Priceline Hotel: Bidding help please

snorklegirl
By snorklegirl,
in

Hi there - I would like bidding help on two rooms in Waikiki for October 5-8. Looking at Radisson Prince Kuhio, or something around the 68-75 dollar price range. I would like to avoid the Park Shore.

I have followed this board for some time - but still find the concept confusing :) Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

I have followed this board for some time - but still find the concept confusing  :)  Any help would be appreciated!

so what's confusing? :)

To answer your questions, and somebody please correct me if I'm wrong, there's no way of "knowing" you'll get the Radisson and not the Park Shore. Indeed, for your nights, when I look at priceline vacations, the Park Shore comes up and not the Radisson. That's certainly not foolproof, but if you want a 3 star in that zone, it's somewhat of a roll of the dice.

Interestingly, on both priceline vacations and hotwire, the "priceline 4 stars" are pricing out similarly to the "priceline 3 stars" for your nights. I think you can get the Prince in the North zone for little more than $100. That would solve your Park Shore fear and get you a nice hotel in a slightly different location, but obviously it's not $60 or $70. I don't know what would happen if you bid $60 for the 3 stars -- the info shown suggests you'll get rejected, but they could be hiding something. So you can roll the dice . . . or focus on the 4 stars.

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks for the reply - acutally it's the free rebid zone thing that I don't fully understand. I do understand that I cannot guarantee what hotel I will get - so your suggestion of trying for a 4 star is a good one....

I wondered about 4 stars - and looked at the Prince, but it seems a bit far out of the 'action'. We were looking for something a little closer to Waikiki beach area.

The Marriott looks good, but seems to be going for around $140.

Any other suggestions?

you can always pray that priceline downgrades the Park Shore again...Prince Kuhio was just about guaranteed, boy that was a great few months! Hope you can score it on Priceline.

Keep an eye out for other winning posts. IF things don't work out with Priceline, you might even want to look into using the Entertainment Book for Outrigger. Have to say, wouldn't pay the regular $150 a night rate for the Radisson Prince Kuhio but if you can get it under $100 it is a great little place and good location. Good Luck!

Edit: Oh...also, last year we used the ET coupon book to get discount at Aston Pacific Monarch. I think discount rate for studios w/ a partial view were about $90. They are condos, so you won't get all the amenities of a hotel but views from the rooftop pool were wonderful, they all have kitchens and it's less than a 5 minute walk to Waikiki Beach, by Duke's Statue area.

....it's the free rebid zone thing that I don't fully understand

We'll walk you thru it.

List each zone in this area and the highest star rating offered by Priceline in the area.

The way to check what star levels are available in each zone is to open a Priceline page, check ONLY the zone you are inquiring about, and then proceed to the next page (as if you were going to select a zone)... this will give you the available star ratings in that area. You can then hit BACK on your browser, uncheck the current box, check the next box, and repeat the process. It is important to do this before EACH attempt at adding a zone that you really don't want, as new hotels can be added and the star ratings can change at any time.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Not really what we were looking for. Post something like this:

Executive Center ... (highest star rated in this zone goes here)

Honolulu Airport ... (highest star rated in this zone goes here)

Ihilani ... (highest star rated in this zone goes here)

Waikiki South ... (highest star rated in this zone goes here)

Does that make sense? You can re-read the quote above to see how to figure out the highest star rating in each zone.

If you're still confused just ask. :)

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Ok, you almost got it... :)

The Ihilani zone offers Resort bidding (which are 'higher' than 4), as does the two Waikiki zones, so your list should like this:

Executive Centre - 2 star

Airport - 2 star

Ilhani - Resort

Waikiki North - Resort

Waikiki South - Resort

If you disagree with the above then let us know so we can explain it further.

So now let's create an example...

If you bid 'Resort' for Waikiki South and are rejected, Priceline then says you need to add a zone in order to be able to bid again. So if you added the Airport zone (where there is nothing higher than 2*), you know you can't win a hotel in that newly added zone because none of the hotels in that area meet your minimum star requirement (which is Resort).

This concept is explained very well by looking at the picture about 9 posts down in the RE-BID thread.

Is it any clearer now? Still have questions?

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]