Priceline Hotel: Need strategy booking over Jazzfest

Dillsnik
By Dillsnik,
in

I have stayed in nola before, I am fine with downtown or FQ, have actually only stayed in DT area, never in FQ. Does it pay to just start bidding with both zones right from the start or one then the other? Also, any advice as to whether to open it up to additional areas like convention center maybe?

Any idea what to expect to pay so i have an idea where to start the bidding? Not sure if hotels might open up at a lower price so if i try a new search one day, do i keep with same bidding price or up the initial bid from the previous day's attempts?

As previously requested:

PS- please follow-up your previous Priceline NYC and Priceline Las Vegas thread with whatever you ended up doing for each stay (even if you didn't use PRICELINE or HOTWIRE, canceled the trip, booked direct, etc)

Please follow-up/close your threads above, as well as your Priceline Atlantic City thread, then reply to this thread and we'll have a look at and comment on your post above.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Thanks.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Interesting questions.

If you like FQ and DT equally, it makes sense to start bidding both of them right away. When I'm bidding, and have some preference for one zone over another, I try to "monitize" the preference and then bid accordingly. Maybe one zone is worth $20 more to me because of transportation savings. So I start bidding in the preferred zone, and then don't add in the less favored one until my bidding has gotten $20 higher.

Which star level do you plan to bid, and do you have a budget in mind? At the 4* level there are a number of free re-bid zones. Even when one gets down to the 2.5* level there is still one free re-bid zone.

Since the big idea with Priceline is to let hotels sell otherwise un-occupied rooms, they can (and do) give rooms to Priceline up until the very last. There are plenty of examples of people bidding the same one day with no success, only to have the number work the next day.

You can get a general idea of what you might have to pay just by putting your dates in Hotwire (left side above). I just looked ... ouch ... even a 3* FQ is $367 for your dates. You might do a little better than that via Priceline, but it most likely will still be fairly expensive.

Romelle

PS- please follow-up your previous Priceline NYC...
Please confirm whatever you ended up doing for this trip.

Given the very high rates for these dates, what is the best rate you're able to find thru conventional booking channels and what is your maximum bid for this stay?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Bidding for rooms during Jazzfest has gotten tougher over the last year or two. Last year, I got rejected repeatedly for a room for first weekend, until finally having success around $100 just 2 days before check-in. This year may be even tighter. I think the target range for deals would be $100-175, but I wouldn't expect them more than a week in advance, and it's possible they may not come at all. Of course, it doesn't hurt to keep trying now anyway, you never know.

I have a friend that has an extra reservation at the Staybridge Suites downtown for $150 a night plus tax. It's a 3* hotel. How good is that of a rate for this time of year? I know jazzfest is busy so rates are high. Should i take that or keep trying with PL? I need to let him know.

At the moment....yes it does. I can't get a room that cheap but i guess it's the gamble of will rooms open up. I know for sure they will at some point, but it's just am i (and probably more so my GF) willing to wait till the last minute and roll the dice to get a last minute deal. Things always open up late for stuff like this. People book rooms and then cancel cause they CAN up till the last minute. That's how priceline works well for us. But this far out.....probably no hotel has enough availability to even place rooms on PL.

Y'know?

Things always open up late for stuff like this.

At times I have seen this not... but nobody can say if this will/won't be the case this time, but it's up to you how much you're willing to wait/take the chance.

PLEASE use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board for your bidding, searches and purchases.

Keep us updated on your progress and let us know if we an be of further help along the way.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]