYC 7/1/12-7/04/2012

Neelee
By Neelee,
in

I'm planning a first-time trip to NYC 7/1/12 to 7/4/12 on my way back from NJ. I'm on a limited budget (up to $125/nite) and was planning on 3*. I searched hotels.com and tripadvisor.com for the prices and areas I'm interested in and settled into either MTW, MTE, CPS, or TS. Looks like my only free rebid zone would be CI.

I've reviewed your link on NYC Zone Descriptions and NYC Hotel Star Ratings, and another on why you shouldn't just look for places in Times Square.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Before bidding the zones above, note that:

MTE - when bidding less than 4* in this zone some of the hotels can be up to a 15 minute walk to the subway, would this be acceptable?

CPS - this zone contains the Hudson hotel, which while well located has notoriously small rooms (~140 sq. ft.) would this be acceptable?

At less than 4* the MSG and Chelsea zones are also frequently bid, so i would consider these too if they should work for your plans/needs this trip.

Based upon the above please confirm the zone(s) you want to include in your bidding, or ask any questions you have about the area, and we'll advise accordingly.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Before bidding the zones above, note that:

MTE - when bidding less than 4* in this zone some of the hotels can be up to a 15 minute walk to the subway, would this be acceptable?

Would prefer to be a little closer to subway since I'm traveling alone with a child. We need to take the train/subway to JFK for departure

CPS - this zone contains the Hudson hotel, which while well located has notoriously small rooms (~140 sq. ft.) would this be acceptable?

Would like to try to avoid small rooms. I saw that was mentioned in a different post.

At less than 4* the MSG and Chelsea zones are also frequently bid, so i would consider these too if they should work for your plans/needs this trip.

Would you suggest starting with 4* and sticking with the same zones?

Based upon the above please confirm the zone(s) you want to include in your bidding, or ask any questions you have about the area, and we'll advise accordingly.

Also fell upon a site called Tingo which promises to refund money if the rates drop. One place I saw that might be interesting is Yotel @ Times Square. Might be good for a backup plan,but I have to see what their cancellation policies are.

Would you suggest starting with 4* and sticking with the same zones?

You could try, but based upon current rates at the moment, i don't think your $125 budget will be enough for a 4* hotel in the zones above.. although i'd also suggest included ESB if you believe this would work fine for your plans as well.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Let us know how you'd like proceed and we'll take it from there.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I've been studying the forums all week. I think I'd like to try for the 4* - looks like people have been most successful in that category because of the number of rebids. Still interested mainly in the following zones in order of preference.

Zone - Area

16 - TS

12 - MTW

11 - MTE

2 - CPS

Unless anyone has a better suggestion, I'll start with the strategy I found common in the Help Request for 4* in NYC (example: post #155082)

HOTWIRE does have a 3.5* property in Times Square for $138/nite for your dates.. but it has not yet been identified nor is there any other information provided to take much of an educated guess, so it's unknown if this property is equivalent to a PRICELINE 3.5* property OR is more like a 3*.

Let us know how you make out and if we can be of further help.

Went thru the previous mentioned strategy. Took me almost 45 minutes because I wanted to be very careful not to mess up. All rejected. Found an acceptable hotel for $149. I might just take that instead of stressing. I'll give it one more try after my 24 hours are up.

• 3 weeks later...

The $149/nite hotel is no longer available. It was the Hilton Gardens and the price is now at $189.

I've been unsuccessful so far in diligently using the suggested bidding strategy.

I'm thinking about booking a 'refundable' backup at Wyndham Gardens currently at $169. Yes, that's more than I want to spend, however, if I book directly I get airline miles as opposed to doing via PL.

Thoughts?

Ideally you want your back-up hotel to be something that you could live with should it be necessary to do so. I have a feeling that opaque rates for these dates will come down in the next few weeks, but you should have a back-up you're willing to live with in case they don't (or should rates move higher).

Although it's a bit west, you may want to use the 4* Ink 48 Hotel has a back-up (always double check the terms during the check-out to ensure fully cancellable) but the reviews are GREAT, it's a Kimpton property so it has an evening wine reception each day, and is currently on sale for $157/nite for your dates.

You've already bid up to $150? What star rating and zones?

It's not recommended to follow the strategies from another thread when the other user's dates are different than your own (their dates are for peak season in May, where as your dates are for the slower summer timeframe, i wouldn't be following the strategy in that thread)

Also, the thread you reference is bidding 4* in the TS, MTW, MTE, and Chelsea zones. This is not the typical mix of hotels usually bid at the 4* level, as the zones most often bid at this star rating are: MTE, MTW, TS, CPS and ESB. Is the first set of zones better or more appropriate for your needs this trip?

...the thread you reference is bidding 4* in the TS, MTW, MTE, and Chelsea zones. This is not the typical mix of hotels usually bid at the 4* level, as the zones most often bid at this star rating are: MTE, MTW, TS, CPS and ESB. Is the first set of zones better or more appropriate for your needs this trip?

Can you confirm which zone(s) you've been bidding and we'll have a look at rates for these dates.

Thanks.

Can you confirm which zone(s) you've been bidding and we'll have a look at rates for these dates.

Thanks.

I want to stay in the Times Square Area and have bidded on the following 4* areas using the 7 rebids:

1 -TS Times Square - Theatre District

2 - MTW Midtown West

3 -MTE Midtown East

4 - CPS Central Park South

Again, based on a previous suggested bid thread (which I now know is a no no).

I'm assuming you've bid these zones up to $150?

Is there a reason you're not including ESB in your bidding... does this zone not work for your plans?

The 3.5* Times Square property is still offered on HOTWIRE for $147 with:

Smoke Free Rooms

Fitness Center

Restaurant(s)

High-Speed Internet Access

Accessible for the blind

Accessible for the deaf

Free Internet

Accessible path of travel

In-room accessibility

Accessible bathroom

Handicapped parking

Roll-in shower

Again, it's unknown if this is equivalent to a PRICELINE 3.5* or 3* (or if PRICELINE even uses this same property), but it is currently showing a 100% recommendation from previous users and a 4.5/5.0 Tripadvisor rating, both of which are excellent (although the 'breakdown' of information that HOTWIRE asks previous guests to rate is a little weak with this property scoring 3.5 in some categories. So it comes down to whether you like your current back-up at the Ink48 (which appears to have gone up in price since you reserved) vs. this HOTWIRE offer (although i'd also suggest including ESB in your bidding, should that work for your needs)

Thank you, Thereuare,

I have backup reservations at Hilton Garden Inn @ Times Square for $156/night.

I can't remember why I didn't include ESB.

Do you have a strategy you would like me to use for either a 3.5* or 4*?

If not, I'll do the best I can and report back to the board.

I cannot thank you and other advanced members enough for all you do to ensure we all get a great deal. You all ROCK!

At the 4* level in NYC you have SEVEN re-bid zones. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 4* TS, MTE, MTW, ESB...

Bid $115, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $125, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $133, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $135, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $138, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $140, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* CPS...

Bid $115, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $125, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $133, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $135, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $138, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $140, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* TS, MTE, MTW, ESB, CPS...

Bid $143, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $145, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $148, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $150, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $153, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $155, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $158, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $160

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Another $5-$10 may be enough for a 4* hotel in the zones above if you're want to stretch your budget a bit further in order to 'get this done'... i wouldn't necessarily lower your star rating just yet if you'd really prefer a 4* for this trip.

• 6 years later...

Apologies for not following up to close the thread. Thank you for the reminder, Thereuare.

I looked back on my 2012 travel records for this trip

I ended up going with my backup plan - Hilton Garden Inn Times Square - using Tingo @ $156.00.  The location was perfect for what we wanted to do.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]