3* New York City (Midtown East) Independent B&B

bkbkbk
By bkbkbk,
in

First post here-- just started using Priceline on my last trip, and excited to find this site.. if there's anyone around to help, I'd appreciate it. I've been reading around the other threads in the NY section (as well as the other tips sections) and wondering if there's any advice for my situation. I want to stay 4 nights, checking in 4/11 and out on 4/15, in a hotel that's 3* or more (would probably settle for 2.5* though). The areas I'm looking at are (in rough order of preference):

Central Park South

Midtown West

Midtown East

Upper East Side

Upper West Side

Times Square

Chelsea Area

Empire State Building Area

Lower East Side

Soho-Tribeca

We'd really like to find a place that'll come to about $140/night, taxes in (so $115 or under, before tax). Not overly picky.. just somewhere with a subway station in the vicinity. Think we'll be able to find a decent spot to stay for that price in the above areas? CPS is far and away our preferred area.

Spent a while bidding today, thought I'd update.

For a 4* in Central Park South, I bid from $90-$110 in $5 increments (using the re-bid process described on another post), with no luck.

Same for 3.5* in the same area.

Struck out today, and not sure if there'll be any more of a chance of these prices being accepted in the next few days. I'll go up to $115 tomorrow, probably. If that doesn't work, I'll try for a different area. Suggestions welcome..

Welcome to Betterbidding. :)

The slowest period of the year runs from around January to mid-March, then rates really do start climbing - unfortunately - into April and especially May. For these dates, rates are definitely on the high side for the season and $140 "all-in" (taxes/fees) included is going to be unlikely. Given the HOTWIRE rates that I'm seeing for these dates, my guess is that you're likely looking at the $125-150 (depending on the zone, and possibly a bit higher) range (before taxes) for a 3* for these dates in Midtown. A 4* in Midtown is likely going to range from $160-190 (and possibly higher, depending on zone) for these dates.

Thank you for using the site's HOTWIRE or PRICELINE links to start your purchases and searches.

I started yesterday with 3* $100 in CPS (for 4/11-4/15), then went up by $5 each time, adding Times Square/Theater District, Midtown West, and then Upper West Side. No luck.

Then I tried at 2.5* and $115 for those areas and Lower East Side, Upper East Side, and Midtown East.

I'll try 2* places when I'm eligible to bid again today. But it looks like my price range is turning out to be pretty unrealistic. I've found hostels to stay in, but even they're upwards of $150/night in a 4-bed mixed dorm. Might have to abandon my NYC vacation plans if I can't find anything 2* today. Not sure how much prices will change between now and then, or if it's worth holding out hope that they will.

I would caution bidding 2* in NYC as it's really a crapshoot if you get something acceptable or something that you might regret.

However, before abandoning why not include other areas of the city... might not be as convenient as midtown but certainly do-able and better than canceling your plans entirely. What about staying outside of the city and commuting in each day... you definitely lose the 'buzz' of staying directly in Manhattan, but again, unless you have another location you'd like to visit it is better than canceling a NYC trip.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Let us know your thoughts and how you'd like to proceed and we'll take it from there.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks for the caution. Because of our lack of success getting anything 2.5* or up, it looks like we'll be booking at a b&b somewhere, but likely not through PRICELINE. Apparently there's barely any availability in the city for these dates at half-decent (and not even..) places, which would help explain our difficulty and the high prices so far. Though we may have found a spot in Midtown East that fits our budget.. fingers crossed. Thanks for the help.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]