Priceline Hotel: 4* Las Vegas (Strip South) Tropicana

waver99
By waver99,
in

Hi all,

I am looking for a place to stay in Las Vegas, that is either at the Strip, or at most, a 10 min walk from the Strip. Would like to get a 4* or better hotel and above with a budget of around $100. Am relatively new to Priceline as I only started using it a couple of days ago to get a hotel in New York City. Would appreciate any guide on which locations I should bid on that would fit my requirement.

Thanks in advance!

Are you willing to pay more for a higher rated hotel OR is your goal the least expensive 4* or better for this stay?

If you look at PRICELINE's Strip North and Strip South zones, are both of these acceptable? Is something like the Tropicana acceptable?

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Let us know the above and we'll take it from there.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Hi thereuare,

in this case, I would rather try for a 5* hotel first and then a 4* hotel. Looking at the north/south strip on priceline, I am unable to tell which one is close enough to the strip, as I have no idea which one it is. Looking at wiki though, it seems tropicana is located right on the strip and therefore fine with me.

Regards.

The list of hotels that have been reported to the board in Vegas as participating on PRICELINE can be found here: Priceline Hotel List Nevada. New hotels may appear and star ratings may change at times, but those are the hotels that are "known" at this point. There is no way to ensure a particular property - one has to be willing to accept any hotels within the shaded zone/s selected at the chosen star rating.

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

Hi Aaron,

thanks for the clarification. I understand that its not possible choosing a particular hotel. I was just replying to thereuare's question on whether I would be okay with getting the tropicana. Is there anything I should be concerned about at the Tropicana? Could I check whether all properties in the 4*/5* level at the following areas are about 10~15 mins walk from the strip.

Strip North, Strip Vicinity North Condo, Strip Vicinity South seems the closest. Even Strip West/East seems abit out of the way.

Regards.

The Tropicana is very well located on the 'Four Corners' section of the strip (MGM, NYNY, Excalibur and Tropicana). The Trop has recently been totally renovated, and generally has received good reviews since their completion, but there is still a 'stigma' attached by some as the property had been in need of repair/restoration for such a long time, and now that it is finally completed, it is hard to shake previous preconceived notions.

You should be able to be on the strip (or at the very least 10-15 minute walk of it) within your budget without a problem. The question is that a 4* hotel may be available for ~$50/nite where as a 5* will likely cost you closer to your maximum budget of $100... is the 5* worth twice as much as the 4*? This will then determine if you first want to bid for a 5* up to your limit (or some other figure) OR try for the least expensive 4* or better for this trip.

Let us know your thoughts and we'll take it from there.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Hi thereuare,

I would like to try for a 5* hotel first up till my budget limit and then try for a 4*. For both the 5* & 4* hotels, I am looking only at the Strip North. Is this a realistic budget? The reason for the change is that I wanted to avoid some hotels in Strip South and realise the only realistic way of doing it with Priceline is to avoid the region totally.

Just one question, is the Trump International within 15 mins walk to the Strip?

Regards.

I was in Vegas about a month ago and figured i'd use the opportunity to walk the Trump so i could see first exactly how convenient/inconvenient it was, and here is my take:

It's less than a 15 minute walk to Wynn, so you can fairly easily get to 'the strip', but as the Wynn won't typically be your sole destination on the strip (and it's located in the northern most part of what most consider to be 'the strip', you'll then have to add walking time to the center strip, which when you look at the trip in total the time can begin to add up. So in summary it's really not that far to Wynn, Venetian, Treasure Island... but any points south of that and you're starting to look at an 'inconvenience'.

TWO OTHER POINTS in this regard:

1) it's not a 'nice' walk... you're walking on a fairly infrequently traveled road between an empty lot and the Fashion Show mall (although if heading to points south of the Wynn such as Treasure Island, Venetian, etc. a better route is to walk through the mall. There is a mall entrance directly across the street from the Trump

2) there was a sign in the Trump lobby indicating they offer scheduled shuttle service to the strip

With the above noted, be aware that the Trump is in PRICELINE's Strip North Condo zone... were you looking to include this zone in your Strip North bidding or were you only looking to bid Strip North for this trip?

Please confirm the zone(s) and we'll advise accordingly.

Thanks for the very comprehensive reply. From what you advised I would prefer to stay at the Strip itself. I guess that means the Trump is out too and am really just bidding for the strip north. I would like to try for a 5* hotel first for my budget failing which, would not mind a 4* one.

Thanks!

When bidding 5* in Vegas you have ELEVEN re-bid zones. At the 4* level you have FOUR re-bid zones (NOTE: Summerlin is not one of them) If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 5* Strip North...

Bid $75, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $78, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $80, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $83, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $85, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $88, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $90, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $93, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $95, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $98, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $99, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $100

If the above is rejected, closer browser and use this link to re-access PRICELINE and try:

Select 4* Strip North...

Bid $80, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $85, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $90, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $95, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $100

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Please keep all posts for the same stay in the same thread. (if you ultimately use HOTWIRE when you click the EDIT TO REPORT win button on the lower right this thread will automatically be moved to that section of the board)

The HOTWIRE property above is a match for the Tropicana so that would be my best guess for this one.

Did you try any of the 5* bidding strategy above?

I tried for the 5* hotels up till $105/night and for the 4* up till $50/night. When I did not win, I thought it seemed cheaper to just go fro the hotwire property straight instead of continuing to bid as that seemed a cheaper option. Given that the tropicana is one of the 4* hotels in Priceline, I wonder why my bid was not accepted as what I read on your board is that generally, Priceline is around 15% cheaper than Hotwire. Then again, there might always be a risk that it is not the tropicana.

Just a quick question on the hotwire hotel. Resort fees are listed at $10/night whereas its $20/night on most searches I find. Should I be concerned that perhaps this is a different hotel. Of course I know that its impossible to guarantee the hotel, but has there ever been cases where the same hotel had different resort fees reported on hotwire during different periods?

While this amenity set does match previous reports for the Tropicana, upon further inspection i think this may actually be the Westin (and the $10 resort fee is more inline with the $11.50 they charge)

Hi thereuare,

If I am not wrong, the Westin has one of the amenities listed as spa services, while its absent here. I believe that eliminates it more or less but one can never be sure. I really hope its the tropicana as someone else report a win with resort fee of $10 as the Tropicana.

Hotwire Las Vegas

In any case I will try PRICELINE for a couple of nights and if I get no bites, will use HOTWIRE. Its weird that I can't get a better deal on priceline as compared to hotwire.

Rgs.

It could be a new amenity set for the Westin ;)

The property above has a 3.5/5.0 location rating from previous HOTWIRE guests, and i think the Tropicana would be rated higher than this.

As well, the Westin is currently rated 3.5* on PRICELINE, which would provide a bit of explanation why your 4* bids are being rejected... this property isn't even eligible as a win when you are bidding 4*.

It may very well still be the Tropicana, but if i was to add a second guess, i wouldn't rule out the Westin... neither would be a surprise to me.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]