Priceline Hotel: Need help bidding

Samantha33
By Samantha33,
in

Hello!

I hope this is okay to post. I am hoping to get either the Mark Hopkins International (Union Square West) or the Grand Hyatt (Unsion Square East) for around ~$110/night for the dates of 4/13-4/15. Does this sound realistic? I thought I saw some other posts of people getting it for about this price around the same dates. Can anyone help me, or have any suggestions on how to bid to ensure I get one of these hotels for around my requested price?

Thanks!

Welcome to BetterBidding!

You can't bid on a specific hotel when using PRICELINE, you have to be able to accept any hotel in the zone at the star level (or higher) that you choose. With HOTWIRE you can often take an educated guess as to what is being offered based upon the amenities associated with the property, but it's still a 'best guess' and no guarantees you will receive the hotel you're hoping for. As well, HOTWIRE only shows one hotel at each star level per zone, so there is a chance the hotel you're hoping for isn't the one which is offered for your particular dates.

Let us know if/how you'd like to proceed and we'll take it from there.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks for the clarification. I have read your how-tos but am still struggling. Basically, I will take any 4* hotel in union square-- either East or West for around $110-120. What is the best way for me to bid using Priceline? And also, is this a realistic price range?

Thanks so much!!

Are you familiar with re-bidding? If not, see Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board (HINT: you have SEVEN re-bid zones when bidding 4* in the San Francisco area)

Once you have confirmed your re-bid zones we'll suggest a strategy for you to follow.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases. (please click each of these links before replying)

Thanks.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

From the rebidding thread:

"If your bid is rejected, you can often add a zone that does NOT offer that star level or higher (ie- add a zone that ONLY offers lower star ratings) and bid once again, raising your bid by a slight amount. An example follows:

Assume city XYZ has an uptown and downtown zone. You bid 4* uptown at $50 and are turned down, and are told you can bid again if you change something. IF downtown ONLY offers 3* Hotels and BELOW, you can add the downtown zone (so you are now bidding on downtown AND uptown) and once again bid for 4*. This will allow you to raise your bid and try again, essentially only bidding uptown, since downtown doesn't have any hotels that fit your star level criteria."

In terms of re-bidding opportunities at the 4* level, you are looking for hotels that do not have 4* or above. USE, USW do have 4*. You do need to use the initial bidding screen with the map and zone selection (and check each time, as there is the possibility that things can change) and select each zone to see available star ratings for that zone in order to confirm all of your re-bid possibilities. Please first confirm your re-bid options with the board and we would be happy to suggest how to proceed.

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

(HINT: you have SEVEN re-bid zones when bidding 4* in the San Francisco area)

In that case, my rebid zones (which do not offer 4* hotels would be: Japan Town, Fishermans Wharf and Civic Center South.

That is 3 out of the 7 (make sure you're using PRICELINE's own site, and not the Priceline Hotel List, to determine your re-bid zones). To break it down further, try the following:

1) Use the PRICELINE search box on the upper right of this page, enter San Francisco and your dates, and click "GO".

2) List each zone that is offered in this region.

3) Next to each zone list the highest star rating offered in the zone. The way to determine the highest star rating offered in the zone is by selecting the first zone i the list, then scrolling down to see the highest star rating selectable (ie- not greyed out). NEXT UNcheck the selected zone, place a checkmark in the next zone, and repeat the process for each zone in the region. Each time you take note of the highest star rating in the zone, make sure that only ONE zone is selected above.

4) post your findings and we'll take it from there

If you don't follow the above just post back and we'll break it down further.

• 1 year later...
Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]