Priceline Hotel: 3.5* New York City (Midtown East) The New York Helmsley Hotel

rainpetal
By rainpetal,
in

I've never tried PL before but I've been reading about it on the forums and I think I have the basics down. I was just looking for a bit more detailed advice.

I'm hoping to bid for a 4* hotel in the TS, MTE, MTW, CPS areas for travel days of April 8-10. Our dates won't be firmed up until mid-March so I won't be bidding until then but we have theater tickets on April 9 so the dates are at least set in wet cement.

I'm hoping to try to bid no more than $150/night, which I understand might be a bit low for the area and the time of year, but I figured I would at least try for something a bit cheaper that the $200/night cancellable reservation at the DoubleTree Metropolitan I currently have set up. I understand the re-bidding concept of adding areas that don't have 4* hotels and increasing my bid incrementally. My main question is, say I start bidding, using my re-bid zones and incrementally adding to my bid until I run out of re-bids at $150 and haven't won anything, what is the next step? Do I wait the 24 hours and then do the exact same thing the next day, or does the strategy change? If I repeat the same bidding system multiple days in a row, how long do I go until I determine it isn't going to happen at that price point and either increase my bid or change my criteria for stars and/or location?

I appreciate any help you can give me.

Welcome to BetterBidding!

My main question is, say I start bidding, using my re-bid zones and incrementally adding to my bid until I run out of re-bids at $150 and haven't won anything, what is the next step?

For the most part the strategy would remain the same until you were successful OR decided to raise your bid or lower your star rating. When you decided to change your maximum bid or lower the star rating depends upon how much 'pressure' you feel to get this trip taken care of, if you have a firm back-up reservation in place, how much time is left before your arrival dates, etc, etc.

The strategy could be tweaked slightly to have bigger bidding increments at the earlier bids (where based upon your previous rejections you have a low chance of winning) and small increments at the higher bid amounts (which still have a low chance of winning based upon previously failed bids, but higher chance then the lower bids simply on the basis that the bid amounts are higher), but this part is probably putting the cart before the horse; once you're dates are firm we'll suggest a strategy to follow, and if that is rejected, we can adjust accordingly.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

My dates are finally set for April 8-10. I was looking at Hotwire for comparison today and found a 3.5* in Midtown East with the following amenities:

Restaurant, Business Center, High-Speed Internet Access

Based off the hotel list, I think it might be the Helmsley New York. Could it be anything else? My only concern is that the Helmsley is under rennovation and I worry a bit about the construction noise. But that would also help explain the dramatic discount.

After talking with my husband and deciding that we were willing to go down to 3.5* in hopes of getting a cheaper price and noticing a 3.5* on Hotwire for $102, I decided to try bidding really low. I started at $75 and increase by $5 increments until I got this hotel for $90/night.

3.5* The New York Helmsley Hotel

4/8/12-4/10/12

$90/night

$45.58 taxes and fees

$225.58 total

More than 51% off from my back up hotel's cost. I'm a bit nervous about the fact that they are under renovation, but I guess I will just pack earplugs and hope for the best.

Congratulations on your success!

This is a GREAT deal for this time of year in NYC. While i can't comment about the construction, i wouldn't worry about it too much as it wont' be happening while you're sleeping and you'll likely be out and about in the city during most of the time its taking place. As well, for a 3.5* property for $90/nite this time of year i'd be willing to tolerate a little inconvenience as this rate is fairly unheard of at the beginning of spring.

Thank you for sharing your win with the board.

Please use the PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links on the board to begin your travel purchases.

Enjoy your stay.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]