Priceline Hotel: Chicago 8/27/05, 1 night

manico
By manico,
in

Hello,

I am traveling to Chicago in August and need a second night in the city for August 27, 2005. I prefer to stay in the River North/Mag. Mile area but the Loop is also an alternative. I'm trying to get a room at a 4-Star hotel for around $80 but is this impossible? I've checked and there are no big conventions scheduled for that week. Any insights, bidding tips would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Welcome to BetterBidding!

Would you want to bid up to your maximum for the Mag Mile/River North area before trying for the Loop, or is price more important and you would rather be in the Loop area if it is less expensive?

Let us know and we'll suggest a strategy to follow.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks....for me price is more important since I know the area pretty well and being in the Loop instead of Mag Mile/River North is the tradeoff. I am knew to this as I've only used Priceline a couple of times in the past, primarily for rental cars so any help is appreciated! :)

You have two re-bid zones available when bidding 4* in the Chicago area. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read PRICELINE RE-BIDDING EXPLAINED and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 4* NMA...

Bid $55, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $60, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $65, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* Loop...

Bid $55, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $60, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $65, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* NMA and Loop...

Bid $70, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $75, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $80, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

The above should take you up to your limit. I don't think the very early bids have much of a chance, but it's always worth a shot (so don't get discouraged if the early bids fail).

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

You are trying for a Saturday night only? There's a known Saturday night check-in problem in Chicago. It is rare to find a PL hotel in Chicago that allows a Saturday night as the first night or only night - at least at the 3* and 4* levels. I have seen myself when researching rates that hotels will show "sold out" for Saturday night on their web sites - when they have that night available for part of a stay that started earlier in the week. I know it sounds crazy since occupancy should be lower on the weekend.

Have you tried Hotwire? I don't know if HW has the same Saturday problem.

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the information. Saturday night stays in general seem to be a problem for Chicago, even with Hotwire. I ended up booking directly with the Renaissance Hotel by O'Hare at $89 per night and taking the train into town. Actually was convenient as the El station is right outside and only took 25-30 minutes to the Loop. Only cheap alternative I could find!

Forgot to mention that I tried the suggestions posted above for bidding on Priceline several times over a 3-5 day period (waiting the appropriate time in between tries) and never got the price I wanted. I went as high as $82 (didn't want to go any higher because fees/taxes meant I could book it cheaper directly) and never got an acceptance.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]