Priceline Hotel: Biding Assistance: 4*, May 7-12, TS/MTW/MTE/Chelsea

nmanatious
By nmanatious,
in

Hello nmanatious and welcome,

So let's start with the 5 nights thing. In my opinion it will be easier for you if you split your bids in to 2 or 3 nights in the beginning and the rest of the nights after it. Now you still have a lot of time before your visit so you can start by bidding on the whole 5 nights.

This connects to your last question, it's never to early to bid. You dont loose anything by trying to bid few times a week and see if you get lucky.

The zones you want to bid on are basically the most popular zones that people bid on, it's in the centre of NY with easy access everywhere.

You are correct about the 7 free re-bidding zones, so if your maximum bid is $210 i would start from $170 and go up by $5 each time until you find something.

Now you have to remember that NY usually has a good weather in May so more tourists are coming. I do believe that you will be able to book a hotel at your budget.

Again, you still have a lot of time before your visit so my suggestion would be to start bidding few times a week to try your luck from now.

As i said, those dates wont be cheap probably, with that said you still have a lot of time before your visit so starting lower now can be a good strategy.

I would say bid few times a week. One of the times try to get a lower price and see if you get lucky. The other times try around your budget.

You can always check the Calendar of Wins here and see what other people won. This doesnt mean that you will be able to get exactly the same deal but you will know around what price you can get the hotel.

The most popular 4* zones in NYC are MTE, MTW, CPS, TS and ESB... is there a reason you're not including CPS and/or ESB in your bidding? (Chelsea is fine too, just note one of the most frequently bid zones)

Your budget is probably just on the low end of the expected range, so my guess is that a win is possible, based upon currently rates you'll likely come up just a bit short at this time (but still worth trying). As well, including all acceptable zones would increase your chances just from the standpoint that it gives more hotels the opportunity to accept your bid. Also, i'm not sure if SPLITTING YOUR PRICELINE BID will necessarily help this stay that much, at least not based upon the rates i'm seeing at this time, given that your dates are mostly (more expensive) midweek nites.

Let us know if you want to stick with your original zone locations or if you want to also include CPS and/or ESB, and we'll suggest a strategy for you to follow.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks a lot THEREUARE for your input! My decision to not want CPS and ESB was mainly based on the hotel list, I didn't find that many good options in these areas. I would like to try a win with the 4* rating first. If not possible, what I would be willing to do is lower my star rate to 3.5* instead of 4*. In this case my areas of interest would be: TS, MSG, UWS, MTE, MTW and Chelsea. Free re-bid areas: CI, LI, LES, MO, QU, UES. For a 3.5* should I go up to $210 or is it too much? What should be my starting bid?

Thanks a lot! ;)

Since your first objective is for a 4* hotel i would suggest trying that first, then if rejected you can decide if you want to lower your star rating to 3.5*, SPLITTING YOUR PRICELINE BID, or wait it out a little and hope for lower prices in the next week or two (before lowering your star rating or using one of the other options).

When bidding 4* in NYC you have SEVEN re-bid zones. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 4* TS and MTW...

Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $135, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $140, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $145, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* MTE and Chelsea...

Select 4* TS and MTE...

Bid $150, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $155, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $160, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* MTW and Chelsea...

Select 4* MTE and MTW...

Bid $165, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $170, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* TS and Chelsea...

Select 4* TS and MTW and MTE and Chelsea...

Bid $175, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $180, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $185, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $190, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $195, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $200, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $205, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $210

Any questions feel free to ask.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I'd try every 2-3 days at the 4* level for a week or so, then consider adding alternate areas or dropping to 3.5* One issue of note at 3.5* in TS/MTW/MTE and Chelsea is that there are a couple of 3.5*'s in MTE that are rather far East in the zone.

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

Thanks, AaronJB. That's what I had in mind, to begin with the 4* system TEHREUARE suggested for 1-2 weeks. If it doesn't work I will go down to 3.5*, but then I'll need a different strategy (I suppose). As for the "far east" location of the 3.5* in MTE, I don't mind as long as there are subway stations close by. In any case, I'll post my updates here. Do you know if some week days are better then others to bid? Thanks again everyone...

Regards...

There are really no better days/periods to bid - hotels can possibly add/change inventory at any time. If you were coming in the back half of the year, you could be a little more relaxed about bidding, but with Spring appearing fairly busy, bidding a few times in the next week/week-and-a-half would be recommended and then if nothing is accepting up to $210 (although hopefully something will), let us know and we would be happy to suggest alternatives.

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

Tried today (1.April) but no luck... I'll try again in a couple of days.

I have a question regarding the strategy suggested by THEREUARE for the 4* hotels: could I use my re-bid zones to go like this:

Select 4* TS and MTW...

Bid $145, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $155, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Bid $145, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $155, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* TS and MTE...

Bid $160, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $170, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $195, if rejected close browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* MTE and MTW...

Bid $210

Select 4* TS and MTW and MTE and Chelsea...

Bid $210

This way I need to register only 6 times instead of 7... Anyway, just a thought. Thanks!

Using one chunk of the alternative you posted above:

Select 4* TS and MTE...

The 'problem' is that if you think you have a chance at a 4* hotel between $160-$195, then you end up bidding too high in TS and MTE before trying MTW and Chelsea. For example, assume the following:

TS and MTE - has a hotel available at $195

MTE and Chelease - has a hotel available at $160

Using your strategy you pay an extra $35/nite more for a 4* hotel then you needed to since you never had a chance to try the other two zones. The strategy i posted is 'better' in the sense that as your bids become more realistic the range that you bid becomes smaller and smaller.

Keep us updated on your progress and let us know if we can be of further help along the way.

I am checking the Priceline and Hotwire Calendar of Wins and seems like people have been getting some great prices for 3.5* hotels. The hotels seem really nice as well. I am now considering whether I should try a 3.5* strategy now for a lower price, any suggestions? My interest zones are: TS/MTW/MTE/Chelsea, UWS and MSq. Free re-bid zones would be: CI, LI, LES, Morn., Queens, UES. Thanks, guys...

Whether you decide to lower your bid or not is a personal choice based upon what your needs/goals are for this stay and how much you 'use' the hotel vs. just use it as a place to sleep.

I'm not seeing that much different in star rating prices between the 3.5* and 4* properties so i'm not certain how much lowering your star rating will help, but if you do decide to lower your star rating, note that some of the hotels at this star level in the MTE zone can be up to a 15 minute walk to the subway, so you'll need to comfortable with this walk if you include this in your 3.5* bidding.

As well, i would likely avoid UWS at the 3.5* since some hotels can go a bit further north than ideal. HOWEVER, if you are willing to accept this zone i would try the bidding above again at the 4* level as i think you have a shot at a 4* hotel in the UWS zone.

Let us know your thoughts as to how you'd like to proceed and we'll advise accordingly.

I don't plan to spend that much time in the hotel but I would like to have something comfortable enough... I'm traveling with my mother and she is my priority. That is why I am thinking a 4* hotel would be a better option, BUT if you say the quality is not that different from a 3.5*, then maybe I should try a new strategy. Maybe adding the 3.5* will improve my chances of winning... I am trying for a 5 night stay and it is hard enough, right?

I agree with you about NOT having MTE in my 3.5* choice, walking that much for a subway is not a good idea. As far as UWS, I would also remove it from my 3.5* list and not add it to my 4* choice. So, what is left for the 3.5* strategy is: TS, MTW, MSq and Chelsea. Could you suggest a new strategy going up to $200? Thanks again for your help.

And BTW, I tried the 4* options today (April 3rd) with no success...

I'm not seeing that much different in star rating prices between the 3.5* and 4* properties so i'm not certain how much lowering your star rating will help...

...BUT if you say the quality is not that different from a 3.5*...

Sorry, i had a typo from my intended meaning above (sometimes the 'common words' just seem to type themselves... especially when coffee deprived :) ), but you can see the edit above which changes the meaning from what i intended vs. what you had read.

I think if you also add CPS into the mix (at the 4* level) you have a shot at the Empire Hotel, which is 4* rated and gets decent reviews, but rooms are known to be a bit on the small-ish side.

Based upon the correction above let us know your thoughts and how you'd like to proceed and we'll take it from there.

Ok, so the prices are not that different... but even so, from I could see in the reviews from some 3.5* hotels, they are pretty decent as well, and including the 3.5* I would have better chances of finding something for so many nights, right? I think, if you agree with the "better chances" argument, that I want to try for the 3.5* hotels. Could you suggest a strategy?

Interested are: TS, MTW, Msq, ESB and Chelsea.

Free-rebis zones: CI, LI, LES, Morn, Queens and UES

Do you suggest adding CPS and UWS?

Thanks again...

Do you suggest adding CPS and UWS?

I would only do so at the 4* level... not the 3.5* level. However, as noted above, i think you have a shot at a 4* in the UWS zone within your budget.

The star rating you select is the minimum you're willing to accept, so when you bid 3.5* PRICELINE will also see if there is a 4* hotel willing to accept your bid, so from this aspect you could say your chances are 'better' since more hotels are available to accept your bid. HOWEVER, this only holds true if you're bidding the same exact zones at the 4* level and the 3.5* level.

As noted above i would only include UWS and CPS at the 4* level (and not at the 3.5* level)... same goes for the MTE zone as discussed earlier. So for example let's assume that you could win a 4* hotel in the UWS zone within your current budget, but not a 3.5* in the zones you're willing to accept when bidding that level... in this example even though you've lowered your star rating your chances did not get better, and you would have been better to simply have bid the 4* level first.

Since i don't see much savings at the 3.5* level vs. the 4* level, assuming you're interested in the Empire Hotel, i would likely bid 4* up to my limit, then if rejected start a 'fresh' bid at the 3.5* level for the zones i'm willing to accept at that star level, but if you'd prefer a less priced 3.5* hotel vs. a higher priced 4* property (regardless of just how small/large the price difference would be) then the strategy of bidding for a 3.5* up to your limit, then if rejected try for a 4* up to your limit (including zones you didn't include at the 3.5* level) would be perfectly acceptable as well. Neither would be 'right' or 'wrong', but it would come down to personal preference regarding the desire for star rating vs. budget vs. zones bid at each star level.

Hopefully you're able to follow my ramblings :) but if not feel free to ask any questions you have. Based upon the above let us know your thoughts and we'll suggest a strategy for you to follow.

Thanks again! And yes, I was able to follow your line of thought! You don't ramble as much as you think ;)

So, I say we add the UWS and CPS to the 4* strategy and leave the 3.5* for later. How should I do this? Should I also add ESB area? They have a lot of 4* options... Any suggestions to adding the 2 or 3 new zones to the strategy? And I would like to try going only up to $200 if possible...

Thanks...

I think the ESB zone is well located/convenient and would have no issues staying there. While a new hotel could come up at anytime, i would first look at the Priceline Hotel List and determine if you're comfortable receiving any of the 'known' 4* hotels in this zone, and let that determine if you want to include this in your bidding or not.

I've simply adjusted the previous strategy to include CPS and UWS, as well as ESB if you choose to include it. I have kept bid prices the same but you can stop at $200 if that is your newest maximum bid price (although if not successful at $200, then the $10 difference could be the difference between success/failure, but you can always decide if you want to continue up to $210 if your $200 bid fails).

Select 4* TS and MTW and UWS and CPS (and ESB)...

Select 4* TS and MTE and UWS and CPS (and ESB)...

Select 4* MTE and MTW and UWS and CPS (and ESB)...

Select 4* TS and Chelsea...

Select 4* TS and MTW and MTE and Chelsea and UWS and CPS (and ESB)...

Bid $210

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Thanks for your assistance once again, thereuare! I tried today (April 5th) with all the areas (CPS/ESB/MTW/MTE/UWS/TS and Chelsea) up to $210 but no luck.

I think it is too early for my dates... Just for safety, I've a back-up cancelable reservation in a 3* hotel (The Milburn Hotel) in UWS for $220/night(before taxes). Do you think I should keep trying everyday or maybe give it a few days to see if anything changes?

Thanks again to everyone on the betterbidding forum, it really is super helpful! Fingers crossed I'll get a good deal...eventually! ;)

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]