LAS Car Rental

hohogap
By hohogap,
in

I travel often and have used National for car rentals over the years using a GM discount. Since the GM bankruptcy (and Enterprise buying National), I've had a harder time getting as great a rate on my personal rentals as I used to obtain. Case in point is our trip to Las Vegas January 1-5, 2012. National has no real discounts, no special weekend fares or other options to reduce the rate for a mid-size car from over $300, including taxes and fees. Hotwire and PL listed much lower rates for other car rental companies ($100 total), however, with my National Executive Elite status the time saved picking up the car and the possibility of getting larger car at the same rate is very attractive, even if there was a "moderate" premium to be paid. I consider an extra $200 to be exorbitant, not moderate. Hence, I booked with National through CarRentals.com (and, as always,all bids and searches are made through the BB links, in this case via BB's HOTWIRE link) for a total rental cost of $145.00, all in. Instead of trying to scam my way into a larger car with my Executive Elite card at the airport, I called National today stating that my assistant had forgot to add my Emerald Aisle number to a reservation made yesterday. It took 2 minutes, but the agent stated that National would "match" the rate and honor my Executive Elite status (and gave me a new reservation number). I'm not sure what matching meant since I already had a mid-size car reserved at National, but I was pleasantly surprised at the result and will consider going this way again for personal rentals. Has anyone else had such experience, or can suggest other avenues to lower the price and maintain your elite privileges when renting a car?

• 2 months later...
Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]