Hotwire- How they calculate their 'regular' price

renata.br
By renata.br,
in

Hello,

I have been using Hotwire for the past 5 years and I just recently found out how they calculate the 'regular' price that is displayed on their offer screen (the one that is crossed out, on top of the discounted price).

I booked a 3 night stay at a 3.5* Hotel, located within the Central Park District.

The reason why I choose that hotel was because the 'regular price' was quoted at being 195$/night, thereby allowing me to save 110$/ night for it was going for 83$/night.

After booking my stay, I called the hotel to find out what kind of room I will be staying in, and the receptionist informed me that I am booked for a standard room.

That was surprising because, if I would have booked my stay via their website, I would have paid 125$/night for the same dates.

I called Hotwire and they told me that the 'regular' price shown is not directly associated with the property in question but that they take an average of the prices of all of the

hotels found within the same vicinity. Therefore instead of saving 110$/night, I am saving 42$/night.

Hope this helps someone,

Thanks for the post.

This information is listed on their website:

Savings based on median published rate we've found on leading retail travel sites in the last 24-48 hours for the same neighborhood, star rating, and stay dates. Availability is limited and rates are subject to change. Prices are dynamic and vary based on date of booking, length of stay and hotel class. Prices do not include taxes and fees. Hotwire is different from retail travel sites. With Hotwire you enter the date and location. Hotel revealed only after booking.

If you haven't yet, please read your messages.

Thanks.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]