Reasonable price for Full size SUV in MYR 7/8-7/15

mljindiana
By mljindiana,
in

I'm a little confused in trying to figure out what to bid. It appears that without any discount codes, I can rent a Full Size SUV from the Myrtle Beach airport 7/8-7/15 for $50/day through both Alamo and National. I hoped that would equate to a $35/day rate through Priceline, but started at $25 since I have plenty of time. I wasn't surprised it was rejected, but it came back with stating a reasonable bid would be $50 with a better chance of getting it if I went with $53. Budget, Avis, and Hertz all have rates closer to $90/day so will that skew the winning bid I can expect through Priceline? Is it reasonable to think that $35/day for a Full Size SUV is possible?

We also have the option of renting 2 cars instead of the Full Size SUV. If we did that, I would go with a convertible since our daughters have always wanted us to do that on vacation and just a standard or maybe even compact car. Our original intention was the full size SUV even though we only have 4 of us, because along with our suitcases we will have golf bags in hard travel cases. We found out the hard way during our Spring Break trip last year that fitting those hard cases in most trunks is quite difficult. Once we arrive at our house rental though, we can easily get by with a regular car as the bags are substantially smaller without the hard case. So what would be a reasonable expectation for renting one convertible plus one standard car? And what about one convertible plus one compact car?

thanks for your help.

Welcome to BetterBidding!

Please start by reading your messages and clicking each of these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links... then reply to this thread and we'll have a look at your post above.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Thanks.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

OK, I read the message you sent. And I had previously clicked on those links before posting the initial question, since I noticed the links in your replies to others and wanted your site to get "credit". And I also used your Car Rental Checker in the Tools above. For the Full Size SUV, I came up with $50/day as the lowest amount using Priceline, Expedia, and Travelocity (found in your Car Rental Checker). Using Hotwire the quote was $46.95/day, which was a little higher than I expected based on the other sites.

I think I'm following your guidance correctly, but feel free to point out something else I need to do before bidding.

You should ignore the suggested prices provided by PRICELINE as they're not very meaningful and we have seen bids accepted even when the "your bid has very little of being accepted" message appears.

At current rates these would be my ballpark guesses for what each car class will likely cost:

Compact: $16-$20

Standard: $18-$22

Convertible: $30-$33

Fullsize SUV: $38-$43

Let us know your thoughts on how you'd like to proceed and we'll take it from there.

One option i did think about when reading your initial thread is how far is your rental from the airport? If it's relatively close, perhaps you could make two trips with one rental car. Yes it will be a bit of an inconvenience upon arrival and again at departure, but if feasible it would save you the cost of renting an additional vehicle for the entire week.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

OK, so my thought of $35 may have been a little low, but it wasn't completely off. After discussing it more tonight, I think we are just going to stick with the Fullsize SUV. But great suggestion to take 2 trips. It's about a 40 minute drive to our rental house, possibly a little more if there's traffic. I don't think that's worth it to me to save the money but I appreciate the idea.

At this point I think I'm going to increase my bid daily and keep watching HOTWIRE also. I'm still hoping for under $40 but anything under $50 saves me from what I could have paid retail.

Thanks for the advice.

One more question while I'm waiting to rebid on Priceline...would it make sense to go ahead and reserve a full size SUV direct with the rental company, since I can cancel that rental when I get a bid accepted? The only reason I'm thinking of doing that is there are only 2 companies offering a Full Size SUV for $350/week (without fees and taxes). All of the other companies are priced at least $400 higher for the week before the fees and taxes. I don't usually see that much variance between companies although this is the first time I've rented a full size SUV. My thought was to grab the $350 reservation now, in case those 2 companies start to increase their pricing to match the competition. I will keep bidding on Priceline and hopefully get a lower bid accepted and cancel the $350 reservation. Any flaw in that logic?

As long as the reservation is fully refundable, it's always a good idea to book as a back-up reservation... you're locked in at current prices if rates rise, and you're able to cancel the reservation if rates drop or your successful on PRICELINE / HOTWIRE.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases. (and please also check our Support Page for your direct bookings)

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]