Hotwire Hotel: Please help me indentify a 3* Downtown Austin and Town Lake area hotel

cvgayle
By cvgayle,
in

I am doing a search including two guests, May 5 - 9.

Amenities:

Airport Shuttle, Fitness Center, Restaurant(s), Laundry Facilities (self-service), High-Speed Internet Access

I am thinking it is the Holiday Inn Austin Town Lake. Any other ideas? TIA! :)

• 4 weeks later...

I ended up not booking this room, but have some backups in place. I will complete the thread before we leave.

I'm curious, though. My husband and I travel to many cities in the USA, but I have never encountered a city where hotel rooms are at such a high nightly rate. Most 3 - 4* rooms are well over $200.00 Is this the norm for Austin? Am I missing something...is something going on during this time? I have been pricing rooms in Austin for well over six weeks. Room rates seem to be going up during our visit dates, rather than falling. I'm glad I have the backups in place.

Any info/experience from others regarding Austin would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Austin isn't usually that expensive. I'm not sure what is happening during these specific dates, but it could be something at a nearby university or college.

How much is the HOTWIRE property above? Where and how much are your back-up reservation(s)?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Keep us updated on your progress and let us know if we can be of further help.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

When I started this thread, the room in question was going for $148.00, it was a one day sale. Since then, the rate for the same hotel (I believe) has been over $200.00. I believe the hotel is the Holiday Inn.

I checked the UT graduation ceremony schedule and they don't start until after we leave. I dunno'...maybe folks roll into town early for that? Huge university, so lots of people!

I have back-ups for...

The Holiday Inn- AUSTIN-TOWN LAKE:

Sat 5 May 2012 - $190.00 (USD)

1 room(s)

Sun 6 May 2012 - Tue 8 May 2012 $171.00 (USD)

1 room(s)

Tax: $105.45 (USD)

Estimated Total Price: $808.45 (USD)

Residence Inn Marriot:

Saturday, May 5, 2012 - Wednesday, May 9, 2012 ( 4 nights ) 288.00

AAA rate, AAA membership card required

Estimated government taxes and fees 43.20

Total for stay (for all rooms) 1,324.80 <-----TOO MUCH!! I need to save my money for Europe this summer! I have a lot of Marriot gift cards, but I'm not going to waste them on this. Need to cancel!

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Austin - University Area:

Rate Information:

Rate Type: AAA RATE

Rate per night: 129.00 USD

Total for Stay per Room:

Rate 516.00 USD

Taxes 77.40 USD

Total 593.40 USD Decent rate, but the location might be a little too far from the action. We prefer to walk or cab it, I don't want to rent a car.

Total for Stay: 593.40 USD

• 3 weeks later...

We ended up staying at the The Holiday Inn- AUSTIN-TOWN LAKE. $808.45 (USD) for the four nights. Nice stay, but kind of pricey!

I never figured out why the room rates in Austin were so high during our stay...besides Cinco de Mayo, a street fair downtown, and a big softball tournament over the weekend. Didn't see a whole lot else going on.

We ended up staying at the The Holiday Inn- AUSTIN-TOWN LAKE. $808.45 (USD) for the four nights.

Was this a hotel direct purchase or thru PRICELINE / HOTWIRE?

While perhaps none of the events you listed were large by themselves, collectively all three happening at once may have made this a difficult win.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Was this a hotel direct purchase or thru PRICELINE / HOTWIRE?

While perhaps none of the events you listed were large by themselves, collectively all three happening at once may have made this a difficult win.

No, this was a direct purchase through Holiday Inn. As I continued to check the Hotwire rates before our trip, the nightly rate (which I believe was for The Holiday Inn- AUSTIN-TOWN LAKE) never went below the cost of making the reservation directly with the hotel.

I believe you are correct, thereuare ...collectively, a lot of rooms were purchased for these days. There were some "conventioneers" roaming about the city, as well.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]