Priceline Hotel: NH Barizon Palace in Amsterdam's City Centre?

rundent
By rundent,
in

The NH Barizon Palace is actually in the city centre and not the museum quarter.

I'm guessing you ask the question because you saw someone else win the hotel for a lower amount, well just because one person got a price doesnt mean that if you bid again you will get the same deal. Maybe they offered the last room for that price or maybe they are just full. There can be many reasons for that.

I am bidding in City Centre for more money with no results. Is the Palace considered in the Museum quarter or is it because I am only looking for one night [8/25/12]?

I spent some time with the Palace marked on a Google map on one screen, and the Priceline zone maps zoomed way in on another screen. As near as I can tell, the Palace is clearly in the City Centre zone. Just across from the Centraal metro stop.

Looking for just one night is not a problem.

It is possible NH just hasn't released any rooms to the Priceline inventory yet. Also, hotel rates generally seem to be higher this year.

You've got nearly 5 months yet. Maybe you could just bid about once every week or two for now.

Sometimes people make cancelable back-up reservations, and then feel more comfortable bidding up until the very last minute. You might consider that.

Finally, there are other 5* hotels in that zone that others have reported as receiving. You could also receive one of those, or even an as yet unreported hotel.

Romelle

Welcome to BetterBidding!

Just a reminder that you can't bid on a specific hotel when using PRICELINE, you have to be able to accept any hotel in the zone at the star level (or higher) that you choose. With HOTWIRE you can often take an educated guess as to what is being offered based upon the amenities associated with the property, but it's still a 'best guess' and no guarantees you will receive the hotel you're hoping for. As well, HOTWIRE only shows one hotel at each star level per zone, so there is a chance the hotel you're hoping for isn't the one which is offered for your particular dates.

How high have you already tried for a 5* hotel in the City Centre zone?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I am a seasoned Priceline bidder. I have bid up to $131 a few times since the middle of January for 5* Central region and been rejected. So you can see why I a perplexed at others winning any 5* for this period. I was not aiming for any particular property - I know that can't be done.

I am a seasoned Priceline bidder. I have bid up to $131 a few times since the middle of January for 5* Central region and been rejected. So you can see why I a perplexed at others winning any 5* for this period. I was not aiming for any particular property - I know that can't be done.

Hotwire has a 5* Central region for $151 (your date), so you could be getting close with Priceline. Your date is so far out (over 4 months) the hotels simply just might not have given many rooms to Priceline's inventory yet.

That 5* win on the Calendar of Wins ($102) the following week is for several nights, including the Saturday night. Priceline does some averaging, so it may have been helped by lower weekday rates. Or the person may have simply benefited from a hotel error - it happens.

I'd suggest making a cancelable back-up reservation, and then continuing the bidding every once in a while until it gets closer to the date.

And maybe posting some of your other wins to help other members here? I'm a member, not an administrator, but I know every data point helps when I'm researching a trip. Pretty please????

Romelle

Bid for Zone 2 & 5* most seem to be getting the BP for around $100 ..I got it for June for $102

Just keep trying Start again at $95 you never know when it will come up with the right price ;)

I noticed that someone got the BP for Oct so I guess it is not too early to bid for

Aug

Have you checked to see if any major events are happening the same time you want a hotel?

I have bid up to $131 a few times since the middle of January for 5* Central region and been rejected. So you can see why I a perplexed at others winning any 5* for this period.

Rates can vary significantly from day-to-day...

As you state you use PRICELINE often (we welcome your winning bids in the future) i'm not sure why you're so perplexed by your rejections... rates for this solo nite start at $216/nite which is a bit higher than usual, and when retail rates are higher than usual, it often requires a higher maximum bid as well. Looking at historical trends you may currently be successful at $140-$145, but not sure how high you're willing to bid 4+ months before your stay.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I am bidding for Aug 25th. I do have a reservation at a 5* for $177 including taxes and fees directly from the Amsterdam Marriott which should make a winning bid around $120, or a little more, likely. This makes me think that the rooms just haven't been given over to Priceline yet. Then, if that's so, how can someone else have nailed one?

...how can someone else have nailed one?

Again, lots of possibilities for this...

First, as noted above, rates vary from day-to-day... and they also vary over time.

Here is kitty28's Priceline win but their win was for June, so not directly relevant to your own trip since for different dates.

Using our Priceline and Hotwire Calendar of Wins i found this Priceline Amsterdam hotel win which includes your date of 8/25, but this win is for a longer 4 nite stay of 8/22-8/26. As an example, assume the first 3 nites of this stay cost $75 but the last nite (the nite you need) costs $300... it becomes evident how bidding for just the last nite would need a higher bid then if bidding for all four nites (assuming the hotel averages their rates). Along these same lines, even if rates are constant throughout the trip, it's also possible that the hotel requires a 2 nite minimum, which the previous win qualifies for but yours does not. Lastly, it's also possible that the hotel had low occupancy for these dates and therefore lowered prices (the other user won their hotel), the lower prices have since sparked demand and the hotel is now at 'normal' occupancy, and have since raised rates again.

The above are all plausible, but the most likely scenario is the first one, as taking this a step further retail rates for the 4 nite stay star at $160/nite vs. retail rates for your solo Saturday start at $216/nite.

Hope that provides a bit more insight.

Keep us updated on your progress and let us know if we can be of further help along the way.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]