in

Started by using the PRICELINE link on this board

Then won the first try for this rental

Your Offer Price: $15.00 (per day)

Total Rental Days: 7 days

Subtotal: $105.00

Taxes and Fees: $61.83

Total Charges: $166.83

All told, the toal price averages out to less than $24 per day, so that's a price I can live with for sure. Got our hotel for free with reward points... so now to buy lift tickets for this ski vacation!

~Jen

• 3 weeks later...

I'm a bit rusty. I let the agent at the Alamo counter talk me into spending $130 more for an upgraded vehicle. (shaking head)

He told me that the Standard Car I'd reserved would be only a 4-cylinder vehicle, and that such a car would be risky to take into the Colorado mountains. He offered an SUV for $25/day extra, but knocked it to $15/day when I whipped out my National Emerald Club Executive loyalty card.

I wish I had stuck to my original reservation - I hate spending extra. If I had thought about it more carefully at the time, I would have realized:

• that he was describing Economy Cars, not Standard Cars
  • I had the right to go look at the Standard Car selection to decide for myself whether it would be "risky"
  • highway driving, even in the Colorado mountains, is something that small cars do every day, comfortably
  • if the weather turned (it never did during our trip, thanksfully) they'll close the highway or we'll decide to stay put anyway - a special car isn't going to make us drive any differently
  • the SUV we got was a small one, with the same engine power as any Standard Car they could have given us
  • it was all just a profit-motivated scare tactic: "you'll be going to 11,000 feet!" was referring to the altitude at the peaks of mountains - cars don't drive on the peaks! They drive on the roads that are 5000-8000 feet above sea level in this part of the country, broad and spacious.

I'm not angry, because I did understand and agree to the extra charges before the rental. But I am kicking myself for letting myself be convinced by faulty logic. I'm using this experience as a learning occasion.

~Jen

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]