Priceline Hotel: 3* Pittsburgh (Downtown) Marriott Pittsburgh City Center

jesstoday
By jesstoday,
in

I used the resources here to bid on a Pittsburgh hotel for Feb 2. I wanted North Shore (Residence Inn) but got rejected. Added Downtown area on & bid $65 (total of $82 with fees/taxes). Ended up with the Pittsburgh Marriott City Center that is basically a bare bones room with none of the amenities I was looking for.... free breakfast & shuttle to downtown.

I called Priceline & they wouldn't change it or help me (as I expected) but when I called Amex they said they would reverse the charge. Has anyone ever done this? Should I attempt to call the Marriott to get them to cancel the reservation?

Any help would be appreciated!

Just for future reference, you can't add the "Downtown" zone to the "North Shore" zone if you want to avoid the downtown hotels. Downtown is not a "free rebid" zone for North Shore because the Downtown zone also has 3* and higher hotels. You need to find rebid zones that only have 2.5* or lower hotels in order to do same-day rebidding and avoid a situation like this. Right now there are 3 Pittsburgh zones that fit that condition, but zones and star ratings are always subject to change - you need to check before you bid each time.

If AMEX will reverse the charge and you really don't want to use the room, that sounds like a good option. I'm not sure how Priceline would feel, though.

none of the amenities I was looking for.... free breakfast & shuttle to downtown.

In my experience, the higher the star level, the less likely free breakfast is offered. With 3 1/2* over in the "usually not" column.

Airport hotels are more likely to offer free breakfast. It is pretty unlikely in downtown higher star level hotels.

While one will often find free shuttle service to the airport, free shuttle to downtown isn't terribly common either. Especially for a hotel that calls itself a downtown hotel.

I know the airport hotels in Pittsburg do have a radius of free shuttle service to adjacent areas. The airport is quite a ways out though, and I think the radius only extends to a nearby shopping center and a nearby restaurants. There is a city bus service from the shopping center downtown.

Some geographic areas seem to have free breakfast more often.

Romelle

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]